AutoIt Icon formats

Inspired by this post in GUI...

What types of Icons does AutoIt like? Some work, some don't... How can we tell, besides attempting to compile with one?

BTW, FAQ #13 has a bad link in reference to this page about the compiler.

I checked the helpfile under "Compiling Scripts with Aut2Exe" but it only says that you can choose an icon, not the type required.

really just an idle question, since Icon's aern't a big deal to me, but it'd be good to have the info there in the helpfile.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

yet, if you try to create an icon by making a .bmp file and renaming it to .ico, which windows recognizes, it doesn't work. I've had other icons, one I extracted from an exe with some app (lost the app, just reloaded my pc) that AutoIt wouldn't recognize.

• Administrators

yet, if you try to create an icon by making a .bmp file and renaming it to .ico, which windows recognizes, it doesn't work.  I've had other icons, one I extracted from an exe with some app (lost the app, just reloaded my pc) that AutoIt wouldn't recognize.

A bmp and icon are not the same. There is common structure in the "picture" part of it but icons also have other information for things like multi format icons and resolution. Some programs may just read in the picture part (which sometimes happens to be in the same position in both a bmp and ico) but .ico <> .bmp - if you want to use a bmp as an icon you should paste it into a proper icon editor and save as a native .ico file.

@RocTx: Thanks, just grabbed that.

@Jon: Thanks, that's just the kind of explenation I was looking for. The other icon editor I'd been using must've done it the lazy way.