RunAsSet problem

ordy

I have seen other topics relating to this subject but I haven't seen one that addresses my particular problem.

I am trying to roll-out an unattended upgrade to one of our software packages and the local user needs to have admin privileges to install the upgrade. The idea was to create an exe file that would run the installer with a response file from a mapped drive created within the exe.

The first problem is the workstations are not in a domain so whilst I can copy the files to the workstation and use the RunAsSet to install locally, it will not work if I try to run it direct from the mapped drive. The second is that there is a data.cab file that's 100+Mb so I don't really want to have to copy that for every workstation.

Is there a way of doing the installation as the local desktops 'admin' user whilst accessing the files on the mapped drive as an admin user of that machine?

Does this make sense????

• Developers

The second is that there is a data.cab file that's 100+Mb so I don't really want to have to copy that for every workstation.

Is there a way of doing the installation as the local desktops 'admin' user whilst accessing the files on the mapped drive as an admin user of that machine?

Does this make sense????

Don't you need to download the data.cab file on the Local PC anyway to be able to install the upgrade ?

I tend to copy the files to a Temp directory on the local PC first and then change the credentials to a Local Admin account to run the install. After its done just cleanup the downloaded files.....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Don't you need to download the data.cab file on the Local PC anyway to be able to install the upgrade ?

I tend to copy the files to a Temp directory on the local PC first and then change the credentials to a Local Admin account to run the install. After its done just cleanup the downloaded files.....

I have created a script to work that way but it takes quite a while to do the copying. There are more than 100 machines to do so I thought that it would be better to run it from the mapped drive.

• Developers

I have created a script to work that way but it takes quite a while to do the copying. There are more than 100 machines to do so I thought that it would be better to run it from the mapped drive.

But.... i would think that Setup.exe will download the DATA.CAB totally anyways so don't think you are solving anything by doing it that way.

But if you want to try then you have to make sure you use a UNC path for the files and you use an account for runas that will also be allowed to read the file from the server....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the link and tried the makemeadmin.cmd

However I wasn't able to access mapped drive ? Did anyone else found something ?

ive had similar issues when trying to run a program / install locallaly as an admin, ie using the computers "administrator" account will not connect to a mapped drive because that account doesnt have the correct access. my way around it was to setup the script like its going to run from the user account, then map the drive as part of the script and run the app. when compiled use the runas feature in windows to run it as the local admin.

hope this helps

Hummm ? If i understood you right you made an autoit script with no runasset, compiled it then run it with the runas command from windows?

Doing this doesn't seem to work...

that is correct, however im on a domain and that seems to work ok for me. you did put in the script to map the drive ?