Mounting Unc's To Local Folders

In *NIX, when you mount things they are accessible as a local path, such as /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/somedrive. Admittedly, I have never tried and don't know if you can mount NFS shares in a similar fashion or maybe even FTP connections the same way. I know on a Mac you can mount an FTP to a local path like this, and I'm sure it's probably not a Mac-specific thing, but I don't know.

I'm curious if anyone's found a way to do this in Windows. For instance, mapping \\server\share1 to C:\share1 or \\myserver\share2\folder1\folder2\folder3 to C:\share3. Or maybe even use the FTP functions that IE offers where you can interact with an FTP with a Windows Explorer interface to mount that FTP as a folder on a local drive, such as ftp://username:password@server/folder1/folder2/ mapped to C:\folder2 or something.

It seems to me that one or both of these might be possible since Windows can mount drive letters to UNC's, it might be possible to "trick" it into allowing you to then edit the mount points for that and create on on a fixed drive.

Thoughts?

Edited by c0deWorm

My UDFs: ExitCodes

I think if you go to "My network places" and click "add a network place" this kinda of does that....It's maybe more like a shortcut but i dont know how windows interfaces with it exactly becuase it's not the same thing as just making a shortcut to a network location.

Edited by evilertoaster

I think if you go to "My network places" and click "add a network place" this kinda of does that....It's maybe more like a shortcut but i dont know how windows interfaces with it exactly becuase it's not the same thing as just making a shortcut to a network location.

Yeah, I'm aware of that method, but all that really does is remember the connection for later, or in the case of SharePoint, allow you file access behind the scenes of the SP web interface. It's very useful for SP, but otherwise I find it useless.

It doesn't offer anything for scripting that I've seen.

i dont know if this can be done with autoit or not but here is a handy util that will do it for you

http://www.southrivertech.com/download/index.html

Wow, I actually did test this years ago and had completely forgotten it. I'd love to figure out how it does it and find a way to do it in AutoIt. I'm sure they're using their own DLL for it, so who knows how it's done.