Web Page Load Completion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere above that the cursor changes to busy depending on what frame it is held over? If you truely need to wait until all frames have finished, you could move the mouse over the various frames with a short pause to detect the mouse state at each one. I know it's eaisier to use the keyboard, but I'm not sure you can reliably use the keyboard or window states to detect when it is finally done loading every frame.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere above that the cursor changes to busy depending on what frame it is held over?  If you truely need to wait until all frames have finished, you could move the mouse over the various frames with a short pause to detect the mouse state at each one.  I know it's eaisier to use the keyboard, but I'm not sure you can reliably use the keyboard or window states to detect when it is finally done loading every frame.

Very clever

Just using four quaderants should do it. Don't put a splashtext in the middle though

Rick

I'm pretty sure that won't work either, because you aren't guaranteed that they'll all load in the same order. If quadrant 3, 2, 4, 1 load, then it changes to 4, 1, 3, 2 how do you know which to mouse over first?

I'm pretty sure that won't work either, because you aren't guaranteed that they'll all load in the same order.  If quadrant 3, 2, 4, 1 load, then it changes to 4, 1, 3, 2 how do you know which to mouse over first?

You don't worry about the order you set it up so all for quadrents have the not have the wait mouse

Rick

Here goes the newbie again!

This has been troubling me as I also need to drive web pages manually..

In researching the problem I came upon this Great Article

that gives insight on the problem.. and why you just can't test the source to see if

all the html is down.

HOW A WEB PAGE LOADS

But.. although you can't use the arrival of end of html /HTML, seems to me you could use the info in it to find some unique text that will be at the end of the page once it does render and display! So couldn't you loop on a Ctrl F until you find it and take that as the end of load indicator?

I don't know enough about html to know how you find text at the end of each frame.

Comments?

tutor2000: Sorry, I have no idea what you just said ... can you rephrase it? :-)

jhbell: That was suggested before, but it seems rather painful to have to keep iterating through frames to find completion. That means for every page with 4 frames, you have to have a 4-element array to check for completion. This just increases as you have multiple pages.

tutor2000: Sorry, I have no idea what you just said ... can you rephrase it?  :-)

It works like this: you cycle through each of the 4 quadrants (or however many you need to wait for) by moving the mouse to each one. Once the mouse is there, you sleep for a very short amount of time to give the mouse pointer time to settle (50 ms is enough.) You test the quadrant, and move on to the next. You keep this process up until all 4 quadrants have the "normal" cursor. If any one of them has the busy cursor, you keep testing all 4 until they are normal. That way you are insured that each section has fully loaded.

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

There's no busy cursor when I tried it on my page, though. There are four frames, and as soon as one of the frames finishes loading, the mouse turns into the normal one, regardless of where it is or the status of the other frames.

There's no busy cursor when I tried it on my page, though.  There are four frames, and as soon as one of the frames finishes loading, the mouse turns into the normal one, regardless of where it is or the status of the other frames.

In the one spot where you teted, or in all 4 frames? I was pointing out that someone (I forget who now) said that each of the 4 frames had a cursor indicator indipendent of the other 3. So to test all 4 frames you need to move the mouse to each fram, and test the cursor type then. Only when all 4 are the same do you move on.

If this doesn't work for you, then it won't solve your problem. But it will solve it for whoever posted that they get different cursors over each quadrant.