Kana Attacks!

ReverendJ1

Hello everyone. I have developed a game for learning the Japanese kana (Japanese phonetic alphabets - katakana and hiragana) characters. It is sort of a cross between 'Space Invaders' and 'Typing of the Dead'. The kana fall from the sky, trying to destroy your city. Your only defense is to blast them with your arufabetto (japanese for alphabet) laser, by typing in their romaji (roman style alphabet) equivalent. The faster you type them in the more points you get. You get negative points for typing the wrong thing, and also when a kana hits the ground. If all the buildings in your city get destroyed, then the game is over. Otherwise, it ends after three increasingly difficult rounds.

Features:

- Allows you to choose any combination of kana rows to study

- Before playing allows for brief study while choosing characters

- Completely portable. (Does not write any settings to registy or mess with any files outside of it's own folder) Download the zip and unzip it to your USB flash drive for kana practice anywhere!

- Pause feature (will pause whenever another window is clicked, or 'Pause' is pressed)

- Saves high scores

- Sweet original Nintendo style graphics, due to my not being much of an artist, and only having MS Paint

- Awesome (okay pretty cheesy, I'll admit) story

I made it because I kind of teach Japanese and wanted a fun way for my students to study. I have gotten a very positive response from them, they say it has helped them more than anything else (i.e. flashcards). I thought I would post it here and see what you guys think. Please be gentle, this is my first project of this size. :-) If someone would want to jump on this project I would be very happy to have someone help with either graphics or coding, as there are a few bugs that I am not quite sure what to do with.

I have it hosted on Sourceforge right now, here are the links:

Kana Attacks! website

Kana Attacks! Setup Exe v0.91.0.13

Kana Attacks Source v0.91.0.13

Kana Attacks Zip (no installer) v0.91.0.13

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by ReverendJ1

Intresting, i could use this to try to remember all the hiragana and katakana that i have forgotten :-)

it would be nice if you could just press the right keys and get it to shoot, though i understand that may be very difficult if not impossible. also it would be nice if the game screen dident disappear when the input box pops up.

MUHAHAHAHAHA

Thank you! Feedback is appreciated! I am glad that someone is else can use this. :-) The reason for the input box is for slow typers basically, and to not overload people and stress them out too much while they are playing. My students I designed this for are mostly index-finger only typers. I know I had good reason why the screen disappeared when the input box came up when I made it, but I can't think of why now. Hmmm, maybe I will change that too. Maybe I will just make it pause the action when you start typing, sort of like it is, and just get rid of the input box altogether and have the letters you type show up on the screen. I will try this out for the next-next release. I was just about to release a new one with a couple changes. I also added the website link to the first post.

I have updated Kana Attacks! and edited the first post to reflect the changes. Here is the changelog for 0.91.0.13:

-Added options menu (only option is autoupdating at the moment)

-Added pause feature (will pause when you click out of the Kana Atacks! window)

-Fixed error where about box wouldn't show up after opening it once and going back to the title screen

-Fixed error so now you cannot change the text in the story

-Fixed error where game would freeze after exiting story

-Added score and OK button to ending

-Added OK button to end of story

-Made scoring not quite so harsh (-100 for mis-typed kana, -300 for missed kana)

• 1 year later...