Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CyberSlug

Passing Data Between Many Guis

3 posts in this topic

I am working on this new version of AutoBuilder among other things.

I need to use multiple GUIs and pass data among them. However, EnvSet will not work because the variableis only be accessible to programs that AutoIt spawns. I need to pass data both directions.

What is the best way to transfer a few hundred bytes between two GUIs every few hundred milliseconds? ControlGetText? ClipPut? Other?

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Are both GUI's to be visible at the same time? Is it possible to live without both GUI's being visible at the same time? If so, I have a few suggestions, but otherwise, something like a pipe would probably be best, except for the small fact that AutoIt can't open pipes for communication.

Edit: I guess my point was, what exactly are you trying to do. If I had a better idea about that, I might have a better idea how to achieve it.

Edited by Valik

The download link should help give an example--but I might scrap the design entirely. ControlGetText (or ControlCommand) work okay for my needs, but can really consume a lot of CPU time to work efficiently when I have a lot of controls to scan.

And, yes, pipes would be great if they were supported.

Could EnvGet/EnvSet be modified so that any environment variables set by the child app are visible to the parent (thus allowing two-way communication)?

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!