Can't seem to read the text from a control

I'm running an app that appears to have a list box on it. Via AutoIT, I can click and/or dbl click in the list box. I'd like to read the text, however, under the current line in the list box.

Using ControlGetText, returns empty

I fired up AutoIT Window Info, and when I cursor over the list box, Window Info gives me a Control ID, but I see it also reads "Control is hidden". So, I'm thinking the program developers may have a hidden control on top of this list box...but that's just a guess. And, for that matter, it may not be a list box...even tho it looks like one. It does have several columns.

In any event...anyone have any ideas as to what I can try to read the text from one of the lines in the list box? I then want to mouse down one line, and read that line of text...until I've read all lines.

By the way, function _ListView_GetItemCount returns zero.

Thanks fellow nerds !!

• Moderators

I'm running an app that appears to have a list box on it. Via AutoIT, I can click and/or dbl click in the list box. I'd like to read the text, however, under the current line in the list box.

Using ControlGetText, returns empty

I fired up AutoIT Window Info, and when I cursor over the list box, Window Info gives me a Control ID, but I see it also reads "Control is hidden". So, I'm thinking the program developers may have a hidden control on top of this list box...but that's just a guess. And, for that matter, it may not be a list box...even tho it looks like one. It does have several columns.

In any event...anyone have any ideas as to what I can try to read the text from one of the lines in the list box? I then want to mouse down one line, and read that line of text...until I've read all lines.

By the way, function _ListView_GetItemCount returns zero.

Thanks fellow nerds !!

A little forum etiquette would be nice.

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...ult_type=topics

Your answer, despite whether you like it or not, was given the first time you asked the question.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Cut me some slack, Smoke....

First of all, yesterday was my first post...and I never got a reply...so not sure what you mean by "whether I like it or not".

2nd of all, this is a new post, with new information regarding hidden controls, in an attempt to find folks that may have worked around hidden controls.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but where did I breach protocol?

• Moderators

Cut me some slack, Smoke....

First of all, yesterday was my first post...and I never got a reply...so not sure what you mean by "whether I like it or not".

2nd of all, this is a new post, with new information regarding hidden controls, in an attempt to find folks that may have worked around hidden controls.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but where did I breach protocol?

Etiquette was meant that you are still talking about the same subject matter as your question yesterday, just because you worded it any differently, doesn't change the question... So there is no need to start more threads, just bump or edit one you've already started.

You're original question answered by me, the answer was a quote from the help file stating that some controls are not going to be able to be interacted with.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

geeees. Kinda harsh, man.

Seems like a reply of: "some controls are not going to be able to be interacted with" could apply to at least 1/2 the postings up here.

I didn't realize my question was completly void of attempts to a solution.

If that's your idea of a reply...then ok.

Not too friendly of a place up here.

I'll try... :)

In the Window Info Tool, make sure Options -> Highlight Controls is selected (has a checkmark by it).

Then try to get the info for that listbox like normal, and tell us, where does the black outline appear, around the listbox only, or around the entire inside of the window?

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

• Moderators

geeees. Kinda harsh, man.

Seems like a reply of: "some controls are not going to be able to be interacted with" could apply to at least 1/2 the postings up here.

I didn't realize my question was completly void of attempts to a solution.

If that's your idea of a reply...then ok.

Not too friendly of a place up here.

1. When I replied to your question yesterday, and then did the P.S. and told you ... that you posted in the wrong forum:

How so? I'm needing help reading Poker Stars graphical user interface....

I may have read that quote wrong, but I didn't take it kindly. So we may have gotten off on the wrong foot.

2. Yes you are right, saying that exact statement could apply to 1/2 the posts here (and probably does apply to a lot of them, because if done correctly there would have never have been a post to begin with), but I do know from experience, it does apply to yours. Believe it or not, this isn't my first rodeo with this particular question.

3. I don't see what difference it makes if this is a friendly or hostile environment if your questions are answered (as yours was). Personally, I could care less if I received a Valik thrashing, as long as my question was answered.

I'll try... :)

In the Window Info Tool, make sure Options -> Highlight Controls is selected (has a checkmark by it).

Then try to get the info for that listbox like normal, and tell us, where does the black outline appear, around the listbox only, or around the entire inside of the window?

Thanks Guy....

I only get a black border around the list box, when my mouse is over the first row of the box.

Anywhere else over the list box, the border goes away.

I do get get a control ID, regardless of where my mouse is over the box.

Hope that tells U something.