non-admin users change own active directory password

I'm looking at a situation where a client has an application deployed via RemoteApp, no full RDP desktop or web interface available.  As the RemoteApp is published on a network share, it is invoked via a batch file, launched via a published .rdp file.

I've run into an issue with being able to allow users to change their own passwords.  I don't want to have to deal with changing users passwords, or knowing what they are; if I expire or require a password change, the users are simply locked out, there is no opportunity for them to change their password themselves.

Ideally, I'd like to write or find a command line utility I could insert into the batch file that launches the remote app to address this deficiency.

I've poked around in the ActiveDirectory UDF, which seems to be a great tool, but without a function written for the use case where the password change is desired to be forced upon the current user ( who is NOT an admin).  

Note:  net user / domain requires admin rights.  
           pspasswd, while awesome, also requires admin rights.

Does anyone have a UDF or Function utility that they use to allow a user to change their own domain password from the command line?

I've seen a couple of powershell examples, but I'd love to be able to compile or drop in a command line oriented  passwd.exe utility that would work similarly to the *nix equivalent.  

The pspasswd sysinternals utility does not seem to  have this use case in mind -- in my tests you have to be an admin to change a password.

Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

• Moderators

I've worked with a number of third party applications that allow single sign on as well as self-unlock and self-password reset for non-admin users. In all cases, the application uses a service account that has the rights to perform the action.

While this works, it is not ideal in AutoIt. In essence you would be doing a RunAs, and embedding credentials into a script that could be opened with minimal effort.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Thanks for the reply / insight.  I'm not interested particularly in anything more than a command line interface to allow the user to change their own password.  While single-sign on has its uses, its not really germane to the core topic.

If I give users full remote desktop access they have the permissions to change their password via the GUI.  At its most basic, there should be a command line equivalent that asks the user to enter their old password, then their new one w/ confirmation.  Conceptually, there shouldn't need to be any additional proof that the user is who they say they are, they've already been authenticated, and the remoteapp started.

I don't think I should need a service or other 'trickery' involved, because I have access to the user environment  -- I am setting the user default printer in the batch script that runs each time they initiate the remoteapp.

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

While this works, it is not ideal in AutoIt. In essence you would be doing a RunAs, and embedding credentials into a script that could be opened with minimal effort.

Time ago, searching in Google for RunAs, in order to find some way to hide a pasword from usual users executing Admin tasks, is when i found and started to use Autoit.

Now, i have several big projects growing for years, working fine and developped in AutoiT, that is better and gives me much more posibilities than i expected. :)

After fighting vs UAC for 9 months, because a migration from XP, and winning to NamedPipes this week, i am allmost happy.

Cheers. :shifty:

My english shucks, i know it.