Search and delete all but

dufran3

I am trying to do something here...I am kind of new but have some idea of how this language works. I am attempting to search the start menu folder of the current user, and delete all but. This is where I am having trouble. I need ot be able to search a specific directory, and have it return all contents of the directory, including files and sub directories. And delete all but certain ones.

$start = @StartMenuDir

SearchKill($start)

Func SearchKill($searchkill)

If ($searchkill) <> "Accessories or Startup" And FileAttrib == Directory Then

DirRemove($searchkill)

If ($searchkill) <> "Accessories or Startup" and FileAttrib == File Then

FileRemove($searchkill)

Of course I have functions created for DirRemove and FileRemove....but the syntax of the rest of it isn't correct, anyone help me with this please?

Edited by dufran3

• Moderators

:P

Why would you want to access someone start menu folder and delete stuff?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

:P

Why would you want to access someone start menu folder and delete stuff?

I am deploying 30 - 40 new computers for a project at work, have scripts setup to install and customize some things, and this is one of the customization that I need to do for each computer.

• Moderators

I am deploying 30 - 40 new computers for a project at work, have scripts setup to install and customize some things, and this is one of the customization that I need to do for each computer.

Show the functions you are using for "FileRemove". I'm aware of FileDelete but not FileRemove.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

FileRemove is just a custom funtion I created that checks if the file exists before running the FileDelete Function that is built in. That, however, isn't relevant to my question...any one have any advice?

Edited by dufran3

I haven't tested this, for obvious reasons

#include <Constants.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>

$foo = Run(@ComSpec & " /c dir *.* /s /b", @UserProfileDir&"\Start Menu", @SW_HIDE, $STDOUT_CHILD)
$output = ""
While 1
    $output &= StdoutRead($foo)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
Wend
$aDir = stringsplit(StringStripWS($output,3),@crlf,1)

for $i = $aDir[0] to 1 step -1 ; go through them backwards
    $file = $aDir[$i]
    $attribs = FileGetAttrib ($file)
    if not stringinstr($file,"Accessories" and not stringinstr($file,"Startup") and stringinstr($attribs,"D") Then
        ;DirRemove($file) ; Really? That seems a little dangerous.
    EndIf
    if not stringinstr($file,"Accessories" and not stringinstr($file,"Startup") and not stringinstr($attribs,"D") Then
        ;FileDelete($file) ; I'm glad you're not running this on my box
    EndIf

next

[font="Fixedsys"][list][*]All of my AutoIt Example Scripts[*]http://saneasylum.com[/list][/font]

I haven't tested this, for obvious reasons

#include <Constants.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>

$foo = Run(@ComSpec & " /c dir *.* /s /b", @UserProfileDir&"\Start Menu", @SW_HIDE, $STDOUT_CHILD)
$output = ""
While 1
    $output &= StdoutRead($foo)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
Wend
$aDir = stringsplit(StringStripWS($output,3),@crlf,1)

for $i = $aDir[0] to 1 step -1 ; go through them backwards
    $file = $aDir[$i]
    $attribs = FileGetAttrib ($file)
    if not stringinstr($file,"Accessories" and not stringinstr($file,"Startup") and stringinstr($attribs,"D") Then
        ;DirRemove($file) ; Really? That seems a little dangerous.
    EndIf
    if not stringinstr($file,"Accessories" and not stringinstr($file,"Startup") and not stringinstr($attribs,"D") Then
        ;FileDelete($file) ; I'm glad you're not running this on my box
    EndIf

next

Thanks a bunch, a couple of things... you missed the ) after "Accessories", I added that in.

Getting errors for $STDOUT_CHILD, saying that it is an undeclared variable

H:**********\searchdir.au3(4,98) : WARNING: $STDOUT_CHILD: possibly used before declaration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

H:**********\searchdir.au3(4,98) : ERROR: Run() [built-in]called with wrong number of args.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

H:**********\searchdir.au3(4,98) : ERROR: $STDOUT_CHILD: undeclared global variable.

H:**********\searchdir.au3 - 2 error(s), 1 warning(s)

I really appreciate your help!!!

ARGG!!! Sorry, I didn't find that variable in the constants.au3 file because i had an older version of AutoIT3, i updated and it added the variable to the file!!!! THANKS!!!

Edited by dufran3