Need Help

1. Create a variable (or string)

$var = ""

2. Prompt the user to type in a Serial Number. But if the user wants to exit, then the end the script. But if they want to continue to be able to. {Address this later or did you mean this as part of step 3.}

$var = InputBox("....

3. Verify if [a file with] that serial number [as part of the name] exist, if exist to prompt to over-write or to continue if it does not exist.

If FileExists("V:" & "\" & $var & ".log") Then......
{Let's say that the file did not exist, the script will continue to step 4.}

4. Take the serial number and create a file either .log or .txtr with that serial number.

$file = FileOpen("V:" & "\" & ($var) & ".log", 2)
FileClose($file)
{Okay, so at this point, the script has created a file - but it is empty - nothing to print.}

5. Then find the file and either open it with a notepad application, or send it directly to the printer.

$print = _FilePrint("V:" & "\" & $var & ".log")
If $print Then
    MsgBox(0, "Print", "The file was printed.")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "Print", "Error: " & @error & @CRLF & "The file was not printed.")
EndIf
{It does not use Notepad - but it was the direction other members pointed you in. I've never used the UDF named _FilePrint and cannot test it right now. If you really want to use Notepad - (that will at least give you a page with the file title on it & file title contains serial number) ...if you want to do that, then post back and others can help with that.}

Add the FileClose($file) and the code below step 5 to the other code that I posted and see if it works as you desire.

I did not mean to criticize... just question.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Don't worry about it. Everything is good.

Now,

The _FilePrint does not work. It gives me the following error: Error: _FilePrit () : undefined fucntion.

Any ideas. Let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Take care.

1. Create a variable (or string)

$var = ""

2. Prompt the user to type in a Serial Number. But if the user wants to exit, then the end the script. But if they want to continue to be able to. {Address this later or did you mean this as part of step 3.}

$var = InputBox("....

3. Verify if [a file with] that serial number [as part of the name] exist, if exist to prompt to over-write or to continue if it does not exist.

If FileExists("V:" & "\" & $var & ".log") Then......
{Let's say that the file did not exist, the script will continue to step 4.}

4. Take the serial number and create a file either .log or .txtr with that serial number.

$file = FileOpen("V:" & "\" & ($var) & ".log", 2)
FileClose($file)
{Okay, so at this point, the script has created a file - but it is empty - nothing to print.}

5. Then find the file and either open it with a notepad application, or send it directly to the printer.

$print = _FilePrint("V:" & "\" & $var & ".log")
If $print Then
    MsgBox(0, "Print", "The file was printed.")
Else
    MsgBox(0, "Print", "Error: " & @error & @CRLF & "The file was not printed.")
EndIf
{It does not use Notepad - but it was the direction other members pointed you in. I've never used the UDF named _FilePrint and cannot test it right now. If you really want to use Notepad - (that will at least give you a page with the file title on it & file title contains serial number) ...if you want to do that, then post back and others can help with that.}

Add the FileClose($file) and the code below step 5 to the other code that I posted and see if it works as you desire.

I did not mean to criticize... just question.

• Moderators

You spelled _FilePrint() as _FilePrit() (forgot the 'n')

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

In the script the command is typed correctly. I was just typing the error message from the status window.

Don't worry about it. Everything is good.

Now,

The _FilePrint does not work. It gives me the following error: Error: _FilePrit () : undefined fucntion.

Any ideas. Let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Take care.

...I was just typing...

Copy and paste when you can. Use the AutoIt Window Info tool if need be.

@Others,

I'm not in a place where I can check, but is this fileprint UDF only in beta? (The system that I'm on has beta and production includes mixed up.)

Edit:

;===============================================================================
; Function Name:   _FilePrint()
; Description:   Prints a plain text file.
; Syntax:         _FilePrint ( $s_File [, $i_Show] )
;
; Parameter(s): $s_File  = The file to print.
;                 $i_Show    = The state of the window. (default = @SW_HIDE)
;
; Requirement(s):  External:   = shell32.dll (it's already in system32).
;                 Internal:   = None.
;
; Return Value(s): On Success: = Returns 1.
;                 On Failure: = Returns 0 and sets @error according to the global constants list.
;
; Author(s):       erifash <erifash [at] gmail [dot] com>
;
; Note(s):       Uses the ShellExecute function of shell32.dll.
;
; Example(s):
;   _FilePrint("C:\file.txt")
;===============================================================================
Func _FilePrint($s_File, $i_Show = @SW_HIDE)
    Local $a_Ret = DllCall("shell32.dll", "long", "ShellExecute", _
            "hwnd", 0, _
            "string", "print", _
            "string", $s_File, _
            "string", "", _
            "string", "", _
            "int", $i_Show)
    If $a_Ret[0] > 32 And Not @error Then
        Return 1
    Else
        SetError($a_Ret[0])
        Return 0
    EndIf
EndFunc ;==>_FilePrint
include that near the bottom of your script

Edit2: If you include the func shown above, remove #include <file.au3> from the top part of your script.

Edited by herewasplato

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

I have tried the print function at home and it's working. It wouldn't work, but I notice that the $s_file was the wrong string. I changed it to $file and it worked. The final test will be done at work.

Everyone Thank you very much for putting up with and my crazy ideas and all the questions. I have learned so much and having a support group like this, is what makes someone proud and delighted.

Thank you all and have a great night. I need to merge two scripts and make it work. I will let you know how it goes.

Meetrix

Copy and paste when you can. Use the AutoIt Window Info tool if need be.

@Others,

I'm not in a place where I can check, but is this fileprint UDF only in beta? (The system that I'm on has beta and production includes mixed up.)

Edit:

; Function Name:   _FilePrint()
; Description:   Prints a plain text file.
; Syntax:         _FilePrint ( $s_File [, $i_Show] )
;
; Parameter(s): $s_File  = The file to print.
;                 $i_Show    = The state of the window. (default = @SW_HIDE)
;
; Requirement(s):  External:   = shell32.dll (it's already in system32).
;                 Internal:   = None.
;
; Return Value(s): On Success: = Returns 1.
;                 On Failure: = Returns 0 and sets @error according to the global constants list.
;
; Author(s):       erifash <erifash [at] gmail [dot] com>
;
; Note(s):       Uses the ShellExecute function of shell32.dll.
;
; Example(s):
;   _FilePrint("C:\file.txt")
Func _FilePrint($s_File, $i_Show = @SW_HIDE)
    Local $a_Ret = DllCall("shell32.dll", "long", "ShellExecute", _
            "hwnd", 0, _
            "string", "print", _
            "string", $s_File, _
            "string", "", _
            "string", "", _
            "int", $i_Show)
    If $a_Ret[0] > 32 And Not @error Then
        Return 1
    Else
        SetError($a_Ret[0])
        Return 0
    EndIf
EndFunc;==>_FilePrint
include that near the bottom of your script

Edit2: If you include the func shown above, remove #include <file.au3> from the top part of your script.