Windows 8 question

Champak

I haven't been here for a while, I just installed win8.1 and wondering a few things. I specifically installed it for the bing traffic map and was wondering a couple things.

1/ is the weather and traffic IE based apps that I can embed in my program like a regular IE window?

2/ if not, can I call those applications from my app, or do they only work in tile mode?

3/ any issues in programming in win8...meaning do I have to upgrade my programming from win7?

Thanks.

my semi-serious recommendation: wait for Windows 10, and keep your fingers crossed, really really tight.  ;)

Windows 8 has two different modes for Internet Explorer - one for the ordinary desktop, and one for Metro ("Tiles"). just make sure you are using the desktop one, and you are probably OK.

one thing i can say about Windows 8 scripting (which is also true for Vista & Win7, but Win8 took it to the edge): do not tackle UAC.

other than that, most other stuff i tried seems to be in order. but of course, other people might not share my view... search the forum for Windows 8 issues to get a notion of what you ought to be expecting.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

I get no end of problems at work when they try and use and app instead of a the program side

A lot of the apps just dont work properly so id be carefull trying to grab them

Thanks,

I can't wait for win10, because I usually don't upgrade OS...if I do...until about a year and half after it's release. Plus I need this app now.

But IF I wanted to grab them, just to see if the one I want will play nice, where do I start looking to incorporate it?

Also, since the upgrade, scite doesn't open the compile dialogue. It just makes the script into an app with no options. Is this how it works now? I never had to do anything extra before.

the compiler behavior is controlled by wrapper directives - look it up in the SciTe help (not the AutoIT help!): in SciTe, "Help" menu, "SciTe help". once in the help file, switch to tab "Contents", "Extra Utilities" > "AutoIt3Wrapper" > "Directives Available".

EDIT: if you need the compiler GUI: Start > Programs > AutoIt v3 > Compile Script to .exe

Edited by orbs

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff