How To Click Ok To A Windows Xp Login Legal Notice?

Hello all,

>How do I click OK before booting into windows?<

I don't know if many if any of you have seen this feature of Windows XP but it's pissing me off.

I run a small test lab and a couple of the new computer Images that I test on have these Legal notice popup message after you hit C+A+D but before you are prompted for the UserName and password.

Normally I have my test images set to auto login with username and password filled into the registry DefaultUserName and DefaultPassword and of course set the AutoAdminLogon = 1.

With this new Legal notice it won't auto login. I have to get up off my butt, walk over to the PC, and hit ENTER to have my testing continue.

Now for the answer to the obvious questions.

Q. Why don't you just disable it?

A. Because who knows, next week or in a year or two Microsoft might release a patch that will somehow disable or interfere with that feature and I will need to know about it.

For any who would like to play this should create the registry settings for the Legal notice. After applying just reboot and you will see what I'm talking about.

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "LegalNoticeCaption", "REG_SZ", "WARNING! FOR AUTHORIZED USERS ONLY")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "LegalNoticeText", "REG_SZ", "Use of this computer system is limited for authorized users, bla, bla, bla")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "LogonPrompt", "REG_SZ", "Use of this computer system is limited for authorized users, bla, bla, bla")
RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon", "Welcome", "REG_SZ", "AUTHORIZED USERS ONLY")

So, anybody got any ideas on how to hit Enter when that screen shows up? I have written several different scripts, compiled them, and loaded them as a service using the Instsrv.exe. but none of them seem to be able to see the legal window to click OK or hit Enter...

Thanks,

Mike

...With this new Legal notice it won't auto login. I have to get up off my butt, walk over to the PC, and hit ENTER to have my testing continue.

VNC - set to not lock the system when you disconnect. It still requires you, but you can stay on your........... :-)

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

...Normally I have my test images set to auto login with username and password filled into the registry DefaultUserName and DefaultPassword and of course set the AutoAdminLogon = 1.

[snipped]

Now for the answer to the obvious questions.

Q. Why don't you just disable it?

A. Because who knows, next week or in a year or two Microsoft might release a patch that will somehow disable or interfere with that feature and I will need to know about it...

Okay, I just have to mention that using DefaultUserName and DefaultPassword and the AutoAdminLogon = 1 might also hide a problem that you need to know about.

Seriously, are you still using a setup like you mentioned here?

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...showtopic=10502

Can you dedicate one system (call it LNServer) on the VLAN for managing the others with the Legal Notice (call them LNClients)?

If yes, then you could be replaced by VNC and a few AutoIt scripts. If no, then I've just wasted a lot of time, testing and typing.

When an LNClient reboots, your script (running as a service on the LNClient) sends a message to the LNServer which in turn fires up VNC to click the Legal Notice... If you don't want to use TCP or e-mail to communicate between systems/scripts, then just have the LNClient script create a file on the LNServer when the LNClient boots. Have the script on the LNServer check for the presence of that file as often as you wish. The filename IDs the LNClient that needs to be VNC'd.

You'll have to guess at the timing - I don't think that AutoIt will be able to "see" windows (not even via PixelSearch) in the VNC screen... but it can see the VNC window itself and click relative to that window.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]