Scite Problem: no syntax highlighting

florisch

I have just installed the actual versions of autoit and Scite. But au3 files do not get handled correct.

What I have done:

as local administrator:

- uninstalled old scite

- uninstalled old autoit

- deleted the directory

- installed AutoIt (Other path than "program files". But this should not be the error?)

cutdown version of scite, syntax highlighting is working

- installed Scite (path of AutoIt was automatically found by the installer)

Well, now Scite is there with all the tools and stuff, but au3 ist shown as normal text. Shift-F12 does not change anything. Other languages work, changing to, e.g. Properties shows some (useless) syntax highlighting.

Whats wrong there? I uninstalled both and installed only AutoIt again, in order to work with the cutdown version, but I want to use some of the features of the full Scite version.

Edited by florisch

• Developers

I have just installed the actual versions of autoit and Scite. But au3 files do not get handled correct.

What I have done:

as local administrator:

- uninstalled old scite

- uninstalled old autoit

- deleted the directory

- installed AutoIt (Other path than "program files". But this should not be the error?)

cutdown version of scite, syntax highlighting is working

- installed Scite (path of AutoIt was automatically found by the installer)

Well, now Scite is there with all the tools and stuff, but au3 ist shown as normal text. Shift-F12 does not change anything. Other languages work, changing to, e.g. Properties shows some (useless) syntax highlighting.

Whats wrong there? I uninstalled both and installed only AutoIt again, in order to work with the cutdown version, but I want to use some of the features of the full Scite version.

Select in SciTE: Options/Open User options file. Check if it contains information and make it empty if there is anything ...(you can save it first with a different name)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Thanks for your help, but user option file is empty.

Besides, what can be there? I installed from scratch into a new directory, there was no old data. Scite lite works, full version does not.

I just discovered something:

Of course I am not working with an admin account. When I log in as admin, everything is working fine.

And another thing: .au3 is not recognized as an autoitscript when I'm not admin.

Well, I will try that: uninstall as admin and install as normal user. Lets see if I run into problems.

Oh, one more parameter which may be important in this problem: I am using a german WinXP

AutoIt cannot be installed without admin rights . . .

So I installed AutoIt as admin and Scite as normal user. Now Scite is working, with highlighting and all.

. . . seems like some installation configuration is done only for the installing user. But i dont know, Im no expert on that.

• Developers

AutoIt cannot be installed without admin rights . . .

So I installed AutoIt as admin and Scite as normal user. Now Scite is working, with highlighting and all.

. . . seems like some installation configuration is done only for the installing user. But i dont know, Im no expert on that.

The only User config part is the SciTEUser.properties which is stored in the Users appdata.

The only thing i can imagine is that there is a Rights issue when its installed as ADmin...

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 15 years later...

Wow, we are 16 years later, and the new version still doesn't highlight au3 files. 

When I install AutoIt (last version), it comes with SciTE 4.4.6 and au3 syntax highlighting works.
If I change the content of C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE by the latest version, 5.2.3, highlighting doesn't work.

It should not be related to admin rights as both old and new versions are stored in the same location, with the same rights.
In the new version, when I click on the Language menu, the displayed menu items does not show "au3" in the menu.
Also if I run SciTE.exe from anywhere else with full user rights (like on "Desktop"), same behavior.

With Process monitor, I see that the au3.properties file is opened.
So what can explain that highlighting doesn't work?

Edited by ElwoodB

Philippe
Amiga user

40 minutes ago, ElwoodB said:

If I change the content of C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE by the latest version, 5.2.3, highlighting doesn't work.

So what can explain that highlighting doesn't work?

5.2.3. is the latest version of the SciTE standard editor. However, you need a version adapted by @Jos for AutoIt, e.g. : SciTE4Autoit3

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• Developers
9 hours ago, ElwoodB said:

Wow, we are 16 years later, and the new version still doesn't highlight au3 files. 

mmm ok ...  great way to start your question .... but I am pretty sure it is you that is doing something wrong !

9 hours ago, ElwoodB said:

yep for sure it is you ...  Keep versions together as the new SciTE v 5.2.3 uses different Dll's since v5 has changed the way Lexers are integrated.
I have SciTE v 5.2.3 available to the MVPs and intent release it soon to all...

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 1 month later...

@Jos

I didn't want to be harsh but yes, it was badly worded, sorry 😞

Then why syntax highliting is not integrated by default? I have the impression that it's always better to make things easier for everyone, especially for newcomers.
So I am surprised it's not integrated 16 years later.

Philippe
Amiga user

• Developers
2 minutes ago, ElwoodB said:

Then why syntax highliting is not integrated by default? I have the impression that it's always better to make things easier for everyone, especially for newcomers.

When you simply use the installers, like any other none experienced user, you should not have any issues. ;) 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Ah yes, I used AutoIt Full Installation installer but then I probably selected the ZIP download because it says "(includes x86 and x64 components" so I thought it was better than the installer one 😞.

BTW, when running the editor (from Full Installation) for the first time, it says msvcp140.dll is missing. I suggest that installer would check if the MSVC runtimes are installed. It could then warn the user.

Philippe
Amiga user