Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cppman

NUL

15 posts in this topic

okay, i just made a script, it is 20KB.

I saved it, but right after I saved it, my comptuer restarted...

Now when i go to open it, I get a bunch of little squares that say, "NUL"....

Could someone open up my script, and see if it works for them?

the au3 file shows blank... nothing there ( it does show the size )

Strange

8)

NEWHeader1.png

awww. i opened it in notepad, and it is like 100 blank lines... :o

Got any backups, or any temporary files (Microsoft Word saves a copy when you open it...)? I think you might have lost that one.

damn! no, i did'nt back it up, i was writing it in ScIte Editor... i was about to back ip up to... their is no way to fix it?

Doesn't seem like it. Sounds like you computer restarted during the write process, which means that it's gone.

But i also, saved it before. cuz i save my files after almost every line i write. Why would it all be gone?

Well... how would Scite write to a file... it can't just append data, because you can edit stuff in the middle. It obviously can't open it in read-only, because then you couldn't edit it. The only option left is that it clears it when it writes, and then writes everything in Scite into the fresh file. So therefore, when you interrupt that writing, you get nothing. Why that would lead to many lines of NULs, I'm not exactly sure, because I'm really not sure that's how the file is written. That's just what I came up with.

oo. i see, i did'nt think about that. that really sucks! well, thanks for the replys..

Good luck with the script in that case. Sorry you had to lose something that big (20 kb is not a tiny script).

i always save as

file1

file2

file3

and if something goes wrong on file4... i just re-start with file3

8)

NEWHeader1.png

yeah... well, i guess i learned my lesson.... lol. i gotta start backing up my scripts like u suggested... thx people.

Now when i go to open it, I get a bunch of little squares that say, "NUL"....

This sounds like memory corruption. You'r harddrive could be on its last months... If it starts making clicking noises, then you should consider backing up everything, because then its not far away from dying... Just a thought :o

#14 ·  Posted (edited)

i always save as

file1

file2

file3

and if something goes wrong on file4... i just re-start with file3

8)

-or- add this option to your SciTeUser.properties file to automatically create x bak files of your updated script:

backup.files=3

Edited by JdeB

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions        Beta files                                                          Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

This sounds like memory corruption. You'r harddrive could be on its last months... If it starts making clicking noises, then you should consider backing up everything, because then its not far away from dying... Just a thought :o

...? nah, i don't think so... Its just like GreenMachine said, it did'nt finish writing before my computer restarted. and my computer has been doing it almost since i got it.

JdeB > Cool, i did'nt know about that. thanks