Why BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio1), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED instead of GUICtrlRead($idRadio1) = $GUI_CHECKED?

Go to solution Solved by Zedna,

I am always amazed by the eagerness of AutoIt experts to share their knowledge through this forum. Thank you all!
I have a question which may look silly to those who know the answer. If so, please pardon me.

Below is AutoIt Help example code on GUICtrlCreateRadio() function.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
GUICreate("My GUI radio") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered

Local $idRadio1 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Radio 1", 10, 10, 120, 20)
Local $idRadio2 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Radio 2", 10, 40, 120, 20)
Local $idButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button", 150, 200, 100, 20)
;GUICtrlSetState($idRadio2, $GUI_CHECKED)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; will display an  dialog box with 1 checkbox

Local $idMsg
; Loop until the user exits.
While 1
    $idMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $idMsg = $idRadio1 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio1), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'You clicked the Radio 1 and it is Checked.')
        Case $idMsg = $idRadio2 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio2), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Info:', 'You clicked on Radio 2 and it is Checked.')
    EndSelect
WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

If I use GUICtrlRead($idRadio1) = $GUI_CHECKED instead of BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idRadio1), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED, will I be missing something?

• Solution

See https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/FAQ#How_can_I_test_if_checkbox_/_radiobutton_is_checked?

In previous versions of AutoIt GUICtrlRead() returned more states (focused,disabled,...) so this approach with BitAnd() was the only one exactly correct.

In latest versions of AutoIt GUICtrlRead() returns only checked/unchecked states (and not others) so now (if you don't use older AutoIt's version) you can use simpler GUICtrlRead($control) = $GUI_CHECKED

Example of difference:

In older AutoIt if chekbox was checked and also disabled then GUICtrlRead($control) = $GUI_CHECKED returns FALSE

snippet from old AutoIt' helpfile for GUICtrlRead():

- for Checkbox/Radiostate returns state of the button, See State table

- For Checkbox, Radio control several states can be returned as $GUI_FOCUS and $GUI_CHECKED,. So use i.e. BitAnd(GUICtrlRead($Item),$GUI_CHECKED) to test if the control is checked.

snippet from new AutoIt' helpfile for GUICtrlRead():

- for Checkbox/Radiostate returns The checked state ($GUI_CHECKED or $GUI_UNCHECKED)

- For Checkbox and Radio controls only the $GUI_CHECKED (1), $GUI_UNCHECKED (4) or $GUI_INDETERMINATE (2) states are returned so the value can be used directly.

Edited by Zedna