orbs

C++ equivalent of AutoIt wrapper directives?

orbs

hello everyone,

taking my first steps into C++, successfully compiled the "hello world" console application. trying to discover the C++ equivalent of AutoIt wrapper directives - i.e. how to add file version, product version, comments, icon, etc. to the compiled exe. i'm probably unfamiliar with the terminology, and i can't even figure out what to look for... :'( 

any hints are welcome.

Jos
12 minutes ago, orbs said:

i.e. how to add file version, product version, comments, icon,

Just update the resources file that should be part of your project. ;)

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions  - Beta files                                How to post scriptsource        Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

orbs

ok, so it's called a "resource file". fine.

when creating a new project, i see no default resource files (*.rc*) - except a manifest, which does not seem to be relevant. or is it?

now, i use Visual Studio Express, which apparently does not have a resource editor, and the "Add > Resource..." option is grayed-out (and tutorials for using that feature are abundant). the documentation, right after instructing me to do just that, is considerate enough to state:

You can only add a resource script (.rc file) to an existing project that is loaded into the Visual Studio IDE. You cannot create a standalone .rc file (one outside the project).

i also stumbled upon some references to a file named "resource.h" that should exist, by i don't have that one either. i guess it's important.

i'm guessing i'm not the first to hit this wall. please don't let me spend the whole week trying to figure this one out...

orbs

ok, found a workaround: i installed the full version of Visual Studio, and added the resource file by the official method. i noticed the "resource.h" file and the reference to it in the .rc file - the syntax is much more complicated than i could have ever figure out on my own... i will proceed onto taking these files into the Visual Studio Express and see how they fit in. or i'll just stick with the full version.