AutoHotKey vs AutoIt

Angel

Hi,

I am sorry if this subject is tabu. But I've seen AutoHotKey mentionned in the forums of several different programs that I use. People seem to really like it, but my impression is that AutoHotKey is just a pale imitation of AutoIt. I seem to recall that there had been a problem a long time ago, where the AutoHotKey guys took the GPLd AutoIt source code and modified it without giving proper credit or something like that. I was not around here at the time, so I'd like to know what really happened. I'd love to tell other people about AutoIt but I am pretty sure that the subject of open source versus semi-open source will come out and I'd like to know the facts before I answer them.

So, if it is not tabu to ask, could you guys tell me what happened (or if I am totally wrong and AutoIt has nothing to do with AutoHotKey please tell me so too).

Cheers,

Angel

I don't really know what really happend in the 'beginning' of AutoHotKey.

I saw Chris wrote credits to Jon and the Autoit3-Developerteam.

And I always have to say: everybody should use what (s)he likes :lmao:

I absolutely see no problem of using Autoit3 or AutoHotKey.

I like Autoit3 more cause mostly of the language syntax which is more near to a default (basic) programming language than AutoHotKey where the language syntax is more orientated on VisualBasicScipt/WindowsScripting I think.

In both tools you have advantages and disadvantages but both are free so far and build through people who does it for fun ;)

Edit: fixed typo o:)

Edited by Holger

I don't really know what really happend in the 'beginning' of AutoHotKey.

I saw Chris wrote credits to Jon and the Autoit3-Developerteam.

And I always have to say: everybody should use what (s)he likes :lmao:

I absolutely see no problem of using Autoit3 or AutoHotKey.

I like Autoit3 more cause mostly of the language syntax which is more near to a default (basic) programming language than AutoHotKey where the language syntax is more orientated on VisualBasicScipt/WindowsScripting I think.

In both tools you have advantages and disadvantages but both are free so far and build through people who does it for fun ;)

Edit: fixed typo o:)

Thanks Holger,

then what are the advantages of AutoHotKey above AutoIt v3 (other than compatibility with old AutoIt v2 scripts)?

Angel

Thanks Holger,

then what are the advantages of AutoHotKey above AutoIt v3 (other than compatibility with old AutoIt v2 scripts)?

Angel

I could not use AutoHotKey as it is based from AutoIt version 2. Still using Goto, Gosub and the rest of that DOS type of syntax. Sure, people have mentioned that it has Gui and other things, but still with an ancient syntax like that :lmao: well, atleast not for me. If people are happy with AutoHotKey, then good luck to them. There is still a few people who like AutoIt 2 syntax and do not want to change, so AutoHotKey is basicly a later update.

The only reason that AHK can even be compared to AutoIt is because of the feature to compile scripts, and guess what? It's an AutoIt script compiler (which was never GPL, incidentally...)

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

Dave, Jon told me that he gaves the source-code to Chris (the Re-Author of AHK) so I think this should be no problem ;)

BTW: like I always said: don't let others compare script languages for you - try them out and do it for yourself and at the end you will have one or two or three or... but hopefully enough to make your (admin) life easier :lmao:

Edited by Holger

Angel, this thread is pretty taboo. Most of the developers, myself included, have no love for AutoHotKey or how the author conducts himself. A lot of the older forum members (Time here, not actual age) also don't like AutoHotKey. The full history can probably be found with some diligent searching and if you do manage to discover the reason why AutoHotKey was started, it's pretty laughable.

These threads have a habit of getting out of hand so before any of that happens, I'm just going to lock it.

If you want some more information, search for "AutoHotKey" in the Developers forum and V2 Support (Thats V2, not V3). You'll find two or three interesting threads. They are easy to find, just look for the locked threads.