Unusual problem.....

I've written a nifty little script and have 7 users testing it. The script works flawlessly for 6 of the users (BTW--the users are not local). The 7th user gets this error:

"The requested action with this object has failed"

I'll set up the scenario:

- the script creates a GUI

- user completes some fields

- user clicks "Start" and the script opens an IE window using _IECreate()

The thing is, the user will get the error randomly. Sometimes the error will occur as soon as she starts my script, other times it will be when she clicks "Start", other times it will be in the middle of the process that runs once the program is doing its' thing.

None of the other users are having this problem, and they have used the script FAR more than the user with the problem. I cannot replicate the error, and I have run the script at least a thousand times. She gets the error EVERY TIME she runs the script.

Of the things I have checked, these things are common amongst all of the users:

- Windows XP SP2

- IE v6 (though sometimes she gets the error before I call IE)

The only thing that is different is that she is running an AMD processor. My other testers are running Pentiums.

Any ideas?

Edited by LovinItAll

Unfortunately, it won't do any good to post the entire script. It requires a certain type of account at an existing web site, and within that account the user must have existing customers. I will try to find a site that will accept similar input and modify the script for testing on your AMD. Than you very much for offering. I will get on it right away.

could you post your script?

when i'm at home i can give it a try (AMD)

helping is easier as well if you post it

• Moderators

Unfortunately, it won't do any good to post the entire script. It requires a certain type of account at an existing web site, and within that account the user must have existing customers. I will try to find a site that will accept similar input and modify the script for testing on your AMD. Than you very much for offering. I will get on it right away.

I wouldn't modify it at all! That would defeat the whole reason behind testing it. The script should still run even if we don't have an account. If it sometimes errors as soon as you start it, then we should still be able to test.

A similar issue has been reported a few tines before, but no one has ever been able to help reproduce or narrow down the the cause.

I have had a few suspicions, but have never been able to substantiate them. If this is occurring regularly you may be able to help get to the bottom of it. My strongest suspicion is a timing issue involving the initial instantiation of the browser window.

The first thing to try is to edit the script and right after the

$oIE = _IECreate()
add
_IELoadWait($oIE)

The next step if this does not fix it will be to make some small mods to the the loadwait routine.

Dale

Edit: typos

Edited by DaleHohm

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Here is the GUI. The user sometimes (but not always) gets the error as soon as she clicks on the .exe. Compile using Beta Compile for testing.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <IE.au3>
;---Sets various options
opt("WinWaitDelay", 100)
opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 4)
opt("WinDetectHiddenText", 1)
opt("MouseCoordMode", 0)
opt("SendKeyDelay", 1)
;HotKeySet("^!x", "Exit") ;---Set Exit method

;---Declare and assign version
Dim $Version = "Ver 1.0 Beta"

;---Declare and assign License variable
Dim $License = "Unassigned"

;----Declare variable for test mode
Dim $Test = "F"

;----Declare variables for user input in GUI
Dim $Subject
Dim $Body
Dim $Password
Dim $Exit
Dim $SendMailButton
Dim $TestMailButton
Dim $SubjectInput
dim $MailInput

Dim $o_IE ;---The IE Window object we are operating within

;MainScreen()
;==========Begin Main GUI========================
;Func MainScreen()
$MailHandler = GUICreate("Mail Handler- " & $Version & " - Licensed to: " & $License & " - MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED IN ANY WAY! ", 1016, 734, 193, 115)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Complete the fields below. All Fields Are REQUIRED!", 120, 8, 253, 17)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Subject:", 23, 123, 43, 17)
$SubjectInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 80, 120, 409, 21, -1, BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE))
GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 576, 176, 4, 4)
$MailInput = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 80, 152, 409, 512, $ES_NOHIDESEL, BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE))
GUICtrlSetData($MailInput, "")
GUICtrlCreateLabel("________________________________________________________________________________", 8, 58, 484, 17)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("NOTE: You may use any valid HTML code in the body of the mail to be sent.", 8, 80, 484, 17)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800, 0, "Times New Roman")
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0x000080)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Mail Body:", 14, 154, 53, 17)
$TestMailButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test Mode", 35, 679, 128, 41)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 800, 0, "Times New Roman")
$SendMailButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Send Mail", 200, 679, 129, 41)
$Exit = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit", 374, 679, 129, 41)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 704, 48, 4, 4)
$Instructions = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 536, 16, 441, 273, BitOR($ES_READONLY, $WS_BORDER), BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE))
GUICtrlSetData($Instructions, "A bunch of user instructions")
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "Times New Roman")
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
;EndFunc
;========================================End Main GUI
;-------Start interface and wait for input
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ;---User clicks the X to close the window
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $Exit ;---User clicks the Exit Button
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $SendMailButton;----User clicks the Send Mail button
        ;Main()
            Exit
        Case $msg = $TestMailButton;----User clicks the Test Mail button
            $Test = "T"
        ;Main()
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

Dale,

I have implemented _IELoadWait() functions througout the script, as I thought this might be a problem with the script executing before $oIE had a chance to fully load. The fact that the user gets the error as soon as she clicks the .exe is what is baffling. I have even put the basic sleep(5000) to make SURE the page has loaded before attempting to grab elements within the object. Doesn't seem to matter. All of the other users report zero problems, and I cannot get my script to crash under any circumstances. I thought maybe there was a possibility that an IE setup option was causing the prob, but that still does not explain the error she gets before _IECreate is even called!

A similar issue has been reported a few tines before, but no one has ever been able to help reproduce or narrow down the the cause.

I have had a few suspicions, but have never been able to substantiate them. If this is occurring regularly you may be able to help get to the bottom of it. My strongest suspicion is a timing issue involving the initial instantiation of the browser window.

The first thing to try is to edit the script and right after the

$oIE = _IECreate()
add
_IELoadWait($oIE)

The next step if this does not fix it will be to make some small mods to the the loadwait routine.

Dale

Edit: typos

Edited by LovinItAll

Dale,

I also read your post on trapping these errors, though I am not entirely clear on this:

a UDF provider must carefully manage removal of a user handler, activation of a custom handler, removal of the custom handler and reinstatement of the user handler whenever the UDF requires it.

In my case, I would have to poll for the error throughout the script. I'm working on it :o

Dale,

I also read your post on trapping these errors, though I am not entirely clear on this:

In my case, I would have to poll for the error throughout the script. I'm working on it :o

The comments about removing and installing a custom error handler won't apply -- this has to do with my implementing one in IE.au3 and having to be careful not to trounce on one that you are using. You are free to add one without worry.

Take a look in the beta docs under ObjEvent to find an example of how to add a COM error handler.

You can also use the SciTe Tools -> Add Trace Lines function to trace from whence the error occurs.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

I have made some changes for users of this forum to try and duplicate the above mentioned error. I gave this to the user I have that is receiving the error, and she gets the error (sometimes) under the following circumstances:

- When the .exe launches (She always launches the .exe and does not have the source)

- After she hits the "Test Mode" or "Send" button

Password for Hotmail is ScriptMe

She does not get the error every time. While on the phone with her, she received the error about 20% of the time. I changed $Delay to several values, with the largest being 5000 (5 seconds).

#include <IE.au3>
;---Sets various options
opt("WinWaitDelay", 100)
opt("MouseCoordMode", 0)
opt("SendKeyDelay", 1)
;HotKeySet("^!x", "Exit");---Set Exit method
Dim $License = "AutoItUser@hotmail.com"
Dim $Test = "F"
Dim $Subject
Dim $Body
Dim $Password
Dim $Exit
Dim $SendMailButton
Dim $TestMailButton
Dim $SubjectInput
Dim $MailInput
Dim $o_IE;---The IE Window object we are operating within
Dim $Delay = 1000;---Sets delay for the _IELoadWait function
;MainScreen()
;Func MainScreen()
$MailHandler = GUICreate("Mail Handler- " & $Version & " - Licensed to: " & $License & " - MAY NOT BE DISTRIBUTED IN ANY WAY! ", 1016, 734, 193, 115)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Complete the fields below. All Fields Are REQUIRED!", 120, 8, 253, 17)
$SubjectInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 80, 120, 409, 21, -1, BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE))
$MailInput = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 80, 152, 409, 512, $ES_NOHIDESEL, BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE))
GUICtrlCreateLabel("________________________________________________________________________________", 8, 58, 484, 17)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("NOTE: You may use any valid HTML code in the body of the mail to be sent.", 8, 80, 484, 17)
$Instructions = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 536, 16, 441, 273, BitOR($ES_READONLY, $WS_BORDER), BitOR($WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE))
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
;EndFunc
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE;---User clicks the X to close the window
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $Exit;---User clicks the Exit Button
            ExitLoop
            Main()
            Exit
            $Test = "T"
            Main()
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit
;===================================================================================
Func Main()
    If $SubjectInput = "" Or $MailInput = "" Then;---Check to make sure all fields have input
        MsgBox(0, "Input Incomplete", "All fields have not been filled in. Please correct and retry")
        Return
    EndIf
    $o_IE = _IECreate ()
    _IENavigate ($o_IE, "http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033&id=2")
    _IELoadWait ($o_IE,$Delay)
    WinSetState("Sign", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
    $Password = InputBox("License Validation", "Please enter your Password:", "", "*")
    WinActivate("License Validation")
    $vMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $vMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE;---User clicks the X to close the window
            Exit;--Application exits
        Case $vMsg = 0;---Entry is valid
            WinActivate($o_IE)
            $o_SearchForm = _IEFormGetObjByName ($o_IE, "f1")
            $o_UserName = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($o_SearchForm, "login")
            $o_Password = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($o_SearchForm, "passwd")
            _IEFormElementSetValue ($o_UserName, $License)
            _IEFormElementSetValue ($o_Password, $Password)
            Send("{ENTER}")
        Case $vMsg = 1;----User clicks the Cancel button
            Exit
    EndSelect
EndFunc;==>Main

edited for typos -- and I forgot to put the password for Hotmail in the post!

Edited by LovinItAll

Please have the user run this code with debugging added. This will create a file with the trace output and COM error details. Change $DebugFileSpec to suit.

Please either post or PM me the results after a COM error.

Thanks!

Dale

#include <IE.au3>

;===== DEBUG CODE
#include <Date.au3>
Global $DebugFileSpec = "C:\LovinItAll\Au3Debug.txt"
$debugFile = FileOpen($DebugFileSpec, 10)
FileWriteLine($debugFile, @ScriptFullPath & @CRLF & "Current Time is: " & _NowTime() & @CRLF & @CRLF)
$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc")   ; Initialize a COM error handler
;=================

;---Sets various options
opt("WinWaitDelay", 100)
opt("MouseCoordMode", 0)
opt("SendKeyDelay", 1)
;HotKeySet("^!x", "Exit");---Set Exit method
Dim $License = "AutoItUser@hotmail.com"
Dim $Test = "F"
Dim $Subject
Dim $Body
Dim $Password
Dim $Exit
Dim $SendMailButton
Dim $TestMailButton
Dim $SubjectInput
Dim $MailInput
Dim $o_IE;---The IE Window object we are operating within
Dim $Delay = 1000 ;---Sets delay for the _IELoadWait function
;MainScreen()
;Func MainScreen()
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
;EndFunc
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE;---User clicks the X to close the window
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $Exit;---User clicks the Exit Button
            ExitLoop
            Main()
            Exit
            $Test = "T"
            Main()
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit
;===================================================================================
Func Main()
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(78) :       If $SubjectInput = "" Or $MailInput = "" Then;---Check to make sure all fields have input'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    If $SubjectInput = "" Or $MailInput = "" Then;---Check to make sure all fields have input
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(80) :           MsgBox(0, "Input Incomplete", "All fields have not been filled in. Please correct and retry")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
        MsgBox(0, "Input Incomplete", "All fields have not been filled in. Please correct and retry")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(82) :           Return'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
        Return
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(84) :       EndIf'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    EndIf
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(86) :       $o_IE = _IECreate ()'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    $o_IE = _IECreate ()
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(88) :       _IENavigate ($o_IE, "http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?lc=1033&id=2")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(90) :       _IELoadWait ($o_IE,$Delay)'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(92) :       WinSetState("Sign", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    WinSetState("Sign", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(94) :       $Password = InputBox("License Validation", "Please enter your Password:", "", "*")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    $Password = InputBox("License Validation", "Please enter your Password:", "", "*")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(96) :       WinActivate("License Validation")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    WinActivate("License Validation")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(98) :       $vMsg = GUIGetMsg()'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    $vMsg = GUIGetMsg()
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(100) :      Select'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
    Select
        Case $vMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE;---User clicks the X to close the window
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(104) :              Exit;--Application exits'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            Exit;--Application exits
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(106) :          Case $vMsg = 0;---Entry is valid'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
        Case $vMsg = 0;---Entry is valid
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(108) :              WinActivate($o_IE)'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            WinActivate($o_IE)
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(110) :              $o_SearchForm = _IEFormGetObjByName ($o_IE, "f1")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            $o_SearchForm = _IEFormGetObjByName ($o_IE, "f1")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(112) :              $o_UserName = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($o_SearchForm, "login")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            $o_UserName = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($o_SearchForm, "login")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(114) :              $o_Password = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($o_SearchForm, "passwd")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            $o_Password = _IEFormElementGetObjByName ($o_SearchForm, "passwd")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(116) :              _IEFormElementSetValue ($o_UserName, $License)'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            _IEFormElementSetValue ($o_UserName, $License)
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(118) :              _IEFormElementSetValue ($o_Password, $Password)'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            _IEFormElementSetValue ($o_Password, $Password)
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(120) :              Send("{ENTER}")'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            Send("{ENTER}")
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(122) :          Case $vMsg = 1;----User clicks the Cancel button'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
        Case $vMsg = 1;----User clicks the Cancel button
                                                                    FileWrite($debugFile, '>Error code: ' & @error &  @CRLF & @CRLF & '@@ Trace(124) :              Exit'  &  @CRLF);### Trace Console
            Exit
    EndSelect
EndFunc ;==>Main

;=============== This is my custom defined COM error handler
Func MyErrFunc()
    $HexNumber=hex($oMyError.number,8)   ; for displaying purposes
    FileWrite($debugFile, "We intercepted a COM Error !"       &  @CRLF & @CRLF  &  @CRLF & @CRLF & _
        "err.description is: "  & @TAB & $oMyError.description  &  @CRLF & @CRLF & _
            "err.number is: "        & @TAB & $HexNumber              &  @CRLF & @CRLF & _
            "err.scriptline is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.scriptline   &  @CRLF & @CRLF)
    MsgBox(0, "Error Encountered", "Application exiting, see " & $DebugFileSpec)
    Exit; Exit Script
Endfunc

Thank you, Dale. I also modified this:

$o_IE = _IECreate ()

To this:

$o_IE = _IECreate ()

I increased $Delay to 2000 in the script she is running and made certain any instance that might require _IELoadWait does indeed have it.

She is no longer getting the error, but if it pops up again, I will send her the trace file and report the results to you.

Thank you very much for your help ~ Lee

Thank you, Dale. I also modified this:

$o_IE = _IECreate ()

To this:

$o_IE = _IECreate ()

I increased $Delay to 2000 in the script she is running and made certain any instance that might require _IELoadWait does indeed have it.

She is no longer getting the error, but if it pops up again, I will send her the trace file and report the results to you.

Thank you very much for your help ~ Lee

Lee, one other thing to look for... I've seen strange results if there is a zombie IEXPLORE.EXE running on the system. You may want to have the person get out of all IE windows and kill IEXPLORE.EXE if there is still one on the system after all of the windows are gone.

Also, none of the SLEEPs or Delays should be necessary, so if you are feeling brave, please remove them all and see if the error reoccurs. I know you are hoping never to see it again, but I am hoping you do :-) -- I really want to get to the bottom of it so that I never have to answer the question again...

Dale

Dale

Dale,

I originally wrote the app without any sleep() functions and I only had _IELoadWait() where you identified the need (_IEClickLinkByText() was one of them, I think--but could be wrong).

The problem with the user that is having the problem is that not only is she impatient, but every time she gets an error I get an almost angry reply from her-- even though I gave her the script for free! She was supposed to be part of a test group, but I don't think she understands that concept.

Maybe I just caught her on a bad day. After I made some minor changes and increased the delay times, she quit receiving the error. I will contact her and see if she would be willing to help trap the error with the earlier script. Some folks are just not "team players"......

Thank you again for your help. I understand your reasons for wanting this error trapped, and I will do what I can to help. This script is about to be in use by a lot of folks, so I'm sure the issue will present itself again.

Thanks again ~ Lee