Alda: Music programming language

jvanegmond

Interesting. A lot of things are the same as mus++, such as using a single break to add a second instrument. I didn't notice catering for tuplets in the description, but maybe that's in there somewhere. Also musical performance instructions seem to be missing. I would say the language design is not too bad from what I have seen so far. It's still under development though. One thing I don't like is the use of percentages (note duration) to indicate staccato: that's so meaningless to a performer.

Although admittedly I am biased, I do prefer mine. The > symbol is an accent in mus++, and Helmholtz notation is already internationally recognized as an indicator of octave range. Accents are currently missing from mus++ because parsing accents still needs work, as does acceleration. I have also been considering adding chords which should be easy enough. The downside of using > and < to go up or down to the next octave is that you never know which octave you are actually in (since it is relative). I abandoned that idea for this particular reason.

Edited by czardas

It's surprising how close your two implementations are.

In some ways it's not so surprising because we both base our syntax on an existing universal model - music notation.

You should reach out to the author. I think he will like seeing your stuff.

Yeah, I will do shortly. If you want to mention it straight away, by all means be my guest. :)

Edited by czardas