Why doesn't autoit have imagesearch built in but autohotkey does?

I've been using autoit for a week. Learned the basics of using it. Then I find that the only image search autoit has was a post by some guy

I check autohotkey and theres a page on how to search for images right on there main help page, yet autoit doesn't have that. Closest they got is a pixel search.

I'd really like to stay with autoit, so i'm asking if i'm missing autoit's official image search somewhere? The post above is outdated and many complain how complicated it is. I even gave it a shot, and could get it to work, but only tried a short while.

• Moderators

DocBrown,

Why doesn't autoit have imagesearch built in but autohotkey does?

Different development strategies, perhaps?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Autoit and AHK have different strengths and features.  In some utilities I find it very useful to combine them.  For example AHK can make working with mouse hotkeys easy.  OTOH it has no means of compiling a true console application.  Autoit compiles for console just by setting an option.  Using both together can speed up utility creation by taking advantage of the strengths of each.

For some reason Windows users get paranoid if a program consists of more than one exe file running no mater how small and efficient they are.  I guess it's a holdover from Dos days or something.

As a member of both forums, I will offer my opinion on this:

AHK is mainly geared toward gaming. In most business IT groups they see this and AHK is dismissed as a inferior product. Right on their forum you see how gaming is promoted even by staff members. Many games do not have actual controls to click on (that follow some sort of standard) so image searching is extremely common in solving an automation issue. Thus the big push on their site showing how to solve image searching - which is really to solve game automation issues.

AutoIt is geared toward being a language that can be used for businesses and hobbyist alike.  It also is managed in a manner that discourages game automation. Most applications can be automated without resorting to image searching. Thus no big push for image searching. If anything when we see image search many will ask what is being automated so a more stable method can be used. If anything - using image search to automate is the worst way to go for it is inherently unstable. I've been here for 10 years and I can only count on one hand the number of times when image search or pixel search was the only solution to a problem. Usually when it is seen here - it is a good bet it is usually for a game one is trying to automate. Not always, but the odds are very likely. Now saying that, we do try to not assume it is right off the bat. It may be ignorance on the coder, it may be a legit need. We will ask anyway for we want to educate and show easier ways to do things in the AutoIt language.

Edited by Bert

There are many image search examples around in the forum. Findbmp i made long ago and there are FASM examples to do it real quick.

edit: FAQ 38 created https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/FAQ#How_can_I_search_an_image_in_another_image.3F

Edited by junkew