Another nOOb question...

Hmm... I'm trying to start 'thinking' in GUI terms. I made a small script to test a few GUI functions. If I double click the script it launches AutoIT 3 and does... well... nothing. Do all GUI scripts need to be ran by AutoIt3-gui.exe? At this time wouldn't AutoIt3.exe be able to execute them? :D

What version do you use?

The latest unstable autoit3-version (with gui ;-) ) can be found here:

http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3/files/unstable/autoit/

Could you paste your small script or a sample of it so we can see if there are any errors in it?

Regards Holger

Do all GUI scripts need to be ran by AutoIt3-gui.exe? At this time wouldn't AutoIt3.exe be able to execute them? :D

Edit: wasn't aware of the post above mine when I started composing. Oh well; better too much information than too little :huh2:

Version 3.0.101 does not support GUI functions. If you are using the latest beta to run or compile your script, the functions are there. Since your script ran, it was able to understand the GUI function calls, so it must be an error in your code (intent error, not syntax error.)

Edited by pekster

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

I have the latest unstable version ( I check almost everyday) and I was just starting the script, nothing yet, just this:

GUICreate("My GUI")
GUIWaitClose()

I see in task manager all it does is start AutoIt 3 and quickly leave it.

You need a GuiShow() call in there, otherwise it will not display your GUI. This should give you a blank GUI sized to whatever the defaults are with no controls in it:

GUICreate("My GUI")
GuiShow()
GUIWaitClose()

Same as your code, but with a GuiShow call in there.

Typo corrected

Edited by pekster

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

The documentation needs to be rectified as most examples do not include GuiShow ()

Requiring GuiShow was a recent change, and sometimes the documentation isn't updated right away since it is a beta version. I'm sure someone will fix it eventually.

In my free time I'm converting the help file to portuguese if anyone is interested. When such changes are put into the help file, I'll be glad to convert them too :D

Well, since I'm starting playing with windows, here's another question:

$WS_EX_TRANSPARENT

What's the purpose of this? When I move the window the contents get screwed. Also, $WS_EX_LAYERED. I read a bit about layered windows Googleing the net. This seems to be the 'new' way Windows 2000 and XP deal with transparency effects, mainly in Windows. I'd like to combine the above two styles to make a windows with a custom shape or even semi transparent. Is this possible in AutoIt 3?

In my free time I'm converting the help file to portuguese if anyone is interested. When such changes are put into the help file, I'll be glad to convert them too :D

Well, since I'm starting playing with windows, here's another question:

$WS_EX_TRANSPARENT

What's the purpose of this? When I move the window the contents get screwed. Also, $WS_EX_LAYERED. I read a bit about layered windows Googleing the net. This seems to be the 'new' way Windows 2000 and XP deal with transparency effects, mainly in Windows. I'd like to combine the above two styles to make a windows with a custom shape or even semi transparent. Is this possible in AutoIt 3?

Those styles are currently useless because they also require manipulation by another Windows function (SetLayeredWindowAttributes()) which is not exposed to AutoIt currently.