Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyingboz

non-admin users change own active directory password

4 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm looking at a situation where a client has an application deployed via RemoteApp, no full RDP desktop or web interface available.  As the RemoteApp is published on a network share, it is invoked via a batch file, launched via a published .rdp file.

I've run into an issue with being able to allow users to change their own passwords.  I don't want to have to deal with changing users passwords, or knowing what they are; if I expire or require a password change, the users are simply locked out, there is no opportunity for them to change their password themselves.

Ideally, I'd like to write or find a command line utility I could insert into the batch file that launches the remote app to address this deficiency.

I've poked around in the ActiveDirectory UDF, which seems to be a great tool, but without a function written for the use case where the password change is desired to be forced upon the current user ( who is NOT an admin).  

Note:  net user / domain requires admin rights.  
           pspasswd, while awesome, also requires admin rights.

Does anyone have a UDF or Function utility that they use to allow a user to change their own domain password from the command line?

I've seen a couple of powershell examples, but I'd love to be able to compile or drop in a command line oriented  passwd.exe utility that would work similarly to the *nix equivalent.  

The pspasswd sysinternals utility does not seem to  have this use case in mind -- in my tests you have to be an admin to change a password.

Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

I've worked with a number of third party applications that allow single sign on as well as self-unlock and self-password reset for non-admin users. In all cases, the application uses a service account that has the rights to perform the action.

While this works, it is not ideal in AutoIt. In essence you would be doing a RunAs, and embedding credentials into a script that could be opened with minimal effort.

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

Thanks for the reply / insight.  I'm not interested particularly in anything more than a command line interface to allow the user to change their own password.  While single-sign on has its uses, its not really germane to the core topic.

If I give users full remote desktop access they have the permissions to change their password via the GUI.  At its most basic, there should be a command line equivalent that asks the user to enter their old password, then their new one w/ confirmation.  Conceptually, there shouldn't need to be any additional proof that the user is who they say they are, they've already been authenticated, and the remoteapp started.

I don't think I should need a service or other 'trickery' involved, because I have access to the user environment  -- I am setting the user default printer in the batch script that runs each time they initiate the remoteapp.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

While this works, it is not ideal in AutoIt. In essence you would be doing a RunAs, and embedding credentials into a script that could be opened with minimal effort.

Time ago, searching in Google for RunAs, in order to find some way to hide a pasword from usual users executing Admin tasks, is when i found and started to use Autoit.

Now, i have several big projects growing for years, working fine and developped in AutoiT, that is better and gives me much more posibilities than i expected. :)

After fighting vs UAC for 9 months, because a migration from XP, and winning to NamedPipes this week, i am allmost happy.

Cheers. :shifty:

My english shucks, i know it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• VIP
      By VIP
      I can not do anything with any user in the "Local Users Group"
      I tried from my account but I could not change my password (ie set new password)!
      But I was able to activate the Administrator account and I logged into the Administrator account and still could not do anything with my account! But I can set the password and disable the Administrator account from my account or Administrator.
      Any ideas? (Ignore the click on the Sign-in option in the Change Accout settings.)

• CarlD
      By CarlD
      I'm a command-line kind of guy, and I write scripts primarily for myself.  Since many websites nowadays require strong passwords, I thought I'd write a simple password generator in AutoIt. I know that AutoIt mavens have written more elaborate pw generators; I offer mine for what it's worth. The compiled script, GenPass.exe, can be downloaded here. See below for Help text and source. Enjoy!
      Updates:
      2017-05-06: Default password changed to variable length of 13-22 characters; argument "1" no longer supported
                            When compiled as GenPW.exe, password is sent directly to the clipboard, no message box unless password generation fails.
      2017-05-05: Correction to bypass password generation if argument is ?|H|h
      2017-05-03: Added special argument 1 to generate a password of variable length (10-18 characters) including two (2) separator characters
      2017-05-02: Added option /S to set a (persistent) randomization seed
      Help:
      GenPass.exe|GenPW.exe -- CLD rev. 2017-05-06
      Generate a strong password and save it to the Windows clipboard
      Note: GenPW.exe has the same functionality as GenPass.exe, but
            sends the generated password directly to the clipboard.
            No message box is displayed (unless password generation fails).

"Strong" means that the password contains random combinations of
      alphnumeric characters, including at least one uppercase letter
      (A-N,P-Z), one lowercase letter (a-k,m-z), and one number (0-9).
      (Generated passwords do not use uppercase O or lowercase l as
      these characters are easily confused with the numbers 0 and 1.)
      The length of the password is up to you (see Usage, below),
      but needless to say, the longer, the stronger.
      By default, GenPass generates a strong password of between 13
      and 22 characters that includes two of the following separator
      characters: $%&()*+,-./:;@[]_. Alternatively, you can supply a
      command-line argument in which any number n from 1 to 9 stands
      for a random sequence of alphanumeric characters of length
      n, and any other character stands for itself. Thus, you can
      include fixed words and other characters, such as separators,
      in the generated password. Spaces in the argument are converted
      to underscores. Here are some examples:
      Usage             Sample output
      -----             -------------
      GenPass           MqU26A*6dS-53r8
      GenPass 9         frdhPYDs9
      GenPass 58        weoXYHKxDI1uQ
      GenPass 5.5       UfA6j.43VBB
      GenPass 3-4-3     0I0-6gq4-njc
      GenPass 5,3.7     I2FSR,tRZ.fjeIsFy
      GenPass 3)5(3     UMf)m8513(CBq
      GenPass 3[haha]3  yLa[haha]P3y
      GenPass Yes way5  Yes_way1BsUh
      Seed Option (/S)
      ----------------
      Adding switch /S to the command-line argument causes GenPass to
      set a seed for the random generation of password characters. A
      bare /S sets a randomized seed which is written to disk in a file
      named GenPass.rnd; this seed is used for all subsequent launches
      of GenPass with the bare /S option. Alternatively, you can specify
      a seed (range -2^31 to 2^31-1) on the command line with /S [seed].
      Here are some examples:
      GenPass /S
      GenPass /S 33.3333
      GenPass 5,5,5 /S
      GenPass 5,5,5 /S 33.3333
      Note that any subsequent launch of GenPass without the /S option
      will cause GenPass.rnd to be deleted.
      Source:
      #Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** #AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=GenPass.exe #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=y #EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** #cs GENPASS.AU3 -- AutoIt v3 CLD rev.2017-05-05 ------------------ Generate a strong password and save it to the clipboard >> Command GenPass ? for detailed help << ------------------------------------------------------- #ce #include <Clipboard.au3> #include <FileConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <StringConstants.au3> AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", -4) FileInstall ("d:\path\GenPass.htm", @ScriptDir & "\GenPass.htm", $FC_OVERWRITE) ; Template/Seed Local $sTemp = "" Local $bSeed = False, $fSeed=False If $CmdLine[0] Then $sTemp = $CmdLineRaw If $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0]] = "/s" Then $bSeed = True $sTemp = StringTrimRight($sTemp, 2) $sTemp = StringStripWS($sTemp, $STR_STRIPTRAILING) EndIf If $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0] - 1] = "/s" Then $bSeed = True $fSeed = $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0]] $sTemp = StringTrimRight($sTemp, 3 + StringLen($fSeed)) $sTemp = StringStripWS($sTemp, $STR_STRIPTRAILING) EndIf EndIf If Not $sTemp Then $sTemp = "8" If $sTemp = "1" Then $aSeps = StringSplit("#$%&()*+,-./:;@[]_", "") $sTemp = String(Random(3,6,1)) & $aSeps[Random(1,$aSeps[0],1)] & _ String(Random(2,4,1)) & $aSeps[Random(1,$aSeps[0],1)] & _ String(Random(3,6,1)) EndIf $sFn = @ScriptDir&"\GenPass.rnd" If $bSeed Then If Not $fSeed Then If Not FileExists($sFn) Then $fSeed = Random(-1.999^31,1.999^31,0) $h=FileOpen($sFn,2) If $h > -1 Then FileWrite($h,$fSeed) FileClose($h) Else Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONWARNING, @ScriptName, "Error opening " & $sFn) EndIf Else $h=FileOpen($sFn) If $h > -1 Then $fSeed=FileRead($h) FileClose($h) Else Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONWARNING, @ScriptName, "Error opening " & $sFn) EndIf EndIf EndIf SRandom($fSeed) Else If FileExists($sFn) Then FileDelete($sFn) EndIf ; Show help If StringInStr("?Hh", $sTemp) Then If WinExists("[REGEXPTITLE:GenPass.exe:.*]") Then WinActivate("[REGEXPTITLE:GenPass.exe:.*]") Else ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & "\GenPass.htm") EndIf Exit EndIf ; Main $sTemp = StringReplace($sTemp, " ", "_") $iC = 1 While $iC < 10001 $sPW = GenPW($sTemp) If $sPW Then ClipPut($sPW) If Not StringInStr (@ScriptName, "GenPW") Then _ MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, @ScriptName, $sPW & _ " saved to clipboard" & @CRLF & @CRLF & _ @ScriptName & " ? shows detailed help") Exit Else $iC += 1 EndIf WEnd Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONWARNING, @ScriptName, "Password generation failed!") ;------------------------------- Func GenPw($sTemplate) Local $aIn = StringSplit($sTemplate,"") Local $sOut = "" Local $sABC = _ "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789" Local $aAB = StringSplit($sABC, "") Local $bUC = 0, $bLC = 0, $bNR = 0 For $i = 1 To $aIn[0] If Int($aIn[$i]) Then $iK = $aIn[$i] For $j = 1 To $iK $iR = Random(1, $aAB[0],1) Select Case StringInStr("0123456789", $aAB[$iR]) $bNR = 1 Case StringInStr("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ", _ $aAB[$iR], $STR_CASESENSE) $bUC = 1 Case StringInStr("abcdefghijklmnpqrstuvwxyz", _ $aAB[$iR], $STR_CASESENSE) $bLC = 1 EndSelect $sOut &= $aAB[$iR] Next Else $sOut &= $aIn[$i] EndIf Next If ($bUC And $bLC And $bNR) Then Return $sOut Else Return 0 EndIf EndFunc  
    • Fenzik
      By Fenzik
      ; Title .........: Password
      ; AutoIt Version : 3.3.14.2
      ; Description ...: UDF to work with passwords. Mostly ported from Javascript at http:rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php and improved a bit
      ; Author(s) .....: Fenzik + Team Adaptech
      ; #CURRENT# =====================================================================================================================
      ;_Password_Generate
      ;_Password_GetcharsetSize
      ;_Password_GetEntropy
      ;_Password_IsCommonWord
      ;_Password_Startup
      ; ===============================================================================================================================

It's my first UDF so please be nice.:)

If somebody have better idea how to store common dictionary and frequency table please post here...

Have fun!

Fenzik

Password.zip
    • colombeen
      By colombeen
      Hi guys,
      I have a pretty advanced question...

This is the issue i'm facing :
      On a regular basis we need to install pfx certificates (with password protection) on devices from external companies.
      To install the certificate we always have to contact the user, setup a really dull and long process to get an RDP session to that device, install the certificate.

I'm looking for :
      a way to generate exe files on the fly, that will include the pfx file and password, and automatically install them without any interaction from the user, and the user not being able to retrieve the password to install the certificate.

Question :
      Is this possible with AutoIT? And if so, does anyone have a working example for the certificate installation part or the auto generate with file include?

Thx in advance
      colombeen
      By 31290
      Hi guys, 
      I'd like to write a piece of tool that would allow me to update a certain field in our Active Directory from a comma separated csv file composed like this:

This file, automatically generated, can hold more than 10k lines.
      Thus, I need column A to be in one variable, column B in a second one and column C in a third one.
      I'm really missing this part as updating the AD is fairly easy once the 3 variable are populated. 
      I see things like this:
      Here's my attempts at the moment:
      #include <File.au3> #include <Array.au3> Global $csv_file = @DesktopDir & "\Book1.csv" Global $aRecords If Not _FileReadToArray($csv_file,$aRecords) Then MsgBox(4096,"Error", " Error reading log to Array error:" & @error) Exit EndIf For $x = 1 to $aRecords[0] Msgbox(0,'Record:' & $x, $aRecords[$x]) ; Shows the line that was read from file $csv_line_values = StringSplit($aRecords[$x], ",",1) ; Splits the line into 2 or more variables and puts them in an array ; _ArrayDisplay($csv_line_values) ; Shows what's in the array you just created. ; $csv_line_values[0] holds the number of elements in array ; $csv_line_values[1] holds the value ; $csv_line_values[2] holds the value ; etc Msgbox(0, 0, $csv_line_values[1]) Next Any help on this please? 
      Thanks in advance
      -31290-