How to Get Windows 10 AppX Application Details

• Administrators

I'm writing some build scripts for a Windows 10 build. One thing I want to do is optimise the build for a business desktop. And that means removing all the "toy" Windows Store apps that are reinstalled every time a new user is logged on. Zune Music - I'm looking at you. AppX packages are staged or provisioned in the Windows 10 image, and also installed per user as required. The PowerShell CmdLets are named Get-AppXProvisionedPackage and Get-AppXPackage respectively.

To get a list of packages installed for the current user we run:

Get-AppxPackage | Format-Wide -Property Name

Here is the list returned by Windows 10 Enterprise:

Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00
Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.0
Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.0
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.0
Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.0
Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost
Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin
Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost
windows.immersivecontrolpanel
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana
Microsoft.AccountsControl
Microsoft.BioEnrollment
Microsoft.LockApp
Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge
Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp
Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager
Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls
Microsoft.WindowsFeedback
Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI
Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider
Windows.ContactSupport
Windows.MiracastView
Windows.PrintDialog
Windows.PurchaseDialog
microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps
Microsoft.BingFinance
Microsoft.BingWeather
Microsoft.BingNews
Microsoft.Getstarted
Microsoft.Windows.Photos
Microsoft.WindowsStore
Microsoft.XboxApp
Microsoft.WindowsCamera
Microsoft.ZuneMusic
windows.devicesflow
Microsoft.WindowsAlarms
Microsoft.SkypeApp
Microsoft.ZuneVideo
Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder
Microsoft.WindowsPhone
Microsoft.WindowsMaps
Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Microsoft.People
Microsoft.Office.OneNote
Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection
Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub
Microsoft.BingSports
Microsoft.Appconnector
Microsoft.3DBuilder

It's interesting that some of the old desktop applications have been replaced by Universal AppX packages. For example, Windows Calculator. 

The list above just includes the AppX package name, there are more properties available:

Get-AppXPackage Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Name              : Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Publisher         : CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US
Architecture      : X64
ResourceId        : 
Version           : 10.1507.15010.0
PackageFullName   : Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1507.15010.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
InstallLocation   : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1507.15010.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsFramework       : False
PackageFamilyName : Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
PublisherId       : 8wekyb3d8bbwe
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle          : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False
Dependencies      : {Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe}

Once you have package names you can use Remove-AppXPackage to uninstall for the user, and Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage to remove from the image, then you run SysPrep and the applications will not be installed for new users of that image.

Most of the package names are fairly self explanatory, but each package can contain multiple applications. It's not obvious that the "toy" Windows Mail application is included in the microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps package. Here is a PowerShell script that cycles through all the packages and shows the applications inside:

$packages = Get-AppxPackage

foreach ( $package in $packages )
{
    Write-host "Package: $($package.Name)"

$manifests = Get-AppxPackageManifest -Package $package
    foreach ($manifest in $manifests)
    {
        foreach($app in $manifest.Package.Applications.Application)
        {
            Write-Host "  Id: $($app.Id)"
            Write-Host "  Executable: $($app.Executable)"           
        }
    }

Write-Host
}

Example output for microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps:

Package: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

Id: microsoft.windowslive.mail
  Executable: HxMail.exe

Id: microsoft.windowslive.calendar
  Executable: HxCalendarAppImm.exe

The Id gives you a good idea of the individual applications, but I imagine there is a way to get the proper Start Menu display name. Need to do a little more digging though.

• Jon changed the title to How to Get Windows 10 AppX Application Details

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By WilliamasKumeliukas
      Hello everyone,
      I started this project alone in May 2020 as project in my spare time at work, I'm working for a IT company that started opening their services to residential customers few months ago and now my position in the company kind of drifted in the doom and gloom world of repetitive tasks like: Reinstallation + Configuration of Windows 10.
      The procedure is very repetitive and I started feeling like being a robot which is the main reason I started this project.

==============================FAQ==================================
      1. Q: Do you want this project to be accomplished with the usage of AutoIt ONLY or 3rd party tools / Scripts (BATCH / POWERSHELL / VB) ? A: No, if I cannot find a way using AutoIt to accomplish a task I will move to my Plan B which consist of automating an 3rd party tool to accomplish the affected task until a solution is found. 2. Q: What do I get from helping/collaborating in this project? A: I will personally take the responsibility to mention you in the credits of this project. 3. Q: If I have more questions, can I ask? A: Certainly! feel free to ask any questions related to this project! 4. Q: What is the main goal of this project? A: Automating Windows 10 configuration without user interaction needed (as much as possible) ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Current progression of the project (more will be added in future)
      « Blue = Info || Yellow = Unfinished/Untested || Purple = Could be better || Green = Done ||Red = Not Yet Started »
      ***Very early Stage ***
      Connect Network Attached Storage(NAS) (Work but missing configuration in GUI - AutoIt only)
      Download & Install up to 600+ softwares (Tested & Working - using 3rd party tool + 50/50 Powershell/AutoIt)
       Auto prediction of Apps name of text typed inside input (Tested & Working - AutoIt Only)
      Change OEM Informations (Tested & Working -  AutoIt)
      Disable hibernation (Tested & Working - AutoIt only)
      Change Computer Name (Work but require testing - AutoIt only) 
      Show Computer Information and Smart status on GUI (Tested & Working - AutoIt Only)
      Change .pdf / .pdfxml from Edge to Adobe Reader DC (Tested & Working - using 3rd party tool)
      Change Edge to Google Chrome as Default Browser (Tested & Working - using 3rd party tool)
      Windows Updater (Seems to work but require further testing - AutoIt only)
      Install Office 365 / 2013 + Activation (To Do)
      Add L2TP VPN Configuration for Windows Built-in VPN (To Do)
      Save / Load tasks configuration profile in (.ini file) to avoid repeating same configuration twice (In progress - AutoIt Only)
      (EXPERIMENTAL) Install Apps from Microsoft Store with UIAutomation UDF made by @junkew(Work if you know what your doing)
         P.S: Installing Apps from Microsoft Store will require usage of  UIA spy tool made by @LarsJ which you can download & learn how to use it on UIA Spy Tool thread.
      ***  If this project interest you, Reply here This will greatly help me to see if you'd like this project to become real  ***
      ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Best Regards,
      ~WilliamasKumeliukas
    • By beautifulsoup
      Hi All,
      I'm not sure if its possible that I'm trying to achieve, I've looked into https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/AutoIt3Wrapper.html and such resources for help, but I cant really find the answer to my question.
      So upon compiling the script in SciTE, the exe file is given a Description under file Properties>Details. I understand, that  one can enter info manually there and it can even implement the version automatically with each compilation.

What I'm trying to achieve is to somehow include the "@ScriptName" in the Details>File Description Field. But as I see no variable can be taken after "#" in this case.

Do You think its achievable? (Win 10)

Much obliged for taking time on reading this.

Kind Regards,
      Brave

• By DannyJ
      $sCommands1 = 'powershell.exe Get-ChildItem' $iPid = run($sCommands1   , @WorkingDir , @SW_SHOW , 0x2) $sOutput = ""  While 1     $sOutput &= StdoutRead($iPID)         If @error Then             ExitLoop         EndIf  WEnd ;~ msgbox(0, '' , $sOutput) ConsoleWrite("$sOutput") ConsoleWrite($sOutput) ConsoleWrite(@CRLF) $aOutput = stringsplit($sOutput ,@LF , 2) For $i=0 To  UBound($aOutput) - 1 Step 1     ConsoleWrite($aOutput[$i]) Next The script above reads the whole directory into a one dimensional array, but I need to work with the array, so I need to split the array into multiple dimensions.
      I have already read some forum answers here, and I have already tried these commands:

Are there any way to use the $aOutput variable like in PowerShell:
      PowerShell:
      $a = Get-ChildItem $a.Mode I imagine this in AutoIt  $aOutput
      ConsoleWrite($aOutput[i].Mode) Or if I split this command into 2 dimension like:
      For $i To UBound($aOutput)-1 Step 1 ConsoleWrite($aOutput[$i][1]) ConsoleWrite($aOutput[$i][2]) Next  
    • By DannyJ
      If I try to run this script with   Get-ChildItem which means dir this script works perfectly, but If I try to run this command Get-RDUserSession, my script has the following error message:
      This command runs perfectly in PowerShell admin and I get back the values
      Get-RDUserSession -ConnectionBroker  broker.local | sort Username Or you can try this command as well
      Get-Command Get-RDUserSession If I run the above mentioned command this runs perfectly in PowerShell but not with AutoIt.
      Here is my script you can test the commands:
      #include<array.au3> $iPid = run('powershell Get-Command Get-RDUserSession'  , @WindowsDir , @SW_HIDE , 0x2) ;; This command not works in AutoIT you can test it in PowerShell but it won't work in Autoit ;$iPid = run('powershell Get-RDUserSession -ConnectionBroker  broker.local | sort Username'  , @WindowsDir , @SW_MAXIMIZE , 0x2) ; This command not works in AutoIT ;$iPid = run('powershell Get-ChildItem | sort Name'  , @WindowsDir , @SW_HIDE , 0x2) ; This runs perfectly $sOutput = ""  While 1     $sOutput &= StdoutRead($iPID)         If @error Then             ExitLoop         EndIf  WEnd ;~ msgbox(0, '' , $sOutput) $aOutput = stringsplit($sOutput , @LF , 2) _ArrayDisplay($aOutput)  
      That could be the solution of the problem if I could run, directly this PowerShell command window and Write to it and save it's values.
    • By IndianSage
      Hi,
      I have a specific situation:
      Is it possible to run autoit script/.exe as a task which in turn is automating a desktop user interactive application on windows 10 where user will not be logged in - at best I can get user locked? 
      If so how will this work or is there any tool available to do this?
      I am trying z-cron task scheduler but it runs only some part also I tried windows 10 task schedule with option to allow task to run which is user interactive type but that too does not work.
      Looking forward to hear from you to help me out of this situation.
      Thanks,