Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greenman

Is AutoIT a full programming language?

9 posts in this topic

Hi

I have used AutoIT for a couple of jobs and I am impressed with its power. Is AutoIT suitable to use as a full programming language? It seems pretty close to me, but I would be interested to hear the opinion of those more knowledgeable than me.

Most people call it a "scripting" language but its fairly functional.

What I want to know is could AutoIT be used instead of Delphi, or VB etc. What are the limitations of AutoIT?

For some projects it probably could, it all depends on what your trying to achieve, if you put your mind to it and possibly use Dll's and such you can probably get autoit to do whatever you want

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

I was going to say, this is better off in the General discussion forum, only to find that its gone!! lol! :P:D

Anyway.... although Autoit`s main purpose is still as a scripting language, with all of the add-in libraries people are providing, I believe that it is becoming a more general purpose one.

Happy Boxing Day! :)

Edited by Lakes

2015 - Still no flying cars, instead blankets with sleeves.

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

Look here what are limitations of AutoIt.

Also you can't make DLL files in AutoIt.

But for most of simple (also for not simple ones) projects it's real alternative to VB/Delphi.

Edited by Zedna

Impressive, thos foncs are not used by more than 99% of users, Autoit IS a full programming tool!

Sorry for my Bad English.

I would say for a lot of applications AutoIt could be a replacement for VB/Delphi. I have used AutoIt in many instances to create full applications for clients and employers alike.

The developers have tried to keep AutoIt's perspective down to a scripting language, but with adding the GUI to allow further customization to your automation scripts the language has advanced.

I hope this helps some,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)