BearShare helper app

dhack

EDIT:

Ok.. yeah.. i wouldn't even recommend using BearShare at all.. I knew it used the Save! addition.. (which, nobody wants) unless you go Pro version. .. I used MS-AntiSpyware to remove Save! but then BS would casually cause a BSOD... so,. no BS.

d

Hello all..

a little app that runs bearshare, disables file sharing, set's media.fastclick.net to a local host in the HOSTS file... and automates the running of bearshare..

right click the tray icon to get to directories, exit the helper, or exit bearshare..

left click to hide/unhide bearshare

it's a tad sloppy now, but it works, and bearshare is more manageable.. (no more wierd questions to answer at exit) B)

enjoy,

Damon

Edited by dhack

EDIT:

Ok.. yeah.. i wouldn't even recommend using BearShare at all.. I knew it used the Save! addition.. (which, nobody wants) unless you go Pro version. .. I used MS-AntiSpyware to remove Save! but then BS would casually cause a BSOD... so,. no BS.

d

Hello all..

a little app that runs bearshare, disables file sharing, set's media.fastclick.net to a local host in the HOSTS file... and automates the running of bearshare..

right click the tray icon to get to directories, exit the helper, or exit bearshare..

left click to hide/unhide bearshare

it's a tad sloppy now, but it works, and bearshare is more manageable.. (no more wierd questions to answer at exit) B)

enjoy,

Damon

You omitted attaching the code...

The guys at www.technutopia.com seem to have taken over BearShare support and you will find using the BearShare lite version that has no bundled "addon-ware" may be the ideal solution. They have the pointer to the latest version to download on their web site. Your BSOD problem may be solved there also.

You should put the fastclick blocking entry in your HOSTS file anyway, BearShare or not.

The beta version of Microsoft anti-spyware identifies all versions of BearShare as spyware, even the Lite version, and wrecks the registry entries for BearShare. Not nice! What do you expect from Microsoft? The two can be made to co-exist but you have to be very careful.

Unlike AutoIT, the Microsoft anti-virus beta is not that stable, giving false positives sometimes, and not recognising some infections. Why be the guinea pig?