MLB.com Statistics Reader

archrival

I'm a huge into baseball statistics, and I like to work with them in spreadsheets. I know of this Lahman DB, but it's not updated for the 2005 season yet, nor is updated each day for currently progressing seasons. So I decided to write my own script to rip stats from the mlb.com webpage and generate CSV files with them. The main problem is it requires an internet connection and it needs to download each file everyday (only for an ongoing season; at the end of a season or for past seasons, it will use currently existing files) and those files add up to 200 MB+. It has allowed me to generate some nice spreadsheets for the 2005 season. I'm anticipating it will work fine for the upcoming season as well. If you have all of the HTML files, it takes about 15 minutes to generate the 3 CSV files. It obviously takes longer to download all files as needed. Currently it won't download if the files exist, I'll modify that later on once the season starts. Give me some feedback, I know there aren't many stats junkies that also use AutoIt, but I thought I'd share.

Edit: Removed redundant code, added age, handedness

MLBstats.au3

Edited by archrival