DagSa

Print a file (binary) to local printer que

6 posts in this topic

I have a project to print a prn printfile to a barcode printer. File is both binary (fonts and pictures) and text mixed in a format understandable for the printer. I need some advice about the methode to deal and use windows printer spooler. The printers could be connected in network or localy by USB, so easiest is to make that connection by windows.
I have not found any easy way to print in the site, just how to setup a new printer or change parameters. I thought printing was the easy part.
My program should be used by windows vista, 7, 8 and 10 and sometime in POS environment.

Right now I print by FTP to CAB printers, but its not always accepted in some networks or by firewalls. I need to change it, and also be open to use other printers.

The option I have seen is windows LPR command, but I dont know if its usable in all windows versions or if it behave different. I tested it from cmd.exe, but have not succeded for the printers I normaly use.
Copy to LPT or COM is also an alternative. DIsadvantage is I need to change in driver to connect LPT/COM to the printer and not userfriendly to install.

I want a solid solution, not complicated for the user and easy to understand and maintain.
Just a procedure in Auto-IT like 'Print ("Printer name", "File")' to put it in the que, and leave the printer maintain to windows.

Any ideas or considirations?
Where to begin?

(soory for the speling, not my naitive language)

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

LPR should work fine. Just:

• install the UNIX printing service on the computer to which the printer is attached
  • Create a local printer to create the queue with an easy name: printer1
  • Use the LPR command to print to itfrom the remote computer: LPR IPADDRESS printer1

Jos

Edited by Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Support for LPR and LPD is swiched on now (use win 7 -64).
Do I need to make a new local printer? The normal I use isnt enought?
I will try this later in evening.

/Dag

Just now, DagSa said:

Do I need to make a new local printer? The normal I use isnt enought?

Not sure what you are saying here ,but you need a local printer definition for the attached barcode printer to be able to print to it via LPD.

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

On 2016-11-18 at 5:39 PM, Jos said:

Use the LPR command to print to itfrom the remote computer: LPR IPADDRESS printer1

This give me one more hint.
Printer I tested is on same computer and connected to USB. But you still need to share it to network! Even if its used localy.

I also needed to change port to the USB after install.
Still a litle bit confused, but it work smoth!
/Dag

OK, I found something interesting. For me, better than using LPR

A small exe file to print a file directly to the print spooler without setting up any special.
Command:  spooler.exe  filename.bin  "Printer name"  <cr>

http://www.compuphase.com/software_spool.htm

/Dag

spool12.zip

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JanZoudlik
      Print table from script using internet browser
      By JanZoudlik
      Hello everyone,
      here is my little contribution to AutoIt community.
      I was looking for a way to print tables from my scripts. None of the solutions was exactly working for me as there were always some limitations.
      If you need to be able to print table, while making sure that header is printed on each page (if large table), rows won't split up(across several pages) and you want to be able to adjust table size on page or each column size, you in the right place. Also you can choose between landscape and portrait mode
      It uses a browser to print table out. Simply, it generates a html file which is then open within browser and it initialize print. This version is tested with Chrome browser...
      Please be aware that there is a bug. When you try to disable row numbers, it will also remove table borders(lines). If anybody can figure out why, it would be appreciated by me and I am sure by others as well.
      Enjoy
      Jan
      UPDATE: found today that geniuses from Google stopped following standards and it no longer prints correctly with Chrome. It also ignores the portrait/landscape settings.
      However, I tested it with latest IE on Win 7 and it works fine!!! so I suggest you use IE to print...
      In case you don't have IE as main browser and you do have issues with your current browser then replace shellexecute and winwaitactive at the end of function with:
      local $hIE=run('"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "' & $sFile & '"') ProcessWait($hIE) ; AutoIt Version: 3.3.10 ; Language: English ; Platform: Win ; Author: Jan Zoudlik ; NOTE: big thanks to DoctorDestructo from http://stackoverflow.com/ for main script with css styling etc ; and guinness, tproli, Lupo73 from https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/ for inspiration with their listview to html function ; Script Function: ; table print - example + _table_print function #include <File.au3> Local $aTestArray[4][4] = [[20, 50, 20, 7], ["head", "heading<br/>accross two lines", "heading", "X"],["data row 1",5,"data",6],["data row 2",5&"<br/>"&6,"data",6]] _table_print("test title",100,$aTestArray,True) Func _table_print($Title,$Table_Size,ByRef $2D_array, $Landscape=True, $Row_Numbers=True) ;table that will print as table should (tested with chrome and ie browsers)> header on each page, table cell won't be printed across two pages > so even multi line row will always stay on one page or will be as whole pushed to next page ;to break the line within the cell or heading use "<br/>" not @LF or @CRLF as it is html... if word within cell is wider then column width it will adjust columnm width so word will fit, it will auto(line)break sentance if wider than column ;the allingment withing table is : vertical middle - horizontal left(header is vertical down - horizontal middle) and row numbers are vertical middle - horizontal right... sufficient for me... ;file name automatically generated and saved in temp folder ;Title - self explaining - displayed on the top of the table on first page only ;Table_Size - in percent - how big table(width) should be compare to the paper size so 100 - table will spread accross whole paper printable area, 50 - table size will be approx half of the paper size ;2D_array - row 0, number in percent per each column (width of column) - all together it should add up 100%(97% if row_numbers are used as 3% is used as size for row count column) ;2D_array - row 1, column header - will repeat on each page ;2D_array - row 2-n, data ;$Row_Numbers - first column will contain row number(so there will be one extra column in table) ;$Landscape - to print in landscape or portrait mode... ;paper size is as per printer settings ;font size is set to 10; if adjustment needed for blind people, then search for font-size: 10px; and don't forget to also adjust line-height: 13px accordingly(so it is bigger than font) ;_table_print function CREATED BY Jan Zoudlik ;big thanks to DoctorDestructo from http://stackoverflow.com/ for main script with css styling etc and guinness, tproli, Lupo73 from https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/ for inspiration with their listview to html function $sHTMLTable='<!DOCTYPE html>' & @CRLF & _ '<html>' & @CRLF & _ ' <body>' & @CRLF & _ ' <table ' if $Row_Numbers then $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & 'class="print t1" ' $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & 'width="' & $Table_Size & '%"> <!-- Delete "t1" class to remove row numbers. -->' & @CRLF & _ ' <caption>' & $Title & '</caption>' & @CRLF if $Row_Numbers then $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <col width="3%">' & @CRLF for $column=0 to ubound($2D_array,2)-1 $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <col width="' & $2D_array[0][$column] & '%">' & @CRLF Next $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <thead>' & @CRLF & _ ' <tr>' & @CRLF if $Row_Numbers then $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <th>#</th>' & @CRLF for $column=0 to ubound($2D_array,2)-1 $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <th>' & $2D_array[1][$column] & '</th>' & @CRLF Next $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' </tr>' & @CRLF & _ ' </thead>' & @CRLF & _ ' <tbody>' & @CRLF for $row=2 to ubound($2D_array)-1 $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <tr>' & @CRLF if $Row_Numbers then $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <td></td>' & @CRLF for $column=0 to ubound($2D_array,2)-1 $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' <td>' & $2D_array[$row][$column] & '</td>' & @CRLF Next $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' </tr>' & @CRLF Next $sHTMLTable=$sHTMLTable & ' </tbody>' & @CRLF & _ ' </table>' & @CRLF & _ ' </body>' & @CRLF & _ '</html>' & @CRLF $sCSSstyle='<style>' & @CRLF & _ ' /* THE FOLLOWING CSS IS REQUIRED AND SHOULD NOT BE MODIFIED. */' & @CRLF & _ ' div.fauxRow {' & @CRLF & _ ' display: inline-block;' & @CRLF & _ ' vertical-align: top;' & @CRLF & _ ' width: 100%;' & @CRLF & _ ' page-break-inside: avoid;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' table.fauxRow {border-spacing: 0;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.fauxRow > tbody > tr > td {' & @CRLF & _ ' padding: 0;' & @CRLF & _ ' overflow: hidden;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' table.fauxRow > tbody > tr > td > table.print {' & @CRLF & _ ' display: inline-table;' & @CRLF & _ ' vertical-align: top;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' table.fauxRow > tbody > tr > td > table.print > caption {caption-side: top;}' & @CRLF & _ ' .noBreak {' & @CRLF & _ ' float: right;' & @CRLF & _ ' width: 100%;' & @CRLF & _ ' visibility: hidden;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' .noBreak:before, .noBreak:after {' & @CRLF & _ ' display: block;' & @CRLF & _ ' content: "";' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' .noBreak:after {margin-top: -594mm;}' & @CRLF & _ ' .noBreak > div {' & @CRLF & _ ' display: inline-block;' & @CRLF & _ ' vertical-align: top;' & @CRLF & _ ' width:100%;' & @CRLF & _ ' page-break-inside: avoid;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' /*table.print > thead {white-space: nowrap;}*/ /* Uncomment if line-wrapping causes problems. */' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > tbody > tr {page-break-inside: avoid;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > tbody > .metricsRow > td {border-top: none !important;}' & @CRLF & _ '' & @CRLF & _ ' /* THE FOLLOWING CSS IS REQUIRED, but the values may be adjusted. */' & @CRLF & _ ' /* NOTE: All size values that can affect an elements height should use the px unit! */' & @CRLF & _ ' table.fauxRow, table.print {' & @CRLF & _ ' font-size: 10px;' & @CRLF & _ ' line-height: 13px;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ '' & @CRLF & _ ' /* THE FOLLvOWING CSS IS OPTIONAL. */' & @CRLF if $Landscape then $sCSSstyle=$sCSSstyle & ' @page {size: landscape;} /* Delete to print in portrait mode*/' & @CRLF if $Row_Numbers then $sCSSstyle=$sCSSstyle & ' body {counter-reset: t1;} /* Delete to remove row numbers. */' & @CRLF & _ ' .noBreak .t1 > tbody > tr > :first-child:before {counter-increment: none;} /* Delete to remove row numbers. */' & @CRLF & _ ' .t1 > tbody > tr > :first-child:before { /* Delete to remove row numbers. */' & @CRLF & _ ' display: block;' & @CRLF & _ ' text-align: right;' & @CRLF & _ ' counter-increment: t1 1;' & @CRLF & _ ' content: counter(t1);' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF $sCSSstyle=$sCSSstyle & ' table.fauxRow, table.print {' & @CRLF & _ ' font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Georgia; /* Try to use fonts that dont get bigger when printed. */' & @CRLF & _ ' margin: 0 auto 0 auto; /* Delete if you dont want table to be centered. */' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print {border-spacing: 0;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > * > tr > * {' & @CRLF & _ ' border-right: 1px solid black;' & @CRLF & _ ' border-bottom: 1px solid black;' & @CRLF & _ ' padding: 0 3px 0 3px;' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > * > :first-child > * {border-top: 1px solid black;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > thead ~ * > :first-child > *, table.print > tbody ~ * > :first-child > * {border-top: none;} ' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > * > tr > :first-child {border-left: 1px solid black;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > thead {vertical-align: bottom;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > thead > .borderRow > th {border-bottom: none;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > tbody {vertical-align:middle;}' & @CRLF & _ ' table.print > caption {font-weight: bold;}' & @CRLF & _ '</style>' & @CRLF & _ '' & @CRLF & _ '<script>' & @CRLF & _ '' & @CRLF & _ ' (function() { // THIS FUNCTION IS REQUIRED.' & @CRLF & _ ' if(/Firefox|MSIE |Trident/i.test(navigator.userAgent))' & @CRLF & _ ' var formatForPrint = function(table) {' & @CRLF & _ ' var noBreak = document.createElement("div")' & @CRLF & _ ' , noBreakTable = noBreak.appendChild(document.createElement("div")).appendChild(table.cloneNode())' & @CRLF & _ ' , tableParent = table.parentNode' & @CRLF & _ ' , tableParts = table.children' & @CRLF & _ ' , partCount = tableParts.length' & @CRLF & _ ' , partNum = 0' & @CRLF & _ ' , cell = table.querySelector("tbody > tr > td");' & @CRLF & _ ' noBreak.className = "noBreak";' & @CRLF & _ ' for(; partNum < partCount; partNum++) {' & @CRLF & _ ' if(!/tbody/i.test(tableParts[partNum].tagName))' & @CRLF & _ ' noBreakTable.appendChild(tableParts[partNum].cloneNode(true));' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' if(cell) {' & @CRLF & _ ' noBreakTable.appendChild(cell.parentNode.parentNode.cloneNode()).appendChild(cell.parentNode.cloneNode(true));' & @CRLF & _ ' if(!table.tHead) {' & @CRLF & _ ' var borderRow = document.createElement("tr");' & @CRLF & _ ' borderRow.appendChild(document.createElement("th")).colSpan="1000";' & @CRLF & _ ' borderRow.className = "borderRow";' & @CRLF & _ ' table.insertBefore(document.createElement("thead"), table.tBodies[0]).appendChild(borderRow);' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' tableParent.insertBefore(document.createElement("div"), table).style.paddingTop = ".009px";' & @CRLF & _ ' tableParent.insertBefore(noBreak, table);' & @CRLF & _ ' };' & @CRLF & _ ' else' & @CRLF & _ ' var formatForPrint = function(table) {' & @CRLF & _ ' var tableParent = table.parentNode' & @CRLF & _ ' , cell = table.querySelector("tbody > tr > td");' & @CRLF & _ ' if(cell) {' & @CRLF & _ ' var topFauxRow = document.createElement("table")' & @CRLF & _ ' , fauxRowTable = topFauxRow.insertRow(0).insertCell(0).appendChild(table.cloneNode())' & @CRLF & _ ' , colgroup = fauxRowTable.appendChild(document.createElement("colgroup"))' & @CRLF & _ ' , headerHider = document.createElement("div")' & @CRLF & _ ' , metricsRow = document.createElement("tr")' & @CRLF & _ ' , cells = cell.parentNode.cells' & @CRLF & _ ' , cellNum = cells.length' & @CRLF & _ ' , colCount = 0' & @CRLF & _ ' , tbods = table.tBodies' & @CRLF & _ ' , tbodCount = tbods.length' & @CRLF & _ ' , tbodNum = 0' & @CRLF & _ ' , tbod = tbods[0];' & @CRLF & _ ' for(; cellNum--; colCount += cells[cellNum].colSpan);' & @CRLF & _ ' for(cellNum = colCount; cellNum--; metricsRow.appendChild(document.createElement("td")).style.padding = 0);' & @CRLF & _ ' cells = metricsRow.cells;' & @CRLF & _ ' tbod.insertBefore(metricsRow, tbod.firstChild);' & @CRLF & _ ' for(; ++cellNum < colCount; colgroup.appendChild(document.createElement("col")).style.width = cells[cellNum].offsetWidth + "px");' & @CRLF & _ ' var borderWidth = metricsRow.offsetHeight;' & @CRLF & _ ' metricsRow.className = "metricsRow";' & @CRLF & _ ' borderWidth -= metricsRow.offsetHeight;' & @CRLF & _ ' tbod.removeChild(metricsRow);' & @CRLF & _ ' tableParent.insertBefore(topFauxRow, table).className = "fauxRow";' & @CRLF & _ ' if(table.tHead)' & @CRLF & _ ' fauxRowTable.appendChild(table.tHead);' & @CRLF & _ ' var fauxRow = topFauxRow.cloneNode(true)' & @CRLF & _ ' , fauxRowCell = fauxRow.rows[0].cells[0];' & @CRLF & _ ' fauxRowCell.insertBefore(headerHider, fauxRowCell.firstChild).style.marginBottom = -fauxRowTable.offsetHeight - borderWidth + "px";' & @CRLF & _ ' if(table.caption)' & @CRLF & _ ' fauxRowTable.insertBefore(table.caption, fauxRowTable.firstChild);' & @CRLF & _ ' if(tbod.rows[0])' & @CRLF & _ ' fauxRowTable.appendChild(tbod.cloneNode()).appendChild(tbod.rows[0]);' & @CRLF & _ ' for(; tbodNum < tbodCount; tbodNum++) {' & @CRLF & _ ' tbod = tbods[tbodNum];' & @CRLF & _ ' rows = tbod.rows;' & @CRLF & _ ' for(; rows[0]; tableParent.insertBefore(fauxRow.cloneNode(true), table).rows[0].cells[0].children[1].appendChild(tbod.cloneNode()).appendChild(rows[0]));' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' tableParent.removeChild(table);' & @CRLF & _ ' }' & @CRLF & _ ' else' & @CRLF & _ ' tableParent.insertBefore(document.createElement("div"), table).appendChild(table).parentNode.className="fauxRow";' & @CRLF & _ ' };' & @CRLF & _ ' var tables = document.body.querySelectorAll("table.print")' & @CRLF & _ ' , tableNum = tables.length;' & @CRLF & _ ' for(; tableNum--; formatForPrint(tables[tableNum]));' & @CRLF & _ ' })();' & @CRLF & _ '</script>' $sFile=_TempFile ( @TempDir , "~", ".html" ) ;~ $sFile= @ScriptDir & "\Export.html" $hFile= FileOpen($sFile, 2 + 8) FileWrite($hFile,$sHTMLTable & $sCSSstyle) FileClose($hFile) If @error Then msgbox(0,"Print Error","Failed to close the file!") EndIf ShellExecute($sFile) WinWaitActive(StringTrimLeft($sFile,StringInStr($sFile,"\","",-1))) send("^p") EndFunc ;==>_table_print
    • ioripalm
      How to format and print out a lot of strings
      By ioripalm
      How a lot of string formatted output to a printer?
      E.g:
      1) The first line of Arial font and size 20 and Bold
      2) The second line to the fourth line of  Tahoma font and size 14
      3) Insert two blank lines every 5 row
      4) Every 64 rows to add a page break (chr(12) ) and add headers and footers
      5) Finally, the formatted string output to a printer(Dot matrix printer)
      How to do that?The printer supports ESC / P,  ESC / P2,  ESC / PK, ESC / PK2,  Epson Standard Code for Printer.
      Thank you very much!!!

• dzlee
      Create and print restaurant bill
      By dzlee
      hallo autoit community
      i ask how to create bill temple and insert data to it then print it
      thanks
    • corgano
      Brainstorming: Displaying and printing barcodes - what is the best way?
      By corgano
      I have seen many different threads about generating barcodes, displaying them, and printing them. However at this point I am completely torn with which method to use. I am making a software that lets the user scan items, enter in information and save it in a SQLite database. For my purposes, I want to be able to display the barcode with number underneath in a similar way to most other controls eg GuiCtrlCreateBarcode( barcodenumber, x, y, width, height ). I also want to be able to print the barcode and have it be readable by the same scanner - The most successful encoding I've found is code128. Here is what I have found so far:
      This thread has nice code that saves the output as images Printing is easy and scans properly Displaying the image on a pic control makes it easy to set it's x/y/width/height
      But.. The code does not let you directly specify the width / height, so displayed image on GUI is ALWAYS skewed. Getting output images the right size with that code is very difficult I cannot find any examples of drawing barcodes to an image that let you specify width / height This example  Several threads use Static controls Look very nice on GUI, easy to get explicit position and size
      But... I know of no way to turn a bunch of static controls into something printable I didn't find any examples that had numbers at the bottom of the barcode The third solution I found was using a barcode font Can look nice, depending on font Shouldn't be hard to print
      But.. Depends on additional font being installed Some fonts don't scan correctly How do you specify a width / height of an area you want the barcode to fill when using a font? I'm really at a loss as to how to move forward. Maybe there's an example I missed that is better suited to what I could find? PErhaps someone has experience writing barcode scanning / generating / printing software and can share the experiences. Can someone bounce a few ideas back and forth with me on the best way to proceed?

• MikahS
      Printing using Martin's UDF & DLL; _PrintSetPrinter()
      By MikahS
      I am just starting to use this UDF and I'm not sure if it's my sheer ignorance with this UDF or something that's missing, but I'm getting an error with _PrintSetPrinter(), which will not even bring up the dialog box to select the printer. Here's my code (tested):
      #include <printMGv2.au3> #include <GUIConstants.au3> Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) Local $hwnd, $hButton, $msg, $hp, $mmssgg $hwnd = GUICreate("Example") $hButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("click me to print", 20, 20) GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "Quit") GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_PRIMARYDOWN, "Print") GUISetState() $hp = _PrintDLLStart($mmssgg) ; open the print dll While 1 WEnd Func Print()     Local $selected     If $hp = 0 Then ; if we couldn't open the dll         MsgBox(0, "", "Error from dllstart = " & $mmssgg & @CRLF) ; tell us         Return ; get out     EndIf     $selected = _PrintSetPrinter($hp) ; set the printer     MsgBox(0, "", $selected)     _PrintDLLClose($hp) ; close the dll EndFunc   ;==>Print Func Quit()     Exit EndFunc   ;==>Quit