mlazovjp

C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe is hidden from AutoIt in Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update)

mlazovjp

OK, this one is baffling me and my coworkers.

I created an AutoIt script with Windows 10 1607 (or maybe 1511) that would do a RunWait "DisplaySwitch.exe /clone" to have both monitors display the same content.  It worked without issue.  Then I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update).  Now when I run the script, it executes everything before and after the RunWait command but the display properties never change.  I used variables to capture the result of the RunWait command and the value of @error.  RunWait returns 0, @error returns 1 (though I don't know what that means exactly).

I started over with a two-line AutoIt script which attempts to run DisplaySwitch.exe and nothing happens.  I modified the RunWait command to run C:\windows\system32\DisplaySwitch.exe but nothing happens.  So, I created a batch file which just attempts to run C:\windows\system32\DisplaySwitch.exe followed by a pause statement so I could read the results.  It reports "'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.". :blink:

So I modified the batch file to perform a directory listing of C:\Windows\system32\*.exe .  It generates a list of 337 files, but if you look through the list, DisplaySwitch.exe is missing.  I then modified the batch file to perform a recursive search for DisplaySwitch.exe from the root of C:\ and it eventually finds this single file: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-displayswitch_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.15063.0_none_fdd58a325d4a2de2\displayswitch.exe

I can run that file from the batch file and it works fine.  If I run the batch file directly rather than through an AutoIt script, it works fine and it lists DisplaySwitch.exe in C:\Windows\system32 .  

I have compiled the AutoIt script using v3.3.14.2 and in desperation, I even compiled it with autoit-v3.3.15.0-beta-setup.exe with the same results.  I also tried adding #RequireAdmin with the same results.  If I look at the security properties of the file I cannot find anything which implies that a script could not access it.  I also notice that if I open a command prompt and do the same directory listing of all .exe files in C:\windows\system32 it lists 660 files, compared to only 337 files when that command is run through my AutoIt script.  I can also report that when I made these two files available for download through Google Drive to my colleague running Windows 10 1511, Smart Filter and Symantec both complained about the files, but we bypassed the warning and they executed properly (i.e. DisplaySwitch.exe was visible in C:\windows\system32 and it switched to Clone Mode).  My other colleague with 1703 has the same problem as me where DisplaySwitch.exe is invisible to scripts running from within an AutoIt script.

switch.au3

switch.cmd

anthonyjr2

My guess is the DisplaySwitch binary maybe switched to being 64-bit?

Try adding this to the top of your script:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y

• Like 1

UHJvZmVzc2lvbmFsIENvbXB1dGVyZXI=

Jos

That will only work with the Full SciTE4AutoIt3 installer loaded. Key thing is  indeed to compile/run with the x64 version of AutoIt3.

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions  - Beta files                                How to post scriptsource        Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

mlazovjp
29 minutes ago, anthonyjr2 said:

My guess is the DisplaySwitch binary maybe switched to being 64-bit?

Try adding this to the top of your script:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y

That fixed the problem.  The new barebone script works properly.  Unfortunately, the original, more complicated script used a .dll file which no longer works when running with the x64 wrapper directive.  I am going to see if there is a 64-bit version of the commg.dll file and try again.  Thank you!!!

Edit: 2017-07-10 12:41pm EST

Yeah, so, I am probably screwed.  The author only made a 32-bit .dll file.

Note the following shortcomings:

the dll is 32 bit so it will not work with a 64 bit app.

Edited by mlazovjp

anthonyjr2

That user has not posted for over a year, so you are most likely out of luck. Unless someone comes around and rewrites a similar UDF there will probably not be a 64-bit update.

UHJvZmVzc2lvbmFsIENvbXB1dGVyZXI=

Jos
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, nergeia said:

A simple solution is replacing "c:\windows\system32" with "c:\windows\sysnative". 

A simple solution to what?
First post in an 6 months old thread...  why?

Jos

Edited by Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions  - Beta files                                How to post scriptsource        Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      Hi Virtual People, 
      I'm trying to lock my screen in Windows 10 but to no avail. 
      Has Windows 10 forbidden this feature? 
      Send("#l") Above code does not work. Even sending Ctrl Alt Del does not work nor as an Admin. 
      Note: I want to lock my screen, not log off. Thanks for been kind.

• astrionn
      By astrionn
      Hi Guys,

I`m trying to record with my webcam in 5s intervalls and do some stuff between starting to record and stoping.
      I took code from here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/27925-webcam-example/
      and took what looked relevant to me.
      I use 3 different files:
       Is called WMS.au3 and contains all the constants for the dll calls is called rec.au3 and does all necessary dll calls to start a webcam recording to a file Is called stopcam.exe and does the dll calls to stop recording into a file WMS.au3  :
      $WM_CAP_START = 0x400 $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START = $WM_CAP_START +100 $WM_CAP_PAL_SAVEA = $WM_CAP_START + 81 $WM_CAP_PAL_SAVEW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 81 $WM_CAP_UNICODE_END = $WM_CAP_PAL_SAVEW $WM_CAP_ABORT = $WM_CAP_START + 69 $WM_CAP_DLG_VIDEOCOMPRESSION = $WM_CAP_START + 46 $WM_CAP_DLG_VIDEODISPLAY = $WM_CAP_START + 43 $WM_CAP_DLG_VIDEOFORMAT = $WM_CAP_START + 41 $WM_CAP_DLG_VIDEOSOURCE = $WM_CAP_START + 42 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_CONNECT = $WM_CAP_START + 10 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_DISCONNECT = $WM_CAP_START + 11 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_GET_CAPS = $WM_CAP_START + 14 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_GET_NAMEA = $WM_CAP_START + 12 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_GET_NAMEW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 12 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_GET_VERSIONA = $WM_CAP_START + 13 $WM_CAP_DRIVER_GET_VERSIONW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 13 $WM_CAP_EDIT_COPY = $WM_CAP_START + 30 $WM_CAP_END = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_END $WM_CAP_FILE_ALLOCATE = $WM_CAP_START + 22 $WM_CAP_FILE_GET_CAPTURE_FILEA = $WM_CAP_START + 21 $WM_CAP_FILE_GET_CAPTURE_FILEW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 21 $WM_CAP_FILE_SAVEASA = $WM_CAP_START + 23 $WM_CAP_FILE_SAVEASW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 23 $WM_CAP_FILE_SAVEDIBA = $WM_CAP_START + 25 $WM_CAP_FILE_SAVEDIBW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 25 $WM_CAP_FILE_SET_CAPTURE_FILEA = $WM_CAP_START + 20 $WM_CAP_FILE_SET_CAPTURE_FILEW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 20 $WM_CAP_FILE_SET_INFOCHUNK = $WM_CAP_START + 24 $WM_CAP_GET_AUDIOFORMAT = $WM_CAP_START + 36 $WM_CAP_GET_CAPSTREAMPTR = $WM_CAP_START + 1 $WM_CAP_GET_MCI_DEVICEA = $WM_CAP_START + 67 $WM_CAP_GET_MCI_DEVICEW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 67 $WM_CAP_GET_SEQUENCE_SETUP = $WM_CAP_START + 65 $WM_CAP_GET_STATUS = $WM_CAP_START + 54 $WM_CAP_GET_USER_DATA = $WM_CAP_START + 8 $WM_CAP_GET_VIDEOFORMAT = $WM_CAP_START + 44 $WM_CAP_GRAB_FRAME = $WM_CAP_START + 60 $WM_CAP_GRAB_FRAME_NOSTOP = $WM_CAP_START + 61 $WM_CAP_PAL_AUTOCREATE = $WM_CAP_START + 83 $WM_CAP_PAL_MANUALCREATE = $WM_CAP_START + 84 $WM_CAP_PAL_OPENA = $WM_CAP_START + 80 $WM_CAP_PAL_OPENW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 80 $WM_CAP_PAL_PASTE = $WM_CAP_START + 82 $WM_CAP_SEQUENCE = $WM_CAP_START + 62 $WM_CAP_SEQUENCE_NOFILE = $WM_CAP_START + 63 $WM_CAP_SET_AUDIOFORMAT = $WM_CAP_START + 35 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_CAPCONTROL = $WM_CAP_START + 85 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_ERRORA = $WM_CAP_START + 2 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_ERRORW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 2 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_FRAME = $WM_CAP_START + 5 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_STATUSA = $WM_CAP_START + 3 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_STATUSW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 3 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_VIDEOSTREAM = $WM_CAP_START + 6 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_WAVESTREAM = $WM_CAP_START + 7 $WM_CAP_SET_CALLBACK_YIELD = $WM_CAP_START + 4 $WM_CAP_SET_MCI_DEVICEA = $WM_CAP_START + 66 $WM_CAP_SET_MCI_DEVICEW = $WM_CAP_UNICODE_START + 66 $WM_CAP_SET_OVERLAY = $WM_CAP_START + 51 $WM_CAP_SET_PREVIEW = $WM_CAP_START + 50 $WM_CAP_SET_PREVIEWRATE = $WM_CAP_START + 52 $WM_CAP_SET_SCALE = $WM_CAP_START + 53 $WM_CAP_SET_SCROLL = $WM_CAP_START + 55 $WM_CAP_SET_SEQUENCE_SETUP = $WM_CAP_START + 64 $WM_CAP_SET_USER_DATA = $WM_CAP_START + 9 $WM_CAP_SET_VIDEOFORMAT = $WM_CAP_START + 45 $WM_CAP_SINGLE_FRAME = $WM_CAP_START + 72 $WM_CAP_SINGLE_FRAME_CLOSE = $WM_CAP_START + 71 $WM_CAP_SINGLE_FRAME_OPEN = $WM_CAP_START + 70 $WM_CAP_STOP = $WM_CAP_START + 68 rec.au3  :

#include <WMS.au3> #include <GUIConstants.au3> if not FileExists(@ScriptDir&"\vid\"&string(@MON)&"\"&string(@mday)) Then DirCreate(@ScriptDir&"\vid\"&"\"&string(@MON)&"\"&string(@mday)) EndIf $moviefile = @ScriptDir&"\vid"&"\"&string(@MON)&"\"&string(@mday)&"\test.avi" $avi = DllOpen("avicap32.dll") $user = DllOpen("user32.dll") FileWrite(@scriptdir&"\clop.clop",$user) $Main = GUICreate("Camera",350,270) $moviefile=@ScriptDir&"\test.avi" $cap = DllCall($avi, "int", "capCreateCaptureWindow", "str", "cap", "int", BitOR($WS_CHILD,$WS_VISIBLE), "int", 15, "int", 15, "int", 320, "int", 240, "hwnd", $Main, "int", 1) FileWrite(@scriptdir&"\clip.clip",$cap[0]) run(@scriptdir&"\stopcam.exe") DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_DRIVER_CONNECT, "int", 0, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_SET_SCALE, "int", 1, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_SET_OVERLAY, "int", 1, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_SET_PREVIEW, "int", 1, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_SET_PREVIEWRATE, "int", 1, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_FILE_SET_CAPTURE_FILEA, "int", 0, "str", $moviefile) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap[0], "int", $WM_CAP_SEQUENCE, "int", 0, "int", 0) Stopcam.exe is the compiled version of this:
      #include "WMS.au3" #include <GUIConstants.au3> $cap = Int(FileRead(@scriptdir&"\clip.clip")) $user = int(fileread(@scriptdir&"\clop.clop")) Sleep(10000) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap, "int", $WM_CAP_STOP, "int", 0, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap, "int", $WM_CAP_END, "int", 0, "int", 0) DllCall($user, "int", "SendMessage", "hWnd", $cap, "int", $WM_CAP_DRIVER_DISCONNECT, "int", 0, "int", 0) DllClose($user) FileDelete(@scriptdir&"\clip.clip") FileDelete(@scriptdir&"\clop.clop")  
      Unfortunately this is not working as I thought it would be working.
      Does someone see what I´m doing wrong?
      It should record the webcam for about 10 seconds ( a little less) and save that to an .avi file.
      It does not stop the recording , I have to stop the process manually...
      Secondly, which confuses me more is that it creates the test.avi not in the location is specified in the script... its stored in the ScriptDir for whatever reason haha
      I hope you can help me

~HappyCoding
    • Daydreamer067
      By Daydreamer067
      Hi
      in windows 10 i create a new desktop.
      I want to run a script in this desktop, for exemple Mouseclick("left",x,y)
      I want the script to work in that desktop while i switch to the primary desktop.
      So far autoit clicks on the active desktop.
      Is there a way to make it run only on the other desktop ?

Thank you for your response.
    • codingislife
      By codingislife
      Hi everyone, 
      I'm new to the autoit world and am trying to do something a little complicated and am having trouble developing a solution. My OS after reimaging comes up with two operating system choices during boot up, I'd like to delete the incorrect OS. I have noticed that the default OS is always the correct OS. My issue is I need a way to find the OS identifier before I can delete. I know that I  can use bcdedit to find this but it changes every time and it needs to be the correct identifier (i.e. not the Default or bootmgr). If someone knows of a way to parse through the output of bcdedit to find the identifier that would be greatly appreciated. Here is an example of what I am trying to do:
      https://scottiestech.info/2016/07/03/remove-the-choose-an-operating-system-message-when-starting-your-computer/
    • PramodR
      By PramodR
      Hello,
      i am new to AUTO IT development , I would like one help to read value from a POP up.
      i am able to read below values using inspect tool , information given below, I tried to create a script to read value but that does not help. any help is appreciated.
      Available Controls
      POPUP window Controls
      Auto Id = "UpdateNow_Btn"
      Name = Update Now
      Invoke - Button Control
      Below Controls i get when i move inspector tool to the text which i need to read. i need to read the text Name . Currently with my code i get only blank text 
      Auto Id = timeOutLb
      ClassName = TextBlock
      LegacyIAccess = GetName
      Name  = Read Value for Name

My code.