Stopping Windows 10 from auto-closing programs to free up ram

kaotkbliss

I use a program that really eats up a ton of ram (cgi type stuff), I can easily use 10+ GB of my 16 on this program alone.

Now on Windows 7 when the system started running low, it would let me know that I should close programs to free up ram and had a button to automatically do so. However, if you clicked cancel or just simply closed the window via the red X, then you could manually close what programs you wanted, or not close any and wait for some ram to free up.

However, with windows 10 it decides to start closing programs before you even give a response and usually the first to go is my cgi program which has caused me to lose a ton of work. This behavior also messes up my openGL on my video card when it forces my cgi program to close and I can't use the program again (or basically use my video card for anything) until I reboot my PC.

So basically I need a way to stop windows from auto closing programs, or worst-case, just disable the low ram warning altogether.

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

• Administrators

Not tested but try:

• Run gpedit.msc
  • Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Troubleshooting and Diagnostics -> Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution.
  • Configure it to just detect
Edited by Jon

Wow, that looks buried LOL

Looks like it's exactly what I need though :) thank you

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just a heads up on stopping Windows 10 auto closing programs to free up memory.

The below does work, however it only works for Windows 10 Pro. Windows Home Edition does not have gpedit.msc (Edit Group Policy).

I had Windows 10 Home Edition and tried installing gpedit.msc via posts that I found on the web. This did not work for me and I read other posts whereby it did not work for others.

I read a post saying that if you have Windows 10 Home Edition and a product key for any versions of Windows Pro, you can change to Windows 10 Pro. Again that did not work for me.

I had to go but the drawing board and install Windows 7 Pro and use the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Troubleshooting and Diagnostics -> Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution.

Configure it to just detect and troubleshoot only

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

First of all, for those (like me) that can't find the GPEDIT.MSC in your Windows 10, follow the instructions below to install it. 

Now that I have the GPedit.msn installed in my system, THERE ISN'T THE Troubleshooting and Diagnostics -> Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution INSIDE THE FOLDER Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System

Windows sucks!

Get GPEDIT here for windows 10   GPEdit.msc

Once downloaded Install as admin

Go to  C:\Windows\SysWOW64

copy the following:

Folders: GroupPolicy

GroupPolicyUsers

and

gpedit.msc 

Paste them in the following locations:

C:\Windows\System

C:\Windows\System32

Now hit WINDOWKEY + R

Type: gpedit.msc

• 2 years later...

Excuse me gang, but sadly, I cannot do anything other than open gpedit.msc on the Local Group Policy Editor. The only thing I can do is open it, however, I can't do anything else other than stare at a blank screen with no files, no folders, and no locations, except for a small message with a red error sign that reads: "MMC could not create the snap-in".
Please can somebody resolve this issue, the game I play on my Windows 10 Laptop sometimes loads for a several seconds, and then a Windows dialog box pops up saying that the application is unresponsive and giving me a choice to close it or not, then the dialog box goes away a split second after popping up and auto-closing the application without my consent. It's super extra irritating and I'm super extra frustrated, I need this issue resolved as soon as possible, Thanks!

Sterbend.PNG