Ostheer

String captured from window text invalid as pathname

Ostheer

I am running into a problem automating an installation procedure. I want to install a program, and then patch it with a custom UserPatch to remove some glitches.

The UserPatch executable must be run from the installation directory, so I must retrieve this address from the installer. Then, after the program is installed, the script must copy the UserPatch file to the installation directory, and run it from there.

I retrieve the pathname as shown below. The script copies the raw text from the window, which I strip down to just the line containing the pathname.

WinActivate("Dir browse box title")
    $InstallDir = WinGetText("Dir browse box title")
    $split = StringSplit( $InstallDir, "&Path", 1)
    $InstallDir = $split[2]
    $split = StringSplit( $InstallDir, "&OK", 1)
    $InstallDir = $split[1]
    ControlClick("Dir browse box title", "&Drives", "[Class:CButtonClassName; INSTANCE:2]")
    Sleep(100)

When printing "$InstallDir" after the above procedure, it shows exactly what I want it to be: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path to\Installation folder" (without '"').

The problem is this: It doesn't copy the file when I run the code snippet below. It does work when I hardcode the pathname (commented in the code below), but not when using the $InstallDir variable as retrieved by the code snippet above.

; Install the UserPatch
; $InstallDir = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Path to\Installation folder"
$UserPatchName = "SetupAoC.exe"

FileCopy($UserPatchName, $InstallDir & "\" & $UserPatchName)
Run($InstallDir & "\" & $UserPatchName)

WinWait("SetupAoC - Feature Update Tool")
ControlClick("SetupAoC - Feature Update Tool", "Install", "[Class:DirectUIHWND; INSTANCE:1]")
Send("{SPACE}")
Sleep(2000)
WinClose ("SetupAoC - Install Complete")
WinClose ("SetupAoC - Feature Update Tool")

I've got the feeling that I'm missing something obvious, but I really can't tell what the problem is? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Earthshine

lol, i read your last thread too.

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

Melba23

Ostheer,

I see you did not read those rules to which I linked very carefully - you missed the part that says:

"Do not repost the same question if the previous thread has been locked - particularly if you merely reword the question to get around one of the prohibitions listed above"

Do NOT start another thread on this - our patience has limits.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Melba23

Earthshine,

Please do not start posting like that - you can see here what happened to the last guy who found it funny!

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area