How to run consecutive programs?

I've just started using AutoIt3 and I'm trying to run multiple programs consecutively to check my system for viruses and spyware etc...

I've searched the forums; maybe I'm not searching for the right keywords.

I've only used languages like QBasic and now I just completed my second programming class with .NET, I really like VB.NET.

So anyways, I want to run a program that scans for viruses and then close it after the scan has been completed and immediately start the next program which will scan for say spyware perhaps. How can you tell when a scan is complete in order to take the necessary steps to delete any findings and then close the initial program?

I have no trouble starting a program and getting it to scan, but how do I know when the scan is done so I can continue?

Is there a way to tell if a program is now idle? Not doing anything\done scanning?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I think AutoIt is great and that it's a very powerful resource, unfortunately I've only been using it for about 2 days now so I'm in the dark about quite a bit.

Thanks

I don't know if this works for you but the easiest way might be to use WinWait to wait until a confirmation dialog box pops up from the AV software. Does anything happen when a virus scan is complete?

While ProcessExists('Andrews bad day.exe')
	BlockInput(1)
	SoundPlay('Music.wav')
	SoundSetWaveVolume('Louder')
WEnd

No pop ups, buttons become enabled that weren't there prior to the scan. It would be so simple if the prgram would throw me a msgbox like pop up cos then I could use winwait like you said.

They all have progress bars though, is there any way to utilize the programs own progress bar I wonder?