AutoIT, Ghostscript and SCCM

saxe

Hi,

i am completely new to AutoIT thatswhy i have no experience in it.

Because of the Artifex decision to not offer the silent switch on Ghostscript installation any more, i am searching for another solution to script this.

Found a link

https://silentinstallhq.com/ghostscript-silent-install-how-to-guide/?expand_article=1

and it was very easy and it works fine if user clicks installation via SCCM/Software Center but not when its running user independently
as required installation.

So scenario is this:

if user clicks installation of Ghostscript in Software Center its either installing & upgrading fine

if none is logged on or we require the install/upgrade and its done itself (without user interacting) its running endlessly and application will not be installed

my default check with psexec-i -s cmd.exe and started the script and this runs fine. So where is the problem? Is there any AutoIT setting i am missing?

i changed it from batch to powershell app deployment toolkit installation but its just the same. The process is not ending, here some lines of the end of the PSADT log:

<![LOG[[Installation] :: [Ghostscript_Fresh_Install.exe] successfully resolved to fully qualified path [C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\zw\Files\Ghostscript_Fresh_Install.exe].]LOG]!><time="00:26:55.506120" date="09-12-2023" component="Execute-Process" context="NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM" type="1" thread="8848" file="Deploy-Application.ps1">
<![LOG[[Installation] :: Working Directory is [C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\zw\Files].]LOG]!><time="00:26:55.535120" date="09-12-2023" component="Execute-Process" context="NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM" type="1" thread="8848" file="Deploy-Application.ps1">
<![LOG[[Installation] :: Executing [C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\zw\Files\Ghostscript_Fresh_Install.exe /S]...]LOG]!><time="00:26:55.540120" date="09-12-2023" component="Execute-Process" context="NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM" type="1" thread="8848" file="Deploy-Application.ps1">

Any idea?

in the link you provided,
it has a different script for installation, and a different one for upgrading

and based on what you have already said, you have the gs, and you want an upgrade

and somewhere in the PSADT log: I saw an Ghostscript_Fresh_Install.exe

I thought maybe...  :think:

I know that I know nothing

8 minutes ago, ioa747 said:

in the link you provided,
it has a different script for installation, and a different one for upgrading

and based on what you have already said, you have the gs, and you want an upgrade

and somewhere in the PSADT log: I saw an Ghostscript_Fresh_Install.exe

I thought maybe...  :think:

no thats not the problem, it happens in both cases

As an SCCM admin, I feel you about developers making curious installer decisions. I understand it's not AutoIt script help but it sounds like you'll have to repackage it for deployment. I haven't had to deploy Ghostscript but occasions like this are why I always ask my employers to buy a license of New Boundary's Prism Deploy Packager (FKA PicTaker, my personal favorite) or Flexera's AdminStudio. Any delta capture should work; there are free ones out there but I don't have any experience with them.

Edited by rsn
corrected names of stuff mentioned

1 hour ago, rsn said:

As an SCCM admin, I feel you about developers making curious installer decisions. I understand it's not AutoIt script help but it sounds like you'll have to repackage it for deployment. I haven't had to deploy Ghostscript but occasions like this are why I always ask my employers to buy a license of New Boundary's Prism Deploy Packager (FKA PicTaker, my personal favorite) or Flexera's AdminStudio. Any delta capture should work; there are free ones out there but I don't have any experience with them.

I understand the point of Artifex but its ridiculous the other way around. I have written their sales for getting a commercial license to get the silent option back. No answer.

I will try Prism Deploy Packager and maybe its good maybe not. AdminStudio is too expensive and i need it only for Ghostscript (yet :))