idletimer inside RDP session

LoWang

Hello, so I am again thinking about this never ending issue - how to keep RDP session alive in a corporate environment. One way is to have some script on client side which periodically switches to RDP window, moves mouse and switches back. I have it and it works fine. I am using _Timer_GetIdleTime() in a loop and do the mouse movement only if idletime is above some time, so it does not interrupt normal work.

I wonder how is RDP session timeout checked on the server side however, because I made a script which moves a mouse and presses some key and run it inside RDP session and it DOES reset the idletimer (I show it on screen via Tooltip function), but seems like it DOES NOT prevent session from getting disconnected/logged out (depengind on your company security settings). So it seems like there is some other hidden value which controls this and it cannot be influenced by any scripting running on the server side. Am I right?

My friend has Linux and connects to windows server, so I tried to work around his RDP session logout problems form the server side, but it seems impossible.

Edited by LoWang

• Moderators

What is the RDP timeout on the Windows box set for (Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Session Time Limits)? Why not just set it higher?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Mr Moderator I wrote "corporate environment". I think that pretty much implies, that you just cannot change some security settings and have to live with them somehow 😏 I would not bother with some crazy workaround if I could change those values. It is set to 10minutes which is crazy short, but try to explain it to your manager and his manager and his and his manager and then some security architect somewhere who got this silly idea :D

Anyway I will check with him what exactly is shown in rsop.msc...

Edited by LoWang

• Moderators

So what this tells me is you have a security policy in place, which you have no authority to change, and are thus trying to bypass. Not something we will support; read the forum rules.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!