Jon

How to Get Windows 10 AppX Application Details

1 post in this topic

I'm writing some build scripts for a Windows 10 build. One thing I want to do is optimise the build for a business desktop. And that means removing all the "toy" Windows Store apps that are reinstalled every time a new user is logged on. Zune Music - I'm looking at you. AppX packages are staged or provisioned in the Windows 10 image, and also installed per user as required. The PowerShell CmdLets are named Get-AppXProvisionedPackage and Get-AppXPackage respectively.

To get a list of packages installed for the current user we run:

Get-AppxPackage | Format-Wide -Property Name

Here is the list returned by Windows 10 Enterprise:

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.0
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.0
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.0
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.0
Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost
Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin
Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost
windows.immersivecontrolpanel
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana
Microsoft.AccountsControl
Microsoft.BioEnrollment
Microsoft.LockApp
Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge
Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp
Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager
Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls
Microsoft.WindowsFeedback
Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI
Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider
Windows.ContactSupport
Windows.MiracastView
Windows.PrintDialog
Windows.PurchaseDialog
microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps
Microsoft.BingFinance
Microsoft.BingWeather
Microsoft.BingNews
Microsoft.Getstarted
Microsoft.Windows.Photos
Microsoft.WindowsStore
Microsoft.XboxApp
Microsoft.WindowsCamera
Microsoft.ZuneMusic
windows.devicesflow
Microsoft.WindowsAlarms
Microsoft.SkypeApp
Microsoft.ZuneVideo
Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder
Microsoft.WindowsPhone
Microsoft.WindowsMaps
Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Microsoft.People
Microsoft.Office.OneNote
Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection
Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub
Microsoft.BingSports
Microsoft.Appconnector
Microsoft.3DBuilder

It's interesting that some of the old desktop applications have been replaced by Universal AppX packages. For example, Windows Calculator. 

The list above just includes the AppX package name, there are more properties available:

Get-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Name              : Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture      : X64
ResourceId        : 
Version           : 10.1507.15010.0
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1507.15010.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1507.15010.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsFramework       : False
PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
PublisherId       : 8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle          : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False
Dependencies      : {Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe}

Once you have package names you can use Remove-AppXPackage to uninstall for the user, and Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage to remove from the image, then you run SysPrep and the applications will not be installed for new users of that image.

Most of the package names are fairly self explanatory, but each package can contain multiple applications. It's not obvious that the "toy" Windows Mail application is included in the microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps package. Here is a PowerShell script that cycles through all the packages and shows the applications inside:

$packages = Get-AppxPackage

foreach ( $package in $packages )
{
    Write-host "Package: $($package.Name)"

$manifests = Get-AppxPackageManifest -Package $package
    foreach ($manifest in $manifests)
    {
        foreach($app in $manifest.Package.Applications.Application)
        {
            Write-Host "  Id: $($app.Id)"
            Write-Host "  Executable: $($app.Executable)"           
        }
    }

Write-Host
}

Example output for microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps:

Package: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

Id: microsoft.windowslive.mail
  Executable: HxMail.exe

Id: microsoft.windowslive.calendar
  Executable: HxCalendarAppImm.exe

The Id gives you a good idea of the individual applications, but I imagine there is a way to get the proper Start Menu display name. Need to do a little more digging though.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• hemichallenger
      By hemichallenger
      Not sure if this is possible or if someone has already tackled this. Is it possible to embed PowerShell into a GUI? Autoit is great for quick function but sometime I need to run a command thru PowerShell. It be great to have PowerShell console embedded into the gui.
    • BigDaddyO
      By BigDaddyO
      After much searching I finally found a method to get eMails from an Exchange eMail account inbox.  I was hoping for AutoIT or vbscript but I couldn't find any that would read the inbox messages without using Outlook.
      I needed this because I'm testing a web-form that generates an eMail sent to a shared mailbox "not what my current outlook is configured for".  so, I needed to connect to a different account, then get the inbox messages, and see if the auto-generated eMail message body contains what I submitted in the form.

I found a PowerShell script that was close and modified it to do just what I want, but I'd still like it to run in AutoIT but I'm not sure how to use the Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll
      Anybody have some ideas? 
      #To Launch! # C:\Windows\System32> powershell -ExecutionPolicy ByPass #This launches PowerShell and allows execution of .ps1 files # PS C:\Windows\System32> . "C:\Temp\eMail\getInbox.ps1" #The period . in front of the .ps1 file forces PS to display results on-screen # Where is the EWS .DLL file that you are using # Get the installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42022 # We only need 2 dll's from the install and they can be stored anywhere: "Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Auth.dll" & "Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll" $EWSdll = "C:\Temp\eMail\Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll" # Where do you want the output text file to be saved $Output = "C:\Temp\eMails.txt" # replace with your email address $email = "MyemailAddress@work.net" # only need to populate these if you're impersonating... $username = "myemail" $password = "Sup3rS3cre+" $domain = "ad.work.net" # load the assembly : point to the dll in the location you have the .dll file [void] [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile($EWSdll) # set ref to exchange, first references 2007, 2nd is 2010 (default) #$s = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeVersion]::Exchange2007_SP1) $s = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService # use first option if you want to impersonate, otherwise, grab your own credentials with the 3rd one. not sure what the 2nd one is for $s.Credentials = New-Object Net.NetworkCredential($username, $password, $domain) ##$s.Credentials = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials #$s.UseDefaultCredentials = $true # discover the url from your email address $s.AutodiscoverUrl($email) # get a handle to the inbox $inbox = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($s,[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.WellKnownFolderName]::Inbox) #create a property set (to let us access the body & other details not available from the FindItems call) $psPropertySet = new-object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.PropertySet([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.BasePropertySet]::FirstClassProperties) $psPropertySet.RequestedBodyType = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.BodyType]::Text; # If you have a set number of items you want to get, use this and insert the # in the () # $items = $inbox.FindItems(5) # If you want to retrieve all items (Server limit is usually at 1000) then use this line # Details on the max returned by server: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/exchangedev/2010/03/12/throttling-policies-and-the-ewsfindcountlimit/ $items = $inbox.FindItems($inbox.TotalCount) # Put some counts at the top of the output Write-host "Total Inbox count: $($inbox.TotalCount)" Write-host "Unread count: $($inbox.UnreadCount)" #These two lines, write the output to the specified text file Add-Content $Output "Total Inbox count: $($inbox.TotalCount)" Add-Content $Output "Unread count: $($inbox.UnreadCount)" foreach ($item in $items.Items) { # load the property set to allow us to get to the body $item.load($psPropertySet) # Get the Body text as-is $bod = $item.Body.Text #if you only want a short summary of the Body, then comment the above line and un-comment these 4 lines # $bod = $item.Body.Text -replace '\s+', ' ' # $bodCutOff = (100,$bod.Length | Measure-Object -Minimum).Minimum # $bod = $bod.Substring(0,$bodCutOff) # $bod = "$bod..." # output the results - first of all the From, Subject, References and Message ID write-host "====================================================================" Write-host "From: $($item.From.Name)" Write-host "Subject: $($item.Subject)" Write-host "Body: $($bod)" write-host "====================================================================" "" # Output the results to the specified Text file Add-Content $Output "" Add-Content $Output "====================================================================" Add-Content $Output "From: $($item.From.Name)" Add-Content $Output "Subject: $($item.Subject)" Add-Content $Output "Body:",$($bod) Add-Content $Output "====================================================================" Add-Content $Output "" } #see these URLs for more info # EWS Stuff # folder members: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.folder_members%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx # exporting headers: https://www.allabout365.com/2010/10/export-email-headers-exchange-powershell/ # read emails with EWS: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3fbf8348-2945-43aa-a0bc-f3b1d34da27c/read-emails-with-ews?forum=exchangesvrdevelopment  
      Thanks,
      Mike
    • BBs19
      By BBs19
      Features:
      Create modern looking borderless and resizable GUIs with control buttons (Close,Maximize/Restore,Minimize, Fullscreen, Menu) True borderless, resizeable GUI with full support for aerosnap etc. Many color schemes/themes included. See MetroThemes.au3 for more details. 3 type of Windows 8/10 style buttons. Modern checkboxes, radios, toggles and progressbar. All buttons, checkboxes etc. have hover effects! Windows 10 style modern MsgBox. Windows 10/Android style menu that slides in from left. Windows 10 style right click menu  
      Credits: @UEZ, for the function to create buttons with text using GDIPlus. @binhnx for his SSCtrlHover UDF

Changelog:
      Download UDF with example:

• keelaji
      By keelaji
      Hello,
      first of all i searched in the forum but i didn't found any solution to my problem.
      I am using windows 10.
      I made a script that is supposed to change the title to the active window, resize it to the smallest size possible (should be around 800 x 600) and move to (0, 0).
      I can change the title but i fail to do the other 2 tasks.
      i use wingettitle [active] copied from the F1 help tool (and this works), i i put the title in a variable and than i use
      winsettitle ($variable, "one") (this works too)
      winmove ("one", 0, 0, 800, 600) (doesn't do anything)
      i also tried
      local $x = winget ( "one")
      msgbox (0, "", $x) (i get a completely white box so i suppose winget can't have any data about my window ??)
      any suggestion ?
    • Jibberish
      By Jibberish
      Hi all,
      I need to read a log file into an array, but the log file is encoded as $FO_UTF16_BE_NOBOM (2048) = Use Unicode UTF16 Big Endian (without BOM) per FileGetEncoding (it returns 2048).
      I have searched how to convert these log files to UTF-8 and finally found a Powershell command. Since then I have been racking my brain trying to get the function to work. The command itself works from a Powerscript prompt:
      C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Get-Content C:\Logs\Myplayer_10-10-17-02-31.log | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 C:\Logs\Myplayer1.log This is my sandbox;
      #include <array.au3> #include <File.au3> Local $aArrayLogFile Local $sLogDir = "C:\Logs\" Local $sLogFile = "Myplayer_10-10-17-02-31.log" Local $sConvertedLog = "ConvertedLog.log" Local $sLogDirFile = $sLogDir&$sLogFile RunWait("C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Get-Content "&$sLogDirFile&" | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 "&$sConvertedLog,$sLogDir) _FileReadToArray($sLogDirFile, $aArrayLogFile) _ArrayDisplay($aArrayLogFile) Also tried
      RunWait("C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Get-Content "&$sLogDirFile&" | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 "&$sConvertedLog,$sLogDir) and
      ShellExecuteWait("C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe"," -Command Get-Content "&$sLogDirFile&" | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 "&$sConvertedLog,$sLogDir) Tried without -Command and a bunch of other parameters that were sprinkled throughout the internet from people trying to get this to work.
      Thanks
      Jibs