Math Geniuses Please Help :)

Well I'm trying to create a nice nifty application that calculates exp gained via crafting. Yes, this is for yet another game. (I love games) Autoit works wonderfully by the way for situations like this.

I've actually been able to use autoit to work out various formulas and then create .html tables with the breakdowns associated with the formulas. The application is just a profiler that lets you see how much exp you gain based off various skills.

Now the problem. I'm trying to calculate the exp gained and am having trouble finding out the inner formula. So, I'm hoping that there is a math wizard on here that may be able to help me with this puzzling scenario.

To make it easier to understand, here are the variables.

Item A

-- always costs 5 resources to create UNTIL

-- 34% (PS) of optimal skill which breaks it down to 4 resources UNTIL

-- 67% (PS) of optimal skill which breaks it down to 3 resources UNTIL

-- 100% (PS) of optimal skill which breaks it down to 2 resources.

Perent of Skill (PS) is calculated like so:

PS = ((Current Crafting Skill - Minimum Skill Needed) / (Optimal Skill - Minimum Skill Needed))

To shorten this we'll call the formula above as:

PS = ((CCS - MSN) / (OS - MSN));

----

Now then, if I lost you I'm sorry. If you are still with me, here goes:

When looking at Item A the following is shown:

6%(PS) 1(MSN) 200(OS) 14(CCS)

Item A is also a Tier 1 resource.

To gain a level the level is calculated at Tier ^ 4 * 100. So to go from level 1 to level 2 you need 100 experience points.

When creating (1) of Item A I receive 4 experience points. And here is the question?

What is the formula for Item A that brings me to 4 experience points earned? I though at first that it may be as simple as Tier ^ 4 * 4. It is not. Here are some more examples and maybe you can see where I'm going wrong here or why my math is off.

These are examples up to level 4.

Level 1: 6%(PS) 1(MSN) 200(OS) 14(CCS) = 4 experience points per item created.

Level 2: 11%(PS) 1(MSN) 200(OS) 23(CCS) = 4 experience points per item created.

Level 3: 15%(PS) 1(MSN) 200(OS) 31(CCS) = 4 experience points per item created.

Level 4: 19%(PS) 1(MSN) 200(OS) 40(CCS) = 4 experience points per item created.

In all of these examples, the amount of resources needed to create Item A is 5 resources. When the (PS) reaches 34%, the amount of resources needed will be 4 resources. Now in Item B example, you will see a few things differently, namely (OS) and (PS).

These are examples for Item B.

Level 3: 20%(PS) 1(MSN) 100(OS) 21(CCS) = 18 experience points per item created. (Required 6 resources to make)

Level 4: 37%(PS) 1(MSN) 200(OS) 38(CCS) = 17 experience points per item created. (Required 5 resources to make)

Now item B is a little bit different because it started at 6 resources instead of 5 but you can see once it reached 34% or higher it broke down to 1 less resource. You will also notice that instead of 18 exp gained, 17 is the new number.

Using these two examples, if anyone wants to get a very large headache and try to figure out the formula for calculating exp gain, based off of the information I gave you, I would be very happy.

There are currently 4 tiers of resources in the game. Tier 1 - Tier 4. All of the examples above are using Tier 1.

Thank you in advance.

My Projects: [topic="89413"]GoogleHack Search[/topic], [topic="67095"]Swiss File Knife GUI[/topic], [topic="69072"]Mouse Location Pointer[/topic], [topic="86040"]Standard Deviation Calculator[/topic]

Looking at your numbers a few things puzzled me.

Item A is also a Tier 1 resource.

To gain a level the level is calculated at Tier ^ 4 * 100. So to go from level 1 to level 2 you need 100 experience points.

When you say you need 100 points to go from level 1 to level 2, Tier ^ 4 * 100?

Tier to the 4th power * 100?

Tier /4 *100?

If you need 100exp to gain level2 from level 1, I would imagine you need a lot more to go to level 3.

To calculate when you move from one level to anouther, it seems you just need to look at how much resourse you use. (at least that is a constant.)

Personally I think you would have to have a lot more info to gather after looking at your numbers.

There looks like some rounding going on. Also I would say that there may be a minimum exp from any item.

In many games, there are level bonuses added to the lower levels, and also there may be adjustments to the amount of exp based on the amount of resources used, or a factor in it.

Good luck in your calculations, it might even only be assigned to each item, and level.

So level 1 item=4

level 2 item=18-skill level

Depending on the lazyness of the programer, you should be able to get a good guess after a few dozen different items or so.

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.