how can affront this problem ?

Dear friends, I need to create an application with a ListView where data will be loaded and updated every x seconds. I wanted to understand if AutoIt can achieve this because I also need to process the data inside the ListView simultaneously with the data updates. I thought that perhaps a multithreaded language might be required, or if AutoIt can handle it in some way. Could you please advise me on the best way to proceed? Thanks you.

Your description it's not very detailed and it really depends on how data is updated and processed. But generally if you have large sets of data to update and also to process data simultaneously a multithreaded language might be more appropriate.

When the words fail... music speaks.

My guess is that for refreshing moderate volume data "every x seconds" AutoIt is more than sufficient, unless x < 0.1 but then what the heck a ListView?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

13 hours ago, armando7712 said:

Thank you, I suspected that it couldn't be done in AutoIt and that a programming language with stronger multithreading capabilities was needed.

I didn't said that it cannot be done in AutoIt. Give us more details so we can give you a more precise answer.

When the words fail... music speaks.

I have noticed that AutoIt is not multithreaded, even though I have seen some attempts to make it so. In practice, I need to manage a data stream in blocks of 13 data points. There can be anywhere from 1 block of 13 to 100 blocks of 13. Within these blocks, the data points vary randomly over time. I need to be able to populate them into a ListView based on a logic provided in a comment within the blocks. While one thread updates the ListView data, I also need to perform operations on the ListView and the received data. However, I don't think this can be achieved with AutoIt. I believe it would be easier to use a more structured programming language.

Your choice, but nothing seems to preclude using AutoIt.

What is the expected refresh rate of the input data stream/listview?

How much times does it take for a human user of the listview to view/select/pick item(s) within anything between 13 and 1300 lines?

Anyway, multithreading is evil.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

And the user will be able to monitor and act upon a largish listview at high frequently refresh rate ?

Rain man to the rescue!

Wish you best of luck with your project.