Is there such a thing as a Shutdown signal?

JerryD

Hi,

I'm using a nifty little menu program called PStart (http://www.pegtop.de/start/) as a menu system for a USB key and apps set up on it.

Anyway, aside from standard menu capability, you can set up an app to run when you exit the menu system.

I've written an AutoIt script to scan all running applications to see if any are still running from the USB Key's drive, and terminate them (ProcessClose) for all that are (except the script itself and the menu program).

It works fine, but rather than just slamming the door closed on these apps, I'd like to get them to terminate gracefully if possible.

Now when you try to shutdown and you have Word or Notepad open with an unsaved file, you get a warning. I figure that there must be something the shutdown process is doing to signal the applications to exit rather than just killing them.

I assume that's done through a DLL call, but regardless, does anyone know how to do that?

PART 2: While I've got your attention, one other thing. The SysInternals utility Handle can tell you all the files a specific process has open. I'd love to be able to do that and terminate processes that have files open on the USB key. Any hint would be of help.

Thanks!

...Now when you try to shutdown and you have Word or Notepad open with an unsaved file, you get a warning. I figure that there must be something the shutdown process is doing to signal the applications to exit rather than just killing them...

Maybe WinClose:

Remarks

This function sends a close message to a window, the result depends on the window (it may ask to save data, etc.). To force a window to close, use the WinKill function. If multiple windows match the criteria, the window that was most recently active is closed.

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Maybe WinClose:

Great idea!

However, WinClose needs the window title. Ignoring whether or not a window is actually visible, how do I get the Window title from the info returned by ProcessList [PID and Process Name]? I looked around and couldn't (easily) find how.

Great idea!

However, WinClose needs the window title. Ignoring whether or not a window is actually visible, how do I get the Window title from the info returned by ProcessList [PID and Process Name]? I looked around and couldn't (easily) find how.

try this:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=232243

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

• 2 months later...

You could use either:

WinClose ( "title" [, "text"] )

Remarks

This function sends a close message to a window (it may ask to save data, etc.).

WinKill ( "title" [, "text"] )

Remarks

WinKill will forcibly terminate the window if it doesn't close quickly enough.

Although WinKill can work on both minimized and hidden windows, some windows (notably explorer windows) can only be terminated using WinClose.

or ProcessClose ( "process" ), which you already know

In regards to part 2: I personally don't know of a way to duplicate that using autoit, but maybe one of the veterans do. Edit: Maybe this is what you are looking for:

Window Handles / HWNDs

The variant datatype in AutoIt natively supports window handles (HWNDs). A window handle is a special value that windows assigns to a window each time it is created. When you have a handle you may use it in place of the title parameter in any of the function calls that use the title/text convention. The advantage of using window handles is that if you have multiple copies of an application open - which have the same title/text - you can uniquely identify them when using handles. When you use a window handle for the title parameter then the text parameter is completely ignored.

Various functions such as WinGetHandle, WinList and GUICreate return these handles. It is important to note that a window handle is not classed as a number or string - it is it's own special type.

Note: Window handles will work no matter what WinTitleMatchMode is currently in use.

Example

$handle = WinGetHandle("Untitled - Notepad", "")

WinClose($handle)

Edited by Sorian