LoganCH

AutoIt Extension for Visual Studio Code

20 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I've recently taken over the development of an extension for Visual Studio Code, which I've found to have a great mix of features as a code editor. I've recently been able to get the extension to a point that it could launch scripts from the editor, open the help docs on a highlighted keyword, and launch the Info app. I'm still working on wrapping my head around the inner workings of VSCode to be able to implement advanced features like Intellisense but would appreciate any feedback (bugs, feature requests, new different snippets) in this thread or on the GitHub page where I'm maintaining the extension.

You check out the extension on the VSCode Marketplace here and view the code on GitHub here.

Edit:

Go to http://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/windows for information on installing Visual Studio Code.

See http://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/extension-gallery for information on installing extensions to VS Code.

 

 

Edited by LoganCH
Added information on getting Visual Studio Code and installing Extensions in general
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Thanks to describe how to setup your stuff as I am not familiar with VSCode extensions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jpm said:

Thanks to describe how to setup your stuff as I am not familiar with VSCode extensions?

Sure, this page describes installing Visual Studio Code itself (note, this is Microsoft's Sublime Text-like text editor, not the Visual Studio IDE). After you've installed VS Code, the information on http://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/extension-gallery should describe how to install extensions, to get the one I'm working on you'd search for "AutoIt".


Let me know if you need any other information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just pushed an update that adds an icon and the ability to generate a debug MsgBox for variables and macros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a great start man, I'll be watching the project. Keep it going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#7 ·  Posted

I just published an update that allows you to compile scripts from VS Code (as long as you have the AutoItWrapper folder under the SciTe folder in a default AutoIt configuration) and more snippets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#8 ·  Posted

So the SciTE must be installed to be usable at least the AutoItWrapper dir

right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#9 ·  Posted

3 hours ago, jpm said:

So the SciTE must be installed to be usable at least the AutoItWrapper dir

right ?

 
 

You only need the AutoItWrapper folder placed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE" directory, for now.

I wanted to just package the wrapper with the extension, but I wasn't sure if that was okay to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#10 ·  Posted

5 minutes ago, LoganCH said:

I wanted to just package the wrapper with the extension, but I wasn't sure if that was okay to do.

The AutoIt3Wrapper is part of the ful SciTE4AutoIt3 setup and also needs other directories in the SciTE dir like Tidy and au3stripper.
I prefer that there are no other installers installing stuff into the SciTE subdirectory as that will only confuse things and make mixing both setups collide.
There is nothing wrong to state in your tool that a prerequisite for it is to install SciTE4AutoI3 and have them happily live side by side. :) 

Jos

 


Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules
 
Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#11 ·  Posted

On 1/6/2017 at 2:25 AM, Jos said:

The AutoIt3Wrapper is part of the ful SciTE4AutoIt3 setup and also needs other directories in the SciTE dir like Tidy and au3stripper.
I prefer that there are no other installers installing stuff into the SciTE subdirectory as that will only confuse things and make mixing both setups collide.
There is nothing wrong to state in your tool that a prerequisite for it is to install SciTE4AutoI3 and have them happily live side by side. :) 

Jos

 

1

Oh, I definitely wouldn't have anything added to the subdirectory for AutoIt3, I was more thinking of placing self-contained copies of the AutoIt3Wrapper (plus Tidy and Stripper) folders within a subfolder of the extension for my code to refer to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#12 ·  Posted

Just published a new update (0.0.9), here are the changes:

  • Changed compile command to closer reflect SciTe4AutoIt3 version (Opens GUI)
  • Implemented build command, which works similar to previous compile command
  • Added console output for running, compiling and building scripts
  • Run, compile and build commands exit early if current file isn't AutoIt
  • Implemented the hover feature and the first few hovers
     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#13 ·  Posted

I've got another update (0.1.0)! Here's what's new:

  • Running, compiling, and building scripts now show STDOUT output live in the editor
  • Added the shortcut to generate ConsoleWrite debug lines with Alt+D
  • Hovers! All macros and basic AutoIt functions are in, as well as the Array Management UDFs. More to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#14 ·  Posted (edited)

On 1/9/2017 at 6:36 AM, LoganCH said:

Oh, I definitely wouldn't have anything added to the subdirectory for AutoIt3, I was more thinking of placing self-contained copies of the AutoIt3Wrapper (plus Tidy and Stripper) folders within a subfolder of the extension for my code to refer to.

Sorry for the late reply, but as stated, I am not in favor of this at all as you can't support the software i distribute. 
My preference is that you set a prerequisite to install AutoIt3 and SciTE4Autoit3 and you install your stuff in a logical place an point to the software in its original place.

This keeps the installation clean and supported. 

Jos

Edited by Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules
 
Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#15 ·  Posted

On 2/4/2017 at 11:52 AM, Jos said:

Sorry for the late reply, but as stated, I am not in favor of this at all as you can't support the software i distribute. 
My preference is that you set a prerequisite to install AutoIt3 and SciTE4Autoit3 and you install your stuff in a logical place an point to the software in its original place.

This keeps the installation clean and supported. 

Jos

Thanks for following up, I went the route requiring a full standard install of SciTE4AutoIt for all the features. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#16 ·  Posted

18 hours ago, LoganCH said:

Thanks for following up, I went the route requiring a full standard install of SciTE4AutoIt for all the features. 

No problem and thanks for making the changes as this is for everybody the smart thing to do. :) 

Jos


Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules
 
Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#17 ·  Posted

Just pushed out a new update! Here's the changelog:

  • You can now run a Syntax check and the Tidy tool
  • You can now launch AutoIt Help by simply placing the cursor on functions and macros (complete selection no longer required)
  • Even more hovers for UDFs
  • Bugfix for commands that run through AutoIt3Wrapper (e.g. Build should make executables correctly now)

Thanks for checking out the extension and any feedback is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#18 ·  Posted

Just pushed up version 0.1.2, or as I call it, the IntelliSense release!

  • Hovers have been added for all UDFs
  • Implementation of Completion Items has begun (Function, Macro, and Variable suggestions will now have different icons)
  • Symbol search added, press Ctrl+Shift+O to see where Functions and Variables have been declared in scripts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#19 ·  Posted

Released v0.1.3, and the paths to the AutoIt executables can now be customized in your user settings.

 

Marketplace Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#20 ·  Posted

Just made a big release (v0.1.5), where I've gotten more IntelliSense features working

  • Added in function signature helpers (parameter info)  See it in action
  • AutoIt commands and keybindings now only show/activate in AutoIt files
  • Debug MsgBoxes and Debug Consoles now match the indent of the line that they're generated from

Marketplace Link

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now