ben9964

Script to change certain system settings

ben9964

Hello!

I am new to posting on the forum but have been playing around with autoit on and off, briefly glancing at forum threads about things i might want to do for the best part of 2 years. My scripts have barely ever gone much further than the example scripts but i would like to do something more now, thus me making an account on this forum.

now the formalities are out of the way lets get into why I am making this thread. This thread is being made because in school and out of school we do this sort of competition where you are given a virtual machine that has been not necessarily infected with viruses but it is not optimised for the upmost cyber security should we say. This is one of my favourite times of the year when we do this competition and i was reading their rules and it does state that scripting is allowed. The tasks we perform in this competition include but are not limited to things like changing firewall settings in the control panel, changing local group policies and audit policies. Disabling the default guest and administrator accounts. There are many more mundane tasks like this that i have done time and time again, i understand that  have to do some myself and the more complicated stuff is unpredictable but the main elements mostly always stay the same and i will score points for getting these. We get adequate time to do all of this but my thinking is that if i use a script to get all of the mundane tasks out of the way i can use the remainder of the time to get my teeth into the more challenging parts of the competition which eat away at most of the time.

When i thought about scripting i thought of autoit and the nature of this language. My main question in this is - Is it hypothetically possible to do the things that i mentioned above in autoit and if it is could one of you autoit connoisseurs help me get started - I'm not asking for any code but maybe point me in the direction of some UDF's that could be useful or some functions in the main autoit that could accomplish these things. To me the autoit forums is a maze even with the search functionality. 

Thanks,

Ben.

Melba23

ben9964,

I am sure you will understand that we do not want to have scripts showing how to do any of this "sort of competition" stuff:

like changing firewall settings in the control panel, changing local group policies and audit policies. Disabling the default guest and administrator accounts

on the forum. Thread locked.

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area