How to handle a fork in the road

Alright, I have completed this script, and it works, but I know you guys could think of a better way to have handle this. When I run the setup for an add-in for Excel, if they already have a previous version of Excel, it initates the uninstall program for it, and then exits. If they do not have a version installed, it begins the install routine. Here's what I did:

$test = WinWait( "Confirm File Deletion", "Do you want", 30 )

If $test = 1 Then
    removeprevious()
ElseIf $test = 0 Then
    installnewone()
EndIf

And I created functions for removing the old one and installing the new one. At the end of the uninstall, I have a short sleep and then I have it run the installnewone function. This works, and works just fine, but doing the $test seems kinda...cheap? How would you have handled this differently/better?

TIA

Guest Guest

Larry thanks for your reply. Can you quickly explain how AutoIt handles an "If WinWait" command. I have seen that used in other scripts, I just don't understand what your instructing AutoIt to do with that command. How do you "if wait" for a window? I was trying to get around the 30 second timeout if possible. I suppose I could do an "If WinExists Then blah" and "ElseIf WinExists blah". Now that I've thought about this I believe the "If WinWait" just means that if the the winwait succeeds in waiting for the window then do something. Is that correct?

WinWait just waits for a window to be active, and the last parameter specifies a 30 second timeout. By embedding WinWait in an If-then statement, he is checking the return value for success (1) or failure/timeout (0).

Larry's code is a condensed version of the following:

$retValue = WinWait( "Confirm File Deletion", "Do you want", 30 )
If $retValue = 1 Then
    removeprevious()
Else;the $retValue was zero
    installnewone()
EndIf
Edited by CyberSlug
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!