Need to port preferences to new PC

qwert

I have a new PC.  I downloaded the ZIP version of both AU3 v3.3.14 and SciTE.  Everything installed and runs properly ... with the default settings, of course.

Now I want to move my settings and preferences from my other PC (which, BTW is 3.3.12).  I can match up the handful of "properties" files and move over my previous versions.  But there is one big difference in my two installations: the file set on the /User directory seems to be incomplete (see attached from 3.3.12). which seems to be where the user's SciTE settings are held.  So, I have these questions:

• What action or operation should create the directories on /User?
  • Can I just move the \AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\SciTEUser.properties file?
  • Should I move the entire \Local\AutoIt v3 directory so the two PCs are the same?
  • Are there installation instructions that address upgrades and transfers of these "environmentals"?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

AppData.thumb.PNG.396ff95b6728b31b3d21cd

Things I've read, so far:

There are four properties files used:

• Local properties file called "SciTE.properties" which may be present in the same directory as the file being edited.
  • Directory properties file called "SciTEDirectory.properties" which may be present in the same or in a parent directory as the file being edited.
  • User properties file called "SciTEUser.properties" on Windows and ".SciTEUser.properties" on GTK+
  • Global properties file called "SciTEGlobal.properties"

Settings in the local properties file override those in the directory properties file which overrides those in the user properties file which override those in the global properties files. Environment variables are also available as properties and these are overridden by an explicit setting in one of the properties files.

And:

On Windows, the global properties file is located in the directory of the executable. The user properties file is looked for in the user profile directory as set in the USERPROFILE environment variable, or in the directory of the executable if USERPROFILE is not set.

Source: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDoc.html

But I still haven't succeeded in moving my preferences.   I have files in the same places, but SciTE is either not locating them or somehow overriding them.

I realize this is an SciTE issue, but I think my 4th question is valid, given the this Au3's emphasis on its use:

Are there installation instructions that address upgrades and transfers of these "environmentals"?

Do instructions exist?

• Developers

Since you use the sip file, the sciteUser.properties is likely still in the default place the standard SciTE likes to see it: %LocalAppData%, but that is something you can check on the old computer. All possible changed settings for the utilities like tidy/au3stripper are in the program directory by default for the zip version.

The other path you state is missing is only used by the installer version, which also sets "SCITE_USERHOME" to "%LocalAppData%\ AutoIt v3\SciTE\ " and uses that as the base for all its user configs. This is described in the helpfile.

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

For the benefit of others:

I was able to find references in the SciTE help file.  I searched for SCITE_USERHOME and found "File Locations".

I was not aware there were differences in the filepaths for the installed and the zip-file versions.  (Unfortunately, the help file seems to have at least one error.)  So, although the file locations are documented, technically, it would seem to be a worthwhile addition to have a "Porting Your Preferences" section ... somewhere ... which would need to cover the four different situations (A>A, B>B, A>B, B>A).

@Jos: thanks for you help.  From the guidance you've given, I'll be able to figure out the details.

569eae0c7f263_HelpSearch.thumb.PNG.b63e0