Hardware Profiles

mikeyv

Hello all.

Firstly, I must say that AutoIt is one of the greatest tools I have ever run across. It, quite simply, rules.

Now for my question. I've searched this forum using a variety of keywords, but can't seem to find a resolution.

I recieve a new laptop that has been pre-imaged. I only need to change the name, add a few files (like RAS dialers, Cisco VPN profiles, and install and start the DameWare remote console service), change the hardware profiles, and join it to our domain.

I have AutoIt scripts that take care of most of this, but I'm stuck on the hardware profile part. The following steps may seem sort of dumb, but they're policy. We use 2 hardware profiles: dial-up and LAN. When in the dial-up profile, the NIC card needs to be disabled, and in the LAN profile, the modem needs to be diasbled.

I've (sort of) figured out how to script the disable hardware in the current profile part, but is there a way to select the default profile (i.e. right click My Computer, select Properties, select the Hardware tab, click the Hardware Profiles button, demote the current profile)?

I've looked for the profile information in the registry, but I can't find it. I've searched the Microsoft site to see if I could do this with no clear answer. And, as I said, I can't find the answer in this forum.

Idealy, I'd like it to check the current hardware profile and disable the appropriate device. I don't want anyone to write this script for me, I'd never learn otherwise. Just some pointers would be great.

Thanks!

Oxin went hunting and well...

You can open My Computer Properties with "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl"

As for registry keys, it would appear that it's in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\Hardware Profiles

Maybe that'll help some. You'll have a better idea than I will with what to do with that info. I'd try to go the registry route but if you can't figure that out I'd do ControlClick and the like and navigate the windows.

Oxin went hunting and well...

You can open My Computer Properties with "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl"

As for registry keys, it would appear that it's in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\Hardware Profiles

Maybe that'll help some. You'll have a better idea than I will with what to do with that info. I'd try to go the registry route but if you can't figure that out I'd do ControlClick and the like and navigate the windows.

Awsome. Thanks Oxin.

Question: did you get that info from the forum? If so, what search keywords did you use? I hate asking for things that have been posted already. Makes me feel foolish.

I will look into your tips.

Thanks again!