Autoit Search Engine

AutoIt Search Engine

Description: A program that searches for files on your hard drive much like Explorer Search Companion. The difference is that this program does it so much faster than Explorer Search Companion.

Unlike Explorer Search Companion, AutoIt Search Engine does not have or do the following things:

• An annoying animated character that pisses you off (i disable mine as soon as i install the windows OS, but it still pisses me off).
  • Excessive graphics, animations (in addition to the character) and memory usage.
  • Integration with explorer so that it slows all file browsing on the computer while it is searching.
  • Perform searches that cause excessive hard drive usage while searching making you angry because all the programs on your computer are slowed(page/swap file). In addition to this you get mad at the fact that it is reducing the life of you hard drive by 50%.
  • Perform searches that are slow as hell.
  • A filesize > 250KB
If you are thrilled with any of those features, this program might not be for you.

Here is what it looks like:

Posted Image

Search Interface:

Posted Image

Small Index Dialogue:

Posted Image

I hope it catches your interest. The next version will have command line support so that you can schedule index times.

Note:

You may want to put the .exe in a directory such as:

%homedrive%\Program Files\Search Engine\Search Engine.exe

It treats the current folder it is in as a program files folder and clutters it with index, help, and updater files.

Note, the Search Engine has a built-in auto-update feature. For those dial-up users out there, i apologize because when the program is closed it checks to see if there is an update for the actual updater. If there is, it silently downloads it and then replaces the old one with the new one. I didn't think that it would be a problem though because the updater is only 188KB. The update for the actual Search Engine itself does ask you if you would like to update and has a cool download progress dialogue. :)

The DOS Indexing Engine was designed by Randallc.

Any comments on it would be appreciated.

Download includes compiled exe and all source files.

AutoItSearchEnginev1.5.1.9b10.zip

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

Thanks, glad you like it. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, comments, etc? I see there have been 42 downloads as of this posting but only one reply. Any feedback is appreciated, even if it is just a sentence.

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

HAHAHH brilliant :) works great, im guessing you didnt get the registry button to work

mabye make an installer

and autoindex on the first run,

and an option to reindex every day in the background/ on startup

search for folder names as well not just file names

search for hidden files as well, just like a checkbox to include the hidden files in the search

Edited by thatsgreat2345

mabye make an installer

Yeah, i did make a setup.

You can get a setup here. Please note that the setup is just a basic thing i created. It doesn't register the Search Engine in Add/Remove Programs. It also doesn't have an uninstaller. To remove, simply go to the location where you installed it and press the delete key. Then go to the start menu and delete the shortcuts off the start menu.

and autoindex on the first run

Ok, will do

option to reindex every day in the background/ on startup

I am going to allow the user to do this using commands. The user would then simply need to go to scheduled tasks and add a new job with the correct parameters. I could also make a button that sets up a job.

search for folder names as well not just file names

Inititally i didn't want to do this because folders just get in the way when i do searches. Though i guess there are those few searches where i am looking for a specific folder, but it is very rare.

hidden files as well, just like a checkbox to include the hidden files in the search

This can be easily implimented using Randallc's indexing engine. I will see what i can do.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks guys. I haven't put out any updates on this, but that doesn't mean I haven't been updating it. The newest version I am working on is actually 2.0.1.0, which is much faster. It supports command lines, uses a dll, and can search through about 600,000 files in about 10 - 15 seconds. If there is further interest in this, I will release my much improved version that for the time I have been using myself since I hate the windows explorer search companion when trying to locate a file that is somewhere on a certain hard drive or somewhere on my computer.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

EDIT

I would also like to point out that the newer version that i am working on searches for folder names as well now. ;-)

Edited by The Kandie Man

Thanks guys. I haven't put out any updates on this, but that doesn't mean I haven't been updating it. The newest version I am working on is actually 2.0.1.0, which is much faster. It supports command lines, uses a dll, and can search through about 600,000 files in about 10 - 15 seconds. If there is further interest in this, I will release my much improved version that for the time I have been using myself since I hate the windows explorer search companion when trying to locate a file that is somewhere on a certain hard drive or somewhere on my computer.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

EDIT

I would also like to point out that the newer version that i am working on searches for folder names as well now. ;-)

Surprised me there, thought for sure this was finito... i'd be interested to see the new one!

Surprised me there, thought for sure this was finito... i'd be interested to see the new one!

Nah, I have been working on it on and off for over a year. I have created several versions and I even wrote one with an engine in c++, but then i decided that it was just easier to use a dynamic link library. As a result, I re-wrote it in FreeBasic and changed the indexing engine back to the original dir.exe.

Yes, please realease it to us.

Well, ok. I guess I could work on releasing it, maybe sometime in June when I am not so busy and have more time to port it to a release.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is old topic but I need this :D

I get error when indexing....

where is the error?

and did he ever release the new version? that was last year he was planning on it.

I'm guessing becouse of the age of the script and the fact noone else has got an error that autoit has changed a function, if you locate the problematic function or three, then search the includes folder for it, if you come up with an entry, have a look for something like this: (From GUIListBox.au3)

; =================================================================================
; depricated functions will no longer work
; ==================================================================================================
; #OLD_FUNCTIONS#================================================================
; Old Function/Name                  ; --> New Function/Name/Replacement(s)
; ============================================================================
;_GUICtrlListAddDir                   ; --> _GUICtrlListBox_Dir

this shows depreciated function, replace ones on the left with ones on the right.

• 10 months later...