_Timer_GetIdleTime() stopped working . Alternatives?

So I've been writing a companion application that monitors a separate bit of software.  When the user stops typing for about a second my companion application will read from that software and perform a supplemental database search.  To reduce the repetitive query count, I've been using _Timer_GetIdleTime() to make sure that I am only performing the search after the user is done typing and nothing on the screen has changed since the last screen read.  This has been working just fine until today.

I don't know if it is related but this morning my Laptop would not wake from sleep and I had to hard reset it.  I then went to Dell.com and applied the below 7 driver/firmware updates.  

- Dell Precision 5570 System BIOS - 1.18.0 - 22.81 MB - Critical
- Killer AX1690/AX1675/AX1650 and Intel AX411/AX211/AX210/AX201/AX200/9560/9462/9260/7265/3165 Bluetooth UWD Driver - A43 - 21.10 MB - Recommended
- Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - A80 - 422.66 MB - Recommended
- Intel Management Engine Components Installer - A08 - 194.63 MB - Critical
- Realtek Memory Card Reader Driver - A02 - 30.41 MB - Critical
- NVIDIA RTX A1000/A2000 Graphics Driver - A08 - 979.09 MB - Critical
- Intel AX411/AX211/AX210/AX201/AX200/9560/9462/9260/7265/3165 Wi-Fi UWD Driver - A50 - 80.58 MB - Recommended

Thereafter, when trying to continue development of my companion application, I find that _Timer_GetIdleTime() and  _WinAPI_GetIdleTime() are constantly being reset by something.

Using the "while loop" I don't ever get idle times above 16ms

While 1
    SplashTextOn("Test of idle timer. Shift-Esc to quit.", "This timer should go up if you do not touch anything." & @CRLF & @CRLF & _Timer_GetIdleTime(),-1,100)
     Sleep(1000)
WEnd

I've read several threads here about similar issues with windows 10 and some game controllers, but I am on windows 11 and have no game controllers.
After restarting I ran the "while loop" script on its own again and I unplugged my external dock/keyboard and mouse and still it persists at 0-16ms maximum idle.  In my short time looking, I couldn't find the appropriate devices to disable for the laptop keyboard and track pad.   So I tried disabling the bluetooth, realtek audio and card reader, and the wifi devices that recieved updates today, but no change. Being a work computer I can't really roll back any of these updates easily as some things are "managed by your organization".

I tired the "while loop" script on a different PC, which worked so I suspect its something from today's updates that I can't readily fix.  So that brings me to looking for a programmatic alternative.

1. Does anybody know of a tool to help diagnose what driver/service/app might be resetting the idle time?
  2. I can monitor mouse position easy enough, but Is there another way (UDF) to achieve the "get idle time" for keyboard with out going down the road of forbidden topics?

1 hour ago, Humanzee said:

for keyboard with out going down the road of forbidden topics?

Nope. But is not a bad idea.

_Timer_GetIdleTime() is based on any input. A laser mouse may show movement, just because. A worn mouse pad may act the same way. A process may wake up the PC and it's reset. It's a pickle.

On monitor off ?, and check for that ?. Not flawless but may be a good indicator.

Edit: ..thinking about it, nowadays is unlikely that a user don't move the mouse. Going by mouse alone may be the solution.

Edited by argumentum
more

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

1 hour ago, argumentum said:

Going by mouse alone may be the solution.

I think more so that the keyboard idle time is needed.  The scenario is that the users will be filling out a form, not touching the mouse for more than the desired idle trigger, tabbing from field to field.  When they stop typing, I want the companion search to run and produce info they need relevant to the task.  E.g. For near real time error & omission checking, fact finding, historical records etc.  Mousing about, doesn't hurt this but isn't necessary either.

Thinking about it, I already read the whole screen and compare it to the prior values for reading the whole screen.  Perhaps I could make a loop counter that would behave as pseudo idle timer.  e.g. after 100 loops where current screen values = prior screen values,  then run the queries.  The threshold for count of loops could be adjusted until the timing seems right.   In lieu of a working idle timer, I think this could be workable. 

1 hour ago, argumentum said:

On monitor off ?, and check for that ?. Not flawless but may be a good indicator.

Incidentally, I went and ate dinner after my original post, and the PC was not sleeping and monitors were on when I came back nearly 4 hours later.   I think maybe this not idling issue is preventing that.   

As per above, I need like 1-2 second keyboard idle time, not 10 minutes etc.  Just long enough not to bombard the database server with incomplete query parameters.