AutoIT demo

TB24

My name's Tré Barnes and I'm a Sr. Software Engineer for the San Francisco Chronicle. We're looking into a UI automation tool and are interested in AutoIT. I like the capabilities that it's reported to have. I'd like to know if it would be possible to set up a web demo for some of our managers to see it in action?

Thanks.

My name's Tré Barnes and I'm a Sr. Software Engineer for the San Francisco Chronicle. We're looking into a UI automation tool and are interested in AutoIT. I like the capabilities that it's reported to have. I'd like to know if it would be possible to set up a web demo for some of our managers to see it in action?

Thanks.

You may want to check out the scripts and scraps forum, there are scripts there to do all kinds of things, including some that may not be immediately thought of for the online demo you're asking for. Alot of us use autoit at work, for automating or fine tuning interfaces for other programs, etc. Also, i'd suggest mentioning some of the tasks you'd like to be able to do, or programs you'd like to automate; that way some users could post examples of how they interact with the programs, or complete the same tasks using this tool. Personally i've used AutoIT to:

- create front end interfaces for alot of systems that are normally command line driven

- completely eliminate the need for human interaction in alot of processes that are required in the data gathering and reporting roles of my job

- add functionality to existing software (AVAYA BCMS Vu Client is one example, I'm used to their much much much more expensive Centre Vu Supervisor, and i've used AutoIT to give me similar control over the data, reporting, and monitoring, just by grabbing all of the data that it displays, then saving it and retrieving, modifying, or displaying it as needed with Custom GUI's, so that i can get the same level of control that most companies pay the bigger prices for)

the list just keeps going. There is no way that a demonstration would be able to show off the full capabilities of the language, and in my opinion you won't find a UI automation tool that's easier to implement and learn than this one, nor will you find another (without even considering ease of implementation) with more functionality or better support. Read over the forums, and you'll see plenty of posts about people who've increased their productivity, saved themselves money (both on buying software, and time spent), and even made themselves more money with promotions they've secured based on solutions they developed using AutoIT.

You may want to check out the scripts and scraps forum, there are scripts there to do all kinds of things, including some that may not be immediately thought of for the online demo you're asking for. Alot of us use autoit at work, for automating or fine tuning interfaces for other programs, etc. Also, i'd suggest mentioning some of the tasks you'd like to be able to do, or programs you'd like to automate; that way some users could post examples of how they interact with the programs, or complete the same tasks using this tool. Personally i've used AutoIT to:

- create front end interfaces for alot of systems that are normally command line driven

- completely eliminate the need for human interaction in alot of processes that are required in the data gathering and reporting roles of my job

- add functionality to existing software (AVAYA BCMS Vu Client is one example, I'm used to their much much much more expensive Centre Vu Supervisor, and i've used AutoIT to give me similar control over the data, reporting, and monitoring, just by grabbing all of the data that it displays, then saving it and retrieving, modifying, or displaying it as needed with Custom GUI's, so that i can get the same level of control that most companies pay the bigger prices for)

the list just keeps going. There is no way that a demonstration would be able to show off the full capabilities of the language, and in my opinion you won't find a UI automation tool that's easier to implement and learn than this one, nor will you find another (without even considering ease of implementation) with more functionality or better support. Read over the forums, and you'll see plenty of posts about people who've increased their productivity, saved themselves money (both on buying software, and time spent), and even made themselves more money with promotions they've secured based on solutions they developed using AutoIT.

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing around with it some, and it's fairly intuitive. We're trying to automate some minor tasks that users are doing now, and I've gotten a handful of those working so I've got something to show the managers tomorrow. I'll definitely take a look at the scripts and scraps forum though. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing around with it some, and it's fairly intuitive. We're trying to automate some minor tasks that users are doing now, and I've gotten a handful of those working so I've got something to show the managers tomorrow. I'll definitely take a look at the scripts and scraps forum though. Thanks again.

No problem, glad to help.

Just another way to convince your management.

"if you do it with keyboard and mouse, AutoIT can do it for you"

Some rare case are difficult to script.

Good luck :P

There's a similar tool that has uses a GUI with icons you're able to drag and drop to create scripts, AutoMate. We're looking at that as well. Has anyone here used it? If so, how does it compare with AutoIT?

There's a similar tool that has uses a GUI with icons you're able to drag and drop to create scripts, AutoMate. We're looking at that as well. Has anyone here used it? If so, how does it compare with AutoIT?

I did reviewing of automation tool for my comapny as well and I reviewed automate.

Generally, I would say AutoMate is much more easier than autoit.

It's like using autoit without writng much code. Almost as good as autoit in terms of funtionality. Can detect more COM/API objects(I don't know what the heck is that, but there are some buttons and controls which autoit can't pick up, where automate can) than autoit. very low learning curve

but

-automate couldn't support Win9x platforms

-not portable(you can't compile an EXE and use it on another computer)

-the license isn't cheap

-not very customizable(GUI creation and some others)

there's quite a couple more software/tools which i reviewed, but we chose autoit in the end

Edited by Shibuya

The speed of sound is defined by the distance from door to computer divided by the time interval needed to close the media player and pull up your pants when your mom shouts "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!"

If you are using the SciTE editor for AutoItv3 then you should also have a script generation program available to you. Anytime you have a no code environment there are always going to be things that are just beyond your control.

I can assure you with AutoIt there wont be anything lacking. My above statement some may take as a argumenative statement. I just want you to know. I am not stating any facts, just my personal observations.

If in any case you are still having trouble deciding why not just go with the free option. AutoIt of course. If it doesnt work out I am sure it wont be much trouble for the AutoMate to be put into process. I must say though if you apply yourself fully or your staff does to learning AutoIt. Your tasks will not fail. I havent tried something yet that I could not complete.

Everyday it seems there are more and more items popping up in the Scripts and Scraps forum. There are always more ideas. Another good thing about AutoIt IMHO is that we are still in process of building and making the language better. Adding more functionality, yet keeping the executables small.

Just make sure you make a wise decision. Which I am sure is exactly what you are trying to do as you are asking for help.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help any further,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)