Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CyberSlug

Password Protected Folders

4 posts in this topic

Since people have asked for "password protected folders" in the past, you might be interested in

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboar...rum/153179.html

From the program's help file:

Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 is not intended to provide security against hackers. It is a utility that limits access to selected files by other people that you trust and share your computer with, such as at home with your family. Users must make sure they remember the password. Without the password, they cannot unlock the private folder and cannot access any of the files or folders it contains. Microsoft is not able to retrieve the lost files if users are unable to enter the correct password. Microsoft support professionals cannot assist, under any circumstances, in the breaking of passwords applied to files and features within Microsoft programs.

Selected notes from the help file and observations (to save you from going to trouble of installing):

- Only Administrators can install this utility.

- Supports Windows XP Home, Professional and Media Center Edition (32bit).

- Supports NTFS and FAT32 system partitions.

- Download of installer requires "Windows Genuine Advantage" ...

- Installation requires reboot

- Every user can create a own private folder in his/her account. The private folder is called My Private Folder. Similar to My Documents, it has a shortcut [optional] on the Desktop, and its real path is under the current account folder, like C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name

- The password must consist of only letters (a-z and A-Z) and numbers (0-9). The length must be 6-16 characters, and must be entered directly by the user and not pasted.  

- There is a password strength indicator (low, middle, high). The password "password" ranks middle :D

- In Windows Explorer, when double clicking the My Private Folder icon or selecting Open in the tray menu, you will be asked to enter the password. After correctly entering the password, My Private Folder will be unlocked and opened. If the password is entered incorrectly, the private folder will not be unlocked. You must enter the password again.

- You cannot unlock My Private Folder from the command line.

- A tray icon appears when folder is unlocked

- Export Encrypted Files: export files or folders to another location for transfer, backup, or other reason. The exported files are encrypted and will not be protected by the private folder. You must remember the current password to import the files later.

- Idle time Before Auto-Lock minutes: 3 5(default) 10 20 30 60 never

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi cyberslug is this no different then whats already built into windows xp??

Posted Image

Edited by WTS

Microsoft would not bother to make this program if XP alreay had this feature--and I would not post about it unless it were different :D

However, I'd like to add some more info now that I've tired it out:

- The password change feature locked up 2 of 2 computers I tried it on.

- The "Exported encrypted files" differ from the raw encrypted files. If HDD crashes and you can only recover the raw encrypted files (via GetDataBack on BartPE or similar), I don't know how they could be resotred.

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

Cyberslug... I'm pretty sure this is the wrong forum for this topic.

It would go better here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

Hi cyberslug is this no different then whats already built into windows xp??

Posted Image

That is completely different. Sharing folders allows users to access the files in it over the network.

"Making it private" only allows remote access with valid logon credentials from that computer (IE your windows username and password).

This tool allows for password protection of a folder and all files therein with a new password you pick. It can be different from your windows password. It also has nothing to do with networking... the files in there are not shared with the network (at least by default).

Edited by The_Mega_ZZTer