Outline font?

ning

Okay, I'm developing a script to view Flickr photos in a full screen window, while downloading photos from one user (I am benshepherd, by the way) in the background. It's almost completed (well, almost out of beta anyway), I'm very proud of it and it will be posted here soon. What I want help with is this:

I have a Pic control, and I'm putting a Label on top of that to show information about the photo. To be viewable on top of any photo regardless of colour, I've used two labels, one where the font colour is black and one where it's white, slightly offset (by 1 pixel in each direction) to create a shadow effect. An 'outline' effect would be slightly easier to read however - i.e. the label would appear white with a black outline all the way around the letters. I can't seem to find an easy way of doing this though. If I set one font weight to be bigger (bolder) than the others, it adjusts the spacing too, so that the labels don't line up any more. I can create four labels, each offset by 1x1 pixel in a different direction, and this has the effect I'm looking for (see attached file). However, this seems clunky and I think it will slow my script down. Any other ideas?

In fact, it would be nice if there was some kind of rich text label control, that allowed text effects like shadow or outline. Maybe in the next version...?

cheers

ben

New_AutoIt_v3_Script.au3

Okay, I'm developing a script to view Flickr photos in a full screen window, while downloading photos from one user (I am benshepherd, by the way) in the background. It's almost completed (well, almost out of beta anyway), I'm very proud of it and it will be posted here soon. What I want help with is this:

I have a Pic control, and I'm putting a Label on top of that to show information about the photo. To be viewable on top of any photo regardless of colour, I've used two labels, one where the font colour is black and one where it's white, slightly offset (by 1 pixel in each direction) to create a shadow effect. An 'outline' effect would be slightly easier to read however - i.e. the label would appear white with a black outline all the way around the letters. I can't seem to find an easy way of doing this though. If I set one font weight to be bigger (bolder) than the others, it adjusts the spacing too, so that the labels don't line up any more. I can create four labels, each offset by 1x1 pixel in a different direction, and this has the effect I'm looking for (see attached file). However, this seems clunky and I think it will slow my script down. Any other ideas?

In fact, it would be nice if there was some kind of rich text label control, that allowed text effects like shadow or outline. Maybe in the next version...?

cheers

ben

Instead of using 2 labels you could use

GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0x00ff00); Green

To give the label a background colour.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Instead of using 2 labels you could use

GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0x00ff00); Green

To give the label a background colour.

Yes, good point, and I should have mentioned that. The trouble is, it just looks ugly! And, especially in a large label that could potentially have a lot of text, it obscures the photo. Observe:

Posted Image

Now imagine that top right label with an opaque background. You wouldn't be able to see a quarter of the photo.

I see what you mean. I am not sure that I can help you perhaps others can.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Why thank you. So do I incidentally; it was just that someone I showed it to said that they would prefer outline text. I aim to please... ;)

ben

If the picture above is any representation of the level of the images you will be using... then out-lined text would only diminish the value of the visions inspiration.

8)

NEWHeader1.png