TheSaint

33 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

By the way, if anyone would prefer to have a RoboCopy Timer or Xcopy Timer (etc) version of my program, then the source is provided in the zip, and it is only a small portion of code (and some names) that would need changing ... you could even make it optional very easily.

Uh Where?

10 minutes ago, Bilgus said:

Uh Where?

Damn. Sorry about that, I will add a sources zip to first post.

I hadn't realized it was an old zipping method that didn't include the source files, unless I specifically told it to.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.4. See first post.

(v2.4) Bugfix for enabling the MIN button etc, when selecting a Favorite destination that exists (somehow it missed being implemented, probably due to MIN being a later addition). The total number of Jobs is now also displayed as part of the 'Job Paths' group text.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

6 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Did you also re-post the source too if we want to do another copier or would the fixes not apply for an RoboCopy Timer

LOL. All is revealed if you check the download link. ;)

And code changes are independent of whatever EXE is involved.

P.S. Jeez you were quick, I'd only just pulled my pants back up. :lol:

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

17 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

would the fixes not apply for an RoboCopy Timer

Further to my previous answer.

Very little code was added. Use something like WinMerge with previous and latest au3 scripts to see the differences.

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.5. See first post.

(v2.5) Added support for multiple drag & drop in MINimum mode, thanks to a Lazycat example from 2006. Multiple files/folders can be added either as individual jobs or combined as a single job per drop. Kudos Lazycat. :D

Latest Screenshots

Teracopytimer_main.PNG.f3adf46fb059f5db229430fae8973a29.PNG 

Teracopytimer_min.PNG.6454c55e6a259a0ce882685f20927da7.PNG

NOTES - This has been a somewhat complex undertaking this update, so for those like Earthshine who have adapted an earlier version for Robocopy etc (which hopefully he will share here soon ;)), there may be an issue in regard to processing a list of file paths.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Heads up.

Funny how things belatedly occur to you sometimes. :blink:

I should add a combining 'ADD TO LIST' option. In fact, I could have easily had the option all along, where a copy or move list is built similar to the new multiple drag & drop combine list. But instead of selecting a bunch of files &/or folders and then drag & dropping them into a combined list for TeraCopy, You could also build that same kind of combined list one by one using drag & drop. No idea why I haven't thought of that until the last 24 hours. Expect to see it added to the next update. :D

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.6. See first post.

(v2.6)
BUGFIX for clearing last source and job values from memory when a job is deleted, plus an extra dialog prompt option has been added, to clear just the Source field.
Added an ability to ADD to an existing (must be selected) combined list. This works in both INDIVIDUAL or CONCENATE options, but independently. So either or both can be set.

NOTES
If the new 'Add To List' option is set to blank in INDIVIDUAL mode, then any drag & drop, regardless of numbers, will create an independent Job entry and number for each file or folder. If not blank, then either each file or folder gets added to an existing selected combine list, or one is created.

If the new 'Add To List' option is set to blank in the CONCENATE mode, then only multiple selections with drag & drop, will be added to their own combine list (same as for previous version). Single drag & drop items, in that scenario, do not get added to a list. If not blank, then any selected combine list is added to or a new one created, regardless of drag & drop numbers.

When both the INDIVIDUAL and CONCENATE options are set to 'Add To List', then the result is pretty much the same.

Latest Screenshot

TC_min_2-6.png.4717d5d32c3cc5c8ba4d8c9509b5475e.png

P.S. I imagine it will take a bit to wrap your head around the various differences ... but hey, it shouldn't be harder than flying a plane. :muttley:

P.S.S. Due to all the rain we had here today (much needed), I found time to do this update much sooner than expected. It took a bit to wrap my head around how to code this feature initially, but a way forward eventually showed up. I hope it is simple enough? Enjoy! :D

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.7. See first post.

(v2.7)
Warnings added for when drive letter of Source and Destination are the same.
Added a 'View List' option for combine files in MIN mode (see the dropdown field).
NOTE - At this stage it is only basic, using Notepad as viewer. That means, any editing of the combine file by a user, will not be reflected in overall total Job file size (i.e. path added or removed), unless user selects YES in the presented 'Update Query' dialog. Selecting YES will mean that everything will get recalculated (if a file size change has been detected). I may do a future program update (with a better viewer) to simplify and automate any recalculating for such changes.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Funny story about this latest update, though it was not funny at the time.

One major thing that all ethical coders dread, is their program deleting something it shouldn't belonging to a user. So I had a scare in that regard, when involved in some troubleshooting of TeraCopy Timer, when all of a sudden I noticed two source folders were missing, both containing videos, and one had many. To say i was a bit off my stride yesterday, would be entirely true. One of my ears was giving me grief, I had a headache, and I had awoken that way. So even after medication, I still felt pretty lousy, and mentally I was not entirely up to par. I needed a distraction, and had an update idea on the back-burner, and current use of this program, was put on hold to add the new feature, as I was wishing for it right then and there.

I was however, due to my state, only going to do a basic update, and then add more complex features to it another time when I mentally felt up to it. I did that. Then as often happens, I thought I would make a little start on some of the easier more complex stuff ... but not yet implement any of it. So anyway, I got partway through, and then thought, hang on, this is not as complex as I thought it would be, as most of the code is already done, in functions I can call ... one with a little tweak to make more suitable. So I did all that, and then started my testing and fine tuning.

Then I got to a point where for some strange reason, a delay of 4 mins that was not supposed to be occurring until a third MOVE job, was seemingly happening before first job. While troubleshooting that, I eventually discovered the two missing source folders. I got an error message on subsequent testing, that a source was missing. That blew my mind, especially as I was sure nothing was supposed to be deleting anything, TeraCopy was the only element copying or moving files around, and it hadn't started because of that 4 minute delay ... or so I thought.

So for a while there I was in a real spin. I knew that one file (if used) got deleted after a job had completed, but it was a text file, not a folder, and I had checks in place. Anyway I went paranoid and added even more checks. This is for the 'Combine List_1.txt' etc file if it gets created.

At this point I had not lost anything important, because I had a backup on another drive of those two folders, but I was starting to panic, because I had shared my program here at AF. That drive however wasn't accessible by the Win XP laptop I was working on, being GPT not MBR and 4 Tb. So I started up my my Win 7 Netbook, so I could gain access to the backup copy of those two folders.

While it was doing that, I resumed testing, and then it was that I noticed two things almost simultaneously. That the first two jobs were actually being processed, and so the 4 min delay was for the right job. They were just being processed in a blink of an eye. So something wasn't right. I had also browsed back up the tree on one of the two external HDD I was working with, and just noticed the two folders I thought were missing. Phew, they hadn't been deleted, and I fairly quickly determined what had happened from that point on.

I was moving a large bunch of folders from one portable HDD to another, and I had done some the day before, and set the Destination folder. On the following day, the day in question, I had just booted up my PC and connected the HDDs again. What I hadn't noticed and hadn't thought to check (I blame my foggy minded unwell state), was that the drives had gotten the opposite drive letters. So in short, the Source and Destination drive in Job settings in TeraCopy Timer, was the same. Both drives had a similar enough folder structure, but not completely exact.

So what had happened, was that those first two folders (each a separate Job) had been an instant process because they were only being moved from one location on a drive to another location on the same drive.

You'll note, that one of the new features in this latest update, attempts to address this issue - Warnings added for when drive letter of Source and Destination are the same. I guess in theory, those warnings might be annoying to some, but also in theory, you would hardly be likely to use TeraCopy Timer to MOVE files around on the same drive. You might for COPY, so I may consider addressing that issue later.

The things we do sometimes. :sweating:  :muttley:

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Sounds like you had a sweat the other day...

Reading the issue, it reminded me of another backup tool I used where you can use the drive's serial number instead of drive letter, exactly to avoid this issue with volumes changing letters. There is always room for yet another paranoid check... ;)

Edited by Vincor
wrong day ^^

On 4/22/2018 at 3:38 AM, Vincor said:

.... you can use the drive's serial number instead of drive letter, exactly to avoid this issue with volumes changing letters. There is always room for yet another paranoid check...

Mmmmm I shall ponder upon that. Off the top of my head, it seems it might not be too onerous to implement. Thanks for responding. :)

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.8. See first post.

(v2.8) Number of paths in a combine file is now shown when selected. Some other controls were changed to accommodate (text, size & position).

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v2.9. See first post.

(v2.9)
The 'copy' mode option is no longer automatically selected after a Job is manually deleted, instead the user gets a warning on the removal query dialog.
Added a new option to 'Minimal' mode, called 'New List', which saves on doing a few clicks or mistakes.

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v3.0. See first post.

(v3.0)
Changed some destination buttons (text & width).
Dropping a drive onto the Dropbox for 'Change All' now results in a query of what portion of the destination path to change.

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v3.1. See first post.

(v3.1)
Any 'wait' for the first job, is now shown at program start, plus user is notified with an alert.
Bugfixes for Job renumbering etc.
Various improvements.
Canceling before all jobs have completed now presents a query to remove those jobs that have finished.

NOTE - This is somewhat of a major update, as I had to dig deep and rewrite a bunch of code, plus add some new.

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v3.3. See first post.

(v3.3)
The STOP button now has a red area around it when Shutdown is enabled, and its screen position is now recorded & restored.
More Splash are shown for Calculating and Recalculating.

(v3.2)
All relevant controls are now disabled until Job processing has finished.
The STOP button now has additional information in regard to 'Stop Monitoring'.

P.S. By the way, 'Stop Monitoring', also means stop controlling.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

TeraCopy Timer updated to v3.5. See first post.

(v3.5)
Major Update.
Program now supports Projects, which can be created or loaded.
NOTE - If the program has been used previously and Jobs exist, then they will be migrated to a project when this version update first runs.
Project file name is a date based INI file located in the new Projects folder, in the root of the program folder.

WARNING - Be wary of the 'Add To List' and 'New List' options (in MIN mode). In other words, double check where additions end up. Even I have been bitten by these changes ... not that I lost anything, a few things just ended up in the wrong destination. Diligence is the name of the game. HINT - Use the 'View List' option (in MIN mode) if unsure.

NOTE - I developed this Projects version, because I sometimes had a big project on the go, that I would stop and start for convenience sake. Meanwhile I sometimes got lesser small jobs I wanted to use the program for. Now you can do both.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 1 year later...

If you like this program but wish it were a bit simpler and don't need some of the more advanced things, then my new program TeraCopy Cure may be just the program for you. It also features delayed starts, and additionally has a browse tree, plus you can add more jobs while existing jobs are running, plus quickly and simply add to an existing job, plus a right-click Explorer support option, etc.

Spoiler

userbar.png