Sign in to follow this  
moet36

Handling script logging and onscreen messages in multiple languages

moet36

Curious what the best approach to this might be? Or if perhaps I'm already using it.

So its standard procedure where I work to include detailed logging/reports/prompts to the end user as the script is being executed to perform its function. Living here in Canada means that I need to respect the possibility of language barriers in Quebec for instance, where it may include offices that are operating completely in French rather than English.

My current approach is leveraging a simple @OSLang check and an IF statement to relay a preconfigured message in the case of an English return, and an already translated version of the same message in the case a French Windows installation is detected.

Looking for a more sophisticated method....if there is any available? I'm guessing it's likely a pretty tall order to expect autoit to suddenly translate text for me but because I'm still learning, I figured I'd ask and see what options there might be out there.

Thanks!

Earthshine

Back in VB six days I used an INI file with all the translations and looked them up from there

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

orbs

if you do not wish customers to make fun of your program, then stick to your current method and translate every text displayed to the user yourself (or with the help of a colleague speaking the language).

i maintain a software that supports multiple languages. i made it so that i create an array of text messages, initialized by default in English, and the program can read an .ini file with translated text in it. so i made it very easy to integrate and maintain translations (and even potentially switch language at run-time), and indeed some of the non-English users have kindly submitted translations (which i then integrated into the official download package). i'm certain you can easily apply something similar. give it a shot, and feel free to ask if you encounter any difficulties.

• Like 1