Assign() & Eval() how do they make things more difficult? (What I've read here...)

13 hours ago, coderusa said:

I did research only to find that most people, in the threads I read, instead suggest using arrays... . I do not see this issue with Assign() and Eval().

By posting this thread, you just open yourself a can of worms. And you're gonna get more of the same.
I code as I see fit and if later I do different, then that's that. Code as you please. My 2 cents. I tend to see these point of view threads that go on forever.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

13 hours ago, argumentum said:

By posting this thread, you just open yourself a can of worms. And you're gonna get more of the same.
I code as I see fit and if later I do different, then that's that. Code as you please. My 2 cents. I tend to see these point of view threads that go on forever.

You're absolutely right. Right and wrong are perspectives and not everyone's perspectives will be the same. When you come forward with "controversial" information that is against a forum's common belief, it is usually not greeted well. It doesn't matter what the forum is about, the mentality is the same: purists set in their ways. Nothing wrong with that, just makes people hard-headed and over confident of their own methods. Most of the stuff I find myself looking for on this forum is oooold and forgotten (like the AutoIT IRC channel), if I was in a library I would need a feather duster for the AutoIT section! 🤣 Someone comes along, years later, with innovative ideas  or methods for discussion and everyone's hair gets ruffled. I'd have to say I should've been more expectant, it is a forum community after all 😁 (Gotta love it!)

Again, no one is flatly rejecting your approach. Only the statement that Assign/Eval is the best solution for the use case is questioned.

Concrete arguments are missing so far, while concrete reasons against this solution were named.

Please stop pretending that you are suppressed for dogmatic reasons. Instead, so far you provide nothing to support your point of view, and you simply don't address the counter-arguments. It would actually be very enlightening if someone would come and actually show a use case where Assign/Eval represents the gold standard. Only: For this you need the concrete proof and you have not provided it so far, despite asking. Therefore, do not label others as dogmatists if they then question and argue accordingly.

And please don't call the use of Assign/Eval "innovative" - this is really old hat. Every few months (not only in this forum) someone comes along who thinks his problem can be solved best with Assign/Eval. But so far they could always be shown a much better alternative solution for their problem. This would most likely also be the case with you, but you refuse to describe the problem properly - probably because you are worried that someone will show you that there is a better way.

It was never about true or false - that is only your distraction. It is about concrete arguments.