Original SciTE vs Autoit version = what's the difference?

VAN0

Hello.

Since SciTe for Autoit is lagging behind from official SciTe in updates I was wondering can we use official SciTe and have all the benefits (if there are any) of Autoit SciTe version?

I've tried copy official files over Autoit (as an attempt bring it to up-to-date), but lost all my settings and customizations.

So, I'm curious what is the difference between Autoit SciTe and official version? Is there any changes in compiled executable or only some editable files are different? From what I see there at least one .dll file that is not present in Autoit version.

Thank you.

• Developers
9 hours ago, VAN0 said:

Since SciTe for Autoit is lagging behind from official SciTe in updates I was wondering can we use official SciTe and have all the benefits (if there are any) of Autoit SciTe version?

Yes you can, but things will jot look the same as their version of my lexer is about 12+ years old. 
So what exactly are you missing from the current SciTE by Neil? 

9 hours ago, VAN0 said:

I've tried copy official files over Autoit (as an attempt bring it to up-to-date), but lost all my settings and customizations.

What files? .....  and yes there are many ways you can screw things up so don't come crying to me when stuff doesn't work anymore. ;) 

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

4 hours ago, Jos said:

Yes you can, but things will jot look the same as their version of my lexer is about 12+ years old.

What files? .....  and yes there are many ways you can screw things up so don't come crying to me when stuff doesn't work anymore. ;) 

Jos

4 hours ago, Jos said:

At the moment nothing that I can tell, other than it's almost 20 versions ahead with a lot of bugs fixed...(weather they are important or not, it's not the point)

But if they manage to fix that annoying tab shiffting "feature" on multiline tabbbar, I wouldn't want wait years for Autoit SciTe to catch up, just weighting my options here.

4 hours ago, Jos said:

and yes there are many ways you can screw things up so don't come crying to me when stuff doesn't work anymore. ;)

Hens is this topic started for, ya know...;)

4 hours ago, Jos said:

See, that's what I'm asking, "what's the difference"...

• Developers

43 minutes ago, VAN0 said:

At the moment nothing that I can tell

I am seriously wondering why anybody asks for a "newer release" without even bothering to check why. So you really am only interested in a new shiny version number?

35 minutes ago, VAN0 said:

other than it's almost 20 versions ahead

Huh?   2 sub version releases and 10 minor releases at best, of which a couple where bug fixes introduced  with the release.
Current SciTE4AutoIt3 Beta version is Version 4.2.0 Apr 18 2020 16:30:49   and the official, which I also use is at  4.4.3 with mostly preparations to the v5 where this plan is to have all Lexer external. 

I haven't even looked at what  it means to make lexers external, but I am sure it is going to be a shitload of work with as only result that the internals work differently. So I haven't decided as yet whether I am going to be bothered about doing all that work. 

Jos 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

jos,

Thank you for all your hard work on SciTE4AutoIt3.  

I strongly agree that there is no need to update the SciTE4AutoIt3 every time there is an incremental change in scintilla.  Many of the incremental changes in scintilla have to do with other programming languages or with features that are not used by SciTE4AutoIt3.

If users are having an issue with SciTE4AutoIt3, if the issue is due to scintilla, and if a scintilla update will fix the issue, then the update would be worth considering.  Otherwise updates should add important functionality.

Scintilla supports multiple operating systems, has many developers, has almost as many editors based up SciTE, and has a massive number of users.  Most of the scintilla version changes have added major features, improved performance, and/or have made interacting with multiple programming languages more efficient.  The jump between scintilla version 3 and version 4 was significant.  I again thank you for the extensive work it took to upgrade SciTE4AutoIt3 from version 3 to version 4.  I am glad you waited until the more stable version 4.1 was released.

Hopefully the jump from version 4 to version 5 will be less work.  Reportedly the main new feature of version 5 will be (as you noted) to move the language lexers into a separate (Lexilla) library.  Although this is not strictly necessary for SciTE4AutoIt3, I would like to support making the change once a stable version 5 is available.   I occasionally use SciTE4AutoIt3 for other programming languages.  Moving the lexers out of SciTE4AutoIt3.exe would make it easier for me to add modified lexers for other languages.

drposts